3 days pre-op and losing it! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days pre-op and losing it! 3 days pre-op and losing it!

Unread 07-21-2007, 03:51 PM
3 days pre-op and losing it!

I'm 35, scheduled for TAH / TVT-O this week (July 24). Have been dealing with horrible periods, heavy bleeding/clotting, and severe bloating for over two years now.

I've been really anxious for the big day ... that is, until yesterday. I had my final pre-op appt, lab work, anethesist consultation, etc, and all went well. Yesterday was also my last day of work until Sept 10th (if all goes well). So it is really sinking in now. I'm getting nervous. I've had several surgeries before, had epidurals with my pregnancies, am not afraid of hospitals, needles, or anethesia. Never been this nervous prior to any other procedures. I love my Dr. and completely trust her. My house is in order, I'm basically packed, and DS is off to G&G's for the next week. DH is an absolute saint .... extremely supportive, and I have lots of great family and friends around to help too.

So, I don't know why I'm so stressed! I'm extremely nervous, depressed, and hormonal right now. Don't know how I'm going to make it through the next 3 days. Heck, I even started sobbing while watching Doc Hollywood earlier. Just don't know what to do to pass the time.

So, figured there are some of you out there who are probably headed to the castle this week, and may be having the same issues. Any of you feeling this way? Am I going crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Hi Huskerjen,
Mine Is Also Scheduled For The 24th. I Am Excited In One Way And Terrified In Another Way. I Can't Wait To Be Finally Done With The Pain And Frustration, But I Am Terrified About Being Put To Sleep. I Had A Tubuligation Almost 7 Years Ago, And I Was Awake The Whole Time. Therefore, I Dont Know What To Expect And The Unknown Can Be Fearful. No, You Are Not Going Crazy From What I Have Been Reading, Others Feel The Same Way Too. I Do Hope You Will Find A Way To Relax. I Found By Writing How I Was Feeling During This Ordeal Has Helped Me A Lot. Then, When It Is All Over I Can Look Back At It And Hopefully Laugh At How Much I Put Myself Through. BEST WISHES TO YOU, AND HEAL WELL!
Unread 07-21-2007, 04:15 PM

You're not going crazy... just going through the normal stresses and worries... I don't think having a hyster is like any other surgery... this is a major change in a woman's life. You'll do fine and we'll all be here for you when you cross over to the other side! s to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2007, 05:03 PM

You aren't crazy for feeling nervous. A good cry cleanses the soul, gets rid of that negative energy, so if you feel like crying, let it go.

I wasn't as nervous as I was excited to get rid of the mattress I carried between my legs every month! Just try to think about how much better you'll feel after your castle visit. I was actually even looking forward to being put to sleep . I would have preferred sleeping for a few weeks, until I felt better. But my doctor wouldn't help me out with that request.

I must say, I did get a strange feeling when I was asked to walk into the operating room!! Yes!,I said WALK into the operating room! I wasn't scared exactly. I just kept thinking, "Is this really happening, or am I already asleep and dreaming?" I'm the type who closes her eyes when I see a nurse come into the room with a needle. It doesn't even matter if it's for me or my roommate, the eyes are closed! Feeling more like a prisoner than a patient while walking down the wide hallway of an old building, I kept telling myself to not look around the operating room when I finally got there. But, I was shocked at the size of the cavernous room and I couldn't help but look around.

Then the nurses made me laugh when they said "hop up on this table". I looked at them like they were nuts! The table was much too high and with my 10lb fibroids , I wasn't HOPPING anywhere!!! I wouldn't let them give me the IV until I made sure that I told the anesthesiologist to make sure I was asleep B4 they touched me!!

But this type of thing doesn't happen to everyone. LOL, I hope this doesn't make you more nervous than you already are.

Honestly, I'm sure everything will go well for you and you will be telling yourself that you wasted all that time worrying.

Good luck, try to relax , and let us know how you feel when you are home again.
Unread 07-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capemay
I wasn't as nervous as I was excited to get rid of the mattress I carried between my legs every month!

Mattress sounds just right! If you can believe this, I had to borrow a relative's adult diapers towards the end! Embarrassing, yes, but at least I didn't have to worry about passing the large blood clots, that believe me, pads do not respond to well.
Unread 07-21-2007, 08:50 PM

Believe me Huskerjen, the waiting really is the hardest part. I was terrified of needles, anesthesia, and the procedure in general, but came through it just fine. Wishing both you ladies an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery.

Hugs,

Debbie
Unread 07-21-2007, 09:16 PM

I am also scheduled for the 24th and I'm getting nervous too.
I was supposed to go in yesterday- the 20th but on my pre-op the dr found I had an ear infection. She asked me if it hurt and honestly I have been so distracted that I didn't notice!
So she felt that I would be better off going on anti-biotics for a few days and reschedule for Tuesday.
I was disappointed and then started having second thoughts- like maybe I'm not supposed to do this and this is my chance to get out of it.
But after reading some more posts and researching some more I realize that I have to push ahead and hope for the best.

I found that I needed something to look forward to that had nothing to do with illness- so I have been building a "studio" in my spare room. I have always liked to paint- but never had the time with work and family. Now I have the time and it will be a positive thing to do over the next few weeks. I have paints, a drafting table with an adjustable chair and enough materials to make a few paintings. I told my surgeon my plan and she asked if she could have the first painting- she wants to hang it on the wall in her exam room to show other patients what "post-op" can look like. ( so it will have to be something serene and peaceful.- like a Hawaiian sunset )And I like the idea of giving something back that might help someone else.

So my advise it to distract yourself and focus on something positive you can do in the next few weeks. Not too challenging but something to look forward to help you get through the next few days. Good Luck and Best Wishes for a speedy recovery

Unread 07-21-2007, 09:22 PM

I know exactly what you mean!! My surgery is the 26th and I am going crazy! I keep thinking I am making a mistake. Maybe my periods weren't so bad, maybe the pain wasn't that bad, maybe I should wait until it is more convenient for me and so on. I cry at the drop of a hat and nobody seems to be saying the right things to make me feel better. I know in my mind that this is the right time and the right surgery but my emotions are WACKO!!! Good luck, I am glad you have so much wonderful support~that will help! I will be thinking about you on the 24th!
Unread 07-21-2007, 09:51 PM

Hang in there. Just think of all the pain and the bleeding that will be gone in just a few days. Remember how much both of these have taken over your life. I went through two and a half years of it and was soooo relieved to finally have it over and done with.

It's normal to be nervous. You aren't losing it. It helps to have an occasional good cry. We are all here for you.

Hugs to you!
Unread 07-22-2007, 02:58 AM

Nope you arent losing it. You're normal like the rest of us. My surgery is Thurs. the 26th and as I worked my tail off today getting my house ready I forgot to eat lunch. Bad thing for me. So after dinner I managed to drop a glass of milk not once but twice, started crying, DH asked what was wrong and I told him to stay where he was,cleaned up the mess then went in the bedroom curl up on the bed, hugged my pillow, cried and came out 5mins later feeling a little better. My emotions are a total wreck, the out of control, cant sleep half the time. I cant wait for drug induced sleep.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register