Other Placenta Percreta surivors? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Other Placenta Percreta surivors? Other Placenta Percreta surivors?

Unread 06-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Other Placenta Percreta surivors?

I had my hysterectomy on January 7, in conjuction with a c-section. We found at during delivery that I had Placenta Percreta. My placenta had grown out of my uterus and into a major artery, as well as breaching my bowel and bladder. I lost all my blood, was transfused 18 units, and woke up in ICU three days after surgery.

I have yet to find other survivors of this rare obstetric complication, and am looking to find them.

I have a lot of issues post surgery, and am most likely looking at going back into theatre some time this year, in hope that things get resolved.

Looking forward to meeting some others in similar situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Re: Other Placenta Percreta surivors?

WOW! You are very lucky and blessed. I have not been through this but I just wanted to give you my best wishes on healing.
Unread 11-10-2012, 03:04 AM

Hi! I am 6 weeks post surgery and I too had a placenta percreta. My placenta did not invade my bladder luckily it was just pressed against it. I had a total hysterectomy, cervix, and tubes too. I too had a transfusion but didnt have to stay in the ICU. I can't imagine having to face something like this again, I'm so glad it's over. Did you know going in about all that was involved? My surgery was nt a surprise, but we weren't sure if my bladder was involved. Thanks for sharing your story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM

Hi there! Nice to meet you! Sorry to hear you also had percreta, but I'm glad you came through! HOw are you doing now?

I've had more surgery this year and will most likely go back for more next year. *sigh* It's been a rough year. My percreta was undiagnosed, so the surgeons were very surprised to find it. Most likely why I have such a mess to fix up now too
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:57 PM

The pathologists have yet to truly figure out what I had but my doctor was clasifying it as Placenta Acreta. It had not gone through my uterine wall. Here's my story...

My husband and I currently have a 5 year old son, and last year we thought it would be a good time to add a new little person to the family (before I was over 35) We had been trying for 6 months when I finally got a positive pregnancy test in March 2012. When I went in for a 8 week check up, we had a heartbeat...I was so relieved because they say once you hear the heartbeat miscarriage chances drop. In June I went in to have an NT scan at 13 weeks, there was no heartbeat, the size of the fetus measured 8 weeks. I had a D&C the next day. In July, at my 4 week post op check up, I was still bleeding so we did an ultrasound. There was evidently remaining tissue from pregnancy. I had another D&C the following day. In an ultrasound 2 weeks post op, they still found remaining tissue. At this point they had tossed around the idea of me having a Molar Pregnancy or and Acreta. I had another D&C in August as one final attempt to remove the tissue. No such luck. At this point I was directed to see a Gynological Oncologist. By this time I had had a CT scan to make sure the tissue was not growing outside of my uterus, the CT scan only showed large amounts of tissue in my uterus..this was good, right?

Since meeting with the Oncologist at the beginning of October I had another CT scan, which showed up clear and pathologists have re-reviewed my prior pathology. Everything is showing up clear of cancer, this was good; however, it didn't change the fact that I still had tissue from a pregnancy 6 months old. My body was still acting pregnant...I had HCG levels, big sore boobs, no period. After discussing with both my doctor and oncologist concerns for future pregnancy, I decided to move forward with the hysterectomy.

Tonight I heard back from my oncologist regarding the pathology. She didn't have any real answers for me other than it is not cancer. Evidently the tissue that was in my uteruse was similar to a placenta of a 17-18 week fetus and was very large. All of the pathologists are stumped and having "fun" trying to figure this one out. They also removed my left ovary and falopian tube because of cysts and the doctor said they looked like I was 8 months pregnant. That's about where I would be in pregnancy right now...I was due 12/14.

Now I'm ready to heal up and hopefully get my body back to normal...Ugh...it's been a long 8 months!
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:48 PM

Oh man, I'm so sorry to read your story. That's such a long time to be dealing with that. I'm so sorry for your loss too

I hope your recovery goes well x
Unread 11-21-2012, 02:36 AM

I had a placenta acreta and my doctor was stumped by me. All I can say is God had his hand on me. I gave birth on Sept 6 after being induced for high blood pressure. She had a little difficulty delivering the placenta but it eventually came out and she swept my uterus and all like she would for any vaginal delivery. Everything was fine, I went home and all. I never had really bad bleeding and it stopped around 4 weeks and then started spotting at 6 weeks thinking my period was coming. At 6 weeks post partum I went in for a tubal ligation. Very early during surgery, my doctor accidentally poked my uterus with one of the instruments. Usually if that happens it is no big deal since the uterus is a thick muscle. Well I kept bleeding and she couldn't get it to stop. Every time she tried to stitch the little hole, my muscle tore more. She ended up having to do an open incision because it wasn't working laparoscopically. When she still couldn't get the bleeding to stop and I had lost a lot of blood, she spoke with my husband and decided I needed a hysterectomy. She took my uterus, cervix and tubes. I was supposed to be in surgery for one hour and ended up being five hours. When I woke up in recovery I knew something was wrong because I was in a hospital bed instead of a stretcher. (I'm a nurse). Anyways two days later the pathologist called my doctor and told her I has a placenta acreta. The fact I didn't hemorrhage when my son was born is a miracle. And thank God I went in for a tubal otherwise who knows what could have happened since we didn't know it was there. My doctor is still stumped by it.
Anyways, sorry my story is so long. I'm sorry you ladies went through so much. I luckily didn't need to be in the ICU since that's the department I work in. Surprisingly I didn't need any transfusions post op either although I was dizzy at times and ghostly looking from my blood loss.
Unread 11-21-2012, 02:39 AM

Sorry if there are typos, I'm on my phone while rocking the baby...I read on my phone to stay awake lol
Unread 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM

I'll be praying for all of us through our recoveries. Thank you for sharing your stories it's comforting to know their are other odd balls out there like me.
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:14 AM

Hello my name is Jackie and I am also a percreta survivor. I had my hysterectomy on November 28, 2012 at the time I was 22 weeks along with our 4th child. We had to terminate the pregnancy and proceed to hysterectomy. Luckily this was diagnosed antenatally so the team was assembled and prepared for what lay ahead of them. It had invaded my bladder and I had that repaired as well.

That is just a very brief run down for ya. Nice to meet you even if it is under these circumstances.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register