LAVH 8 days post hysterectomy: is there any harm I may be doing to myself by working hard on my daily activity? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 days post hysterectomy:  is there any harm I may be doing to myself by working hard on my daily activity? 8 days post hysterectomy: is there any harm I may be doing to myself by working hard on my daily activity?

Unread 10-21-2016, 11:06 PM
8 days post hysterectomy: is there any harm I may be doing to myself by working hard on my daily activity?

Hello
I had my procedure on Oct 13, 2016 and it's been just a little over one week. Staying put at home is driving me crazy. I wanted to return to work 4 days after my surgery but was told not until my 2 week follow up. Since I am so use to being on the go everyday I have been pushing hard on walking long distances, grocery shopping and do housework on the 4th day after my surgery. Now it's been 8 days and I feel great but I'm afraid if I do too much too soon will I risking myself for any setbacks on returning to work? What I have noticed now I take long naps after my daily activities and I never did before and I don't like that. Although I feel fine is there any harm that I may be doing to myself by working hard on my daily activity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2016, 12:54 AM
Re: Abby

Hi, Your body is recovering & still needs rest..Ive found it best to break up activities, hydrate well, rest & repeat. That way, youre less likely to over do it.

I walked in the AM then rest. I would also walk around the house evertime I went into the kitchen or bathroom. I wiped counters, washed dishes day 6. Laundry I walked a few items at a time, & walking many trips to laundry rm. That way I never lifted amything heavy. Your Dr really needs to release you from restrictions & that includes work. Fatigue is your body neededing to heal. Recovery isnt something that pushing yourself will make you get thru recovery faster. In fact, becareful you dont have a set back. It gets better..
Unread 10-22-2016, 05:21 AM
Re: 8 days post hysterectomy: is there any harm I may be doing to myself by working hard on my daily activity?

Accept that you've had major surgery with multiple internal incisions you can't see, all of which need healing and that takes time. Healing isn't a straight line with scar tissue forming and getting stronger. Instead it comes in stages with initial scar tissue dissolving as it's replaced by the next round of scar tissue. When the earlier scar tissue dissolves, we're likely to feel twinges and zingers, and we're susceptible to stretching or rupturing something. It could delay internal healing, and possibly cause adhesions - which could lead to more surgery down the road. Yes, you could be doing harm by doing too much too soon.

Two articles here give some great information. Body Mechanics Post-Op to help you understand what's going on internally and Post-Op Restrictions.

Like Laila said, you're napping because your body is healing and you cannot make yourself heal faster by doing more. Healing needs to be thought of in terms of weeks, rather than days, and full healing is more like 3-6 months. Final link, you may want to watch the videos on the Recovery Splash page. You might be feeling great, but your fatigue is trying to tell you something. Do listen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2016, 06:34 AM
8 days post hysterectomy: is there any harm I may be doing to myself by working hard on my daily activity?

Good morning Abgl1976, to Hystersisters, and to our post-op forum!
I agree with the previous posters. Certain activities, like sweeping, vacuuming and lifting laundry baskets use our core muscles in ways we may not realize, which is why they're usually restricted during your recovery. I remember my family's two German shepherds were shedding their winter coats during my recovery, and we ended up with enough hair to knit a sweater! You also need to slow down your activities, so your body can put its energy into the healing process. After your surgeon has cleared you, at around 6-8 weeks, you'll probably be almost back to normal, and ready to resume all your normal activities. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 10-22-2016, 07:01 AM
Re: 8 days post hysterectomy: is there any harm I may be doing to myself by working hard on my daily activity?

It's not a push-through recovery, it's an ease-through recovery. You have lots of stitches inside, and yes, you can tear them open and cause yourself complications.

You need to listen to your body and be kind to it. If it wants a nap, take a nap. If it wants some exercise, go for a walk. Walk until your body says it's just barely beginning to feel tired, then head for home and have a sit. If you feel rested after sitting a while, go for another walk.

Your #1 job right now is your recovery and taking care of yourself so that you can recover well. Anything else is like #99. I'm not saying that you can't do anything at all around the house, but if it involves using your abdominal muscles or lifting more than 10 lb, it's not your problem. Either someone else will do it or it won't get done. (I live alone, so there was a lot of stuff that simply didn't get done.)
Unread 10-22-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abgl1976 View Post
Hello
I had my procedure on Oct 13, 2016 and it's been just a little over one week. Staying put at home is driving me crazy. I wanted to return to work 4 days after my surgery but was told not until my 2 week follow up. Since I am so use to being on the go everyday I have been pushing hard on walking long distances, grocery shopping and do housework on the 4th day after my surgery. Now it's been 8 days and I feel great but I'm afraid if I do too much too soon will I risking myself for any setbacks on returning to work? What I have noticed now I take long naps after my daily activities and I never did before and I don't like that. Although I feel fine is there any harm that I may be doing to myself by working hard on my daily activity?
I did everything you mentioned in the first days after my surgery. If you are following your Drs instructions and also not pushing yourself so hard that you are constantly exhausted and sore, my opinion is that you should be ok. I followed my Drs restrictions, but pretty much lived my normal life minus those things. I grocery shopped, walked a ton, cooked, baked, light cleaned,etc. For the first week or so, I went to bed really early, (not a napper!) but I gradually was able to stay up later. I think that the need to nap will lessen pretty soon for you. It is entirely normal.
Unread 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Thank you. I have learned the hard way to relax and slowly move around to recover properly.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
Hi, Your body is recovering & still needs rest..Ive found it best to break up activities, hydrate well, rest & repeat. That way, youre less likely to over do it.

I walked in the AM then rest. I would also walk around the house evertime I went into the kitchen or bathroom. I wiped counters, washed dishes day 6. Laundry I walked a few items at a time, & walking many trips to laundry rm. That way I never lifted amything heavy. Your Dr really needs to release you from restrictions & that includes work. Fatigue is your body neededing to heal. Recovery isnt something that pushing yourself will make you get thru recovery faster. In fact, becareful you dont have a set back. It gets better..
Unread 11-11-2016, 08:11 AM

I, too, am having a hard time with the restrictions. I'm used to working 12 hour shifts 4 days a week and doing vigorous workouts. I initially had myself convinced I would be back at work in 2 weeks. Reality finally set in that I could never follow my restrictions at work (I work in a busy NICU, lifting oxygen tanks, moving incubators, attending high risk deliveries, etc). I'm 9 days postop from LAVH and just have to accept that walking is my big exercise and I do need help with stuff at home. I did get the ok today to do gentle yoga, and am very excited about that! It's hard to put that super woman cape away, but you have to focus on yourself and healing the right way!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register