Two months from today, ACK! It's all new to me! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two months from today, ACK! It's all new to me! Two months from today, ACK! It's all new to me!

Unread 10-26-2000, 04:49 PM
Two months from today, ACK! It's all new to me!

Hi, I'm Kim from Florida. I have one of those medical histories that'll make you lovely gals be glad for your own.....lupus, kidney transplant, hep C from transfusion while dialyzing years ago waiting for that kidney....but now the doozie for this year: looking at a vaginal hysterectomy (I don't even know if it's LAVH or just VH!..heck, it could be the VA or the NOW or EPA, there are just TOO MANY INITIALS! LOL) I'm upbeat about it. On the Pill my blood pressure was dangerously high. Off the Pill, messed up periods. The plan is to leave the one remaining ovary I have (despite tendency to grow cysts) and avoid the need for hormones any earlier than necessary. I will be 40 in Feb. No kids, can't have them due to med hx anyway. So, another surgery for me isn't that big a deal. I'll be checking in periodically and trying to be informed about things. Insurance may be an issue, taking time off work (HOW MUCH TIME!? And not knowing whether I'll wake up and have had a vaginal hyst. or if they have to do it abdominally due to my kidney transplant and scar tissue, what fun!) The upside: NO PERIODS! haha. Would love to chat or hear from anyone. Am I going to gain EVEN MORE WEIGHT than I did on the Pill, if I at least keep an ovary and don't go on hormones!? Already feeling porky enough at 5'5" 153 lbs. Sorry to ramble. Blessings on your day!
:-)
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2000, 05:09 PM

Hey Sprite Welcome to the site.
Wow, I can't believe after all you've gone through, you have to do this, too! Thanks for sharing your story. Keep up the great attitude!
Unread 10-26-2000, 08:29 PM
Thanks, Holly

I loved your little smiley faces. Your operative procedures are all new to me. I hope it all goes well for you, too. I may move my surgery date up, need to work out my schedule with work. Do you work?! With three kids, I wouldn't imagine you do, or could, but if you do, you deserve a crown.Thanks again, you made my night
Sprite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2000, 08:29 AM

Hi Kim and welcome ! I'm so glad you found this site - it helped me tremendously! I was so confused and terrified , but everyone here helped me understand everything that was going to happen and answered all my questions. You will need to take at LEAST 4 weeks off work, preferably 6. I had an abdominal hysterectomy, and went back after 5 weeks. Oh, and I'm not sure about everyone else's experience with weight gain, but I actually lost a bit due to not being able to eat for awhile (nauseated) after the surgery. I'm 11 weeks post-op now, and haven't gained any back. I feel great and it's so nice to be pain-free and period-free!
Unread 10-27-2000, 12:09 PM

Your title indicated your TVH was maybe 2 months away? Mine is Dec. 26 so we may be close together in timing. Some Christmas present, huh? Maybe we can be nervous together.

Although, you've been through enough to where this should be a breeze! Hearing what others have gone through does indeed put your own life in perspective. Your a brave lady to have gone through all you have and still be upbeat. I draw my stregnth from God.

Good luck to you!

Unread 10-27-2000, 01:10 PM

Hi Kim, welcomed to this site . You'll love it: the ladies are full of information and are VERY supportive .

You said your surgery is in two months: mine is in 7 weeks, so looking forward to sharing impressions, and all.

I'm scheduled for TAH/BSO with Rectocele repair and my doctor said I would be off work for 6 weeks. I'm really not looking forward to that, since I'm starting a new job on the 6th Nov. (I know: who needs the additional stress
). However, as you'll see repeated often on this board, we only one chance to heal right!!

Good luck,

Unread 10-27-2000, 10:54 PM
Thank you for all your support

I am overwhelmed by your kind support to my queries. I'll try to stay in touch with everybody! I'm happy to report that my boss was totally cool about my taking off work, I actually am going to try and move the date to Dec 12 from the 26th so I'll be human again by Christmas (hope hope). Spent a fortune at Bath and Body Works today getting my Xmas shopping done! I'm doing research and hearing what others have to face makes mine seem easy. Granted, my colorful med hx is extensive, but hey, AS LONG AS THEY GIVE ME A BIG DOSE OF VERSED PRE OP, and lots of good drugs afterwards (lol) I'll be fine! Where on earth did you guys get all those cute little moving icons on your posts!? They cracked me up! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
Kim in Florida
Unread 10-28-2000, 07:43 AM

Hi Sprite,
Hey, move your date to the 12th and we'll be going the same day. You certainly get the prize for the most history, whew! Good thing you have the right attitude. Keeps me on track just listening (or should I say reading) to you. I am hoping for a TVH but my doc says may have to go adominally if the fibroids are too big.
After reading the posts I hope that the 4 weeks off work and coming back for two weeks half day is realistic. My work is very supportive and I know if I need more time I can get it. I have enough sick days for 8-1/2 weeks total so I am not too worried about it. I wanted to mention Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). My supervisor gave me the papers. By filling them out it insures I go back to my same job even if complications happen and I am out longer than expected. It also covers my employer if I abuse the situation. I encourage all to look into this.
Welcome Sprite!
Karen
Unread 10-28-2000, 08:37 AM

Thanks SMADAK for your kind words. I'm hoping the 12th of Dec flies, as my boyfriend can be here for me then. And he'll have his three active daughters here from Ohio for Xmas, so that means I will put up decorations BEFORE Thanksgiving and they may not come down till Valentine's Day! haha. I am a liaison for an organ procurement organization and drive 600 miles per week, on average, so the "return to driving" is going to be a pain. I'll be chomping at the bit to get back out in my 12 hospitals. I don't do much lifting, just walking, teaching and lots of driving and sitting. I already know from past experience that I recuperate swiftly. Was out of hospital in less than 7 days post-transplant (big time ab surgery) and I did break the no-driving rule early-on, with no ill effects. Laughing was actually the thing that hurt worst, but I didn't let that stop me. Hey, they gave me a kidney shaped pillow to hold against my belly when I sat up or laughed or coughed (easier to hold onto the incision, lest a staple fly out and poke me or someone in the eye!LOL)...so what will they give us? A uterus-shaped pillow!? Oh, how about a big Kotex-pad pillow in honor of not needing them (once we've recovered completely!). Just kidding. You guys are all so great. I never expected so much response. What pain meds did they give for ya'll post-op!?
Unread 10-28-2000, 08:02 PM

Kim, when you are at "the posting form" you will see, at the top of the screen, a whole bunch of things including a line that reads: Click Here for the Smilies Legend. That's where all the smilies are. They're fun. All you have to do is ensure that the "Disable Smilies in This Post" box is NOT ticked off and that you have ticked of the "enable Smilies" box in your profile form.

Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register