How strange does it feel waking up? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How strange does it feel waking up? How strange does it feel waking up?

Unread 11-19-2004, 10:13 PM
How strange does it feel waking up?

I have these huge fibroids, and I've become used to feeling them. What's it going to feel like waking up without them in the hospital? Will I feel relieved, free of a burden? Or will I feel injured, vulnerable, freaked out, with a big bandage on me and a big part of my body missing?? I know it's not rational to feel that way, but I have strange reactions sometimes when under so much stress. Did anybody feel really different, strange, depressed etc. when they woke up? Did it go away pretty quick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2004, 10:43 PM

I also had huge fibroids. I had some pain in the recovery room, but they controlled that very quickly. From then on, I felt major relief from the fibroids being gone. It has been over 3 months and I am still delighted! Good luck to you, Dee
Unread 11-20-2004, 07:43 PM

Thank you both so much for your input, it's really encouraging.

Anybody else remember how they felt when they woke up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2004, 07:54 PM

Hi,

I was very alert in recovery which surprised me. Previous surgeries I remember nurses speaking my name over and over trying to get me to stay awake. I also felt great relief the surgery was over. I also had huge fibroids. I don't miss them or my very painful or very heavy periods. I joked with my friends that I was going to have a tampax party to give away all my extras. I am still sore, achy and tired but am extremely happy with my decision to have TAH. My baby days have been over for a long time my youngest is 14. I saw no reason to keep making myself suffer every couple of weeks. My periods also started getting closer at the end they were 2 1/2 weeks apart. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. Just to remind me one more time I had the worst period ever the week before surgery. I also was pretty much a basket case before surgery worrying about it all. But since surgery all anxiety is long gone. I wish you all the best for a quick and speedy recovery.

Kelly
Unread 11-20-2004, 07:59 PM
waking up

Hi purplesea,

I will be going for my hysterectomy on Dec 9. I had a tubal ligation last year in October and when I woke up I felt like I was dying and felt as if I was gasping air and when I tried to talk the nurse had her back to me doing something else and quietly telling me she didn't understand what I was saying!! and this is what is making me very nervous this time.
When are is your surgery?

I have a few fibroids and I look like I am 5 months pregnant, heavy bleeding resulting in low iron levels, and I also had an abnormal pap test six years ago and had LEEP procedure done.

muppets
Unread 11-20-2004, 08:14 PM

oh my god is that scary. Do you remember what they did for you? Did she give you an oxygen mask?
Unread 11-20-2004, 08:14 PM

When I woke up in the recovery room I was pretty much in a daze but in no pain. I really was in-and-out it the day after surgery but the next day I woke up with a big smile on my face that the fibroids would no longer control my life. I am seven weeks post-op and just realized the other day I have not had severe backaches which were caused by the fibroids. I no longer have to look at my calendar if I get invited somewhere. I used to turn down invitations because I was afraid I would have heavy bleeding. For me, the hysterectomy gave me back my life but everyone is different. As everyone says, the waiting is the worse part and that is true!!!

Best wishes to you.
Sue
Unread 11-20-2004, 09:48 PM

Purplesea - I don't come here much since I'm 6 months post op but I had to reply to your post. I woke up feeling wonderful. My hubby was in the room with me and after I said "Hi Hon", the next words out of my mouth were "I feel so good". I had a hard time staying awake at first as they had put some Gravol in my IV to prevent nausea. Once that IV was gone, it was all so easy. I felt so good that I was up and walking the halls that night. I would never have believed that I could feel so much better so quickly. Someone else described it as feeling "light" and that is truly the best way I can say it. I can breathe now - I can bend over to tie my shoes and not feel like I have a watermelon pressing on my lungs. (I also can wear white, haven't ruined a piece of clothing or furniture since my hyster and have almost got over the habit of looking at every chair, vehicle seat, etc. when I get up to make sure I haven't bled all over it but that's just an added bonus!!) I hope you enjoy this new phase of your life as much as I am! Good luck!
Unread 11-20-2004, 11:24 PM

I felt like a deflated balloon once they got that mess out of me! Yes, I had post op pain, but it was very well managed with PCA in my spinal.
Unread 11-21-2004, 02:07 PM

Muppets, make sure you tell both your doctor and your anesthesiologist about your previous experience in recovery. If it was due to a physical problem they can be prepared for it or if it was a symptom of panic attack or anxiety, they can be prepared for that as well. Anyone who has had an atypical experience with or after anesthesia should make sure both her doctor and her anesthesiologist knows about it.

I had a panic attack last year after surgery. I came out of anesthesia thinking I was having a heart attack -- I couldn't get enough air and my chest felt like someone was sitting on it. I'd had several surgical experiences over the last 10 years and never reacted like that before so I was convinced this was a physical problem. The more frightened I became, the worse it was. But, with 3 nurses, a doc and the anesthesiologist all working with me -- and the very quick administration of Ativan into my IV -- I calmed down and by the time I was wheeled to my room, the experience was just like a dream.

I was told, however, to make sure that my doc and anesthesiologist know about that incident before any future surgeries. Better to plan ahead.

Chris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register