Any smokers out there..questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any smokers out there..questions Any smokers out there..questions

Unread 12-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Any smokers out there..questions

Hi All,
I went to my pre=op today & am now scared out of my mind! :eyes: He said due to my smoking I may have trouble breathing under anesthesia, bust my stitches frm coughing, pneumonia, ect.....has anyone had all these complications or any from smoking? I do have asthma, mytro valve prolaspe, & yes I smoke...I know it's not the smartest thing to do, I was trying to cut down & quit but as you smokers know give us an excuse & we'll smoke like a chiminey. Any reasurring info?

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2005, 08:14 PM

Hi Lori
I am also a smoker. If you search "smoker" on this site, you will find lots of threads dealing with it.
I had no problems with my anaesthetic, coughing or breathing. But I don't have your asthma problems either. I was out for a smoke the day after my surgery (against my DR's wishes but with her permission).
I normally smoke about 12 per day, cut down a bit the couple days prior to surgery but was right back to normal a week later.

Autumn
Unread 12-07-2005, 08:20 PM

Hi Lori,
I am also a smoker and I didn't have any problems at all.

I had a lap in February of this year and then my hyst in June. I had general anesthesia with both and never had the first bit of trouble.

I never really have alot of coughing (then or now), but if you do and you are having a TAH I would recommend getting a small pillow for your tummy. You can hold it against your stomach when you cough or sneeze.

Like Autumn Moon; I also went out to smoke the next day after my surgery, but I got my DR's permission. He didn't like it, but he allowed it.

Also, I'm sure they probably told you not to smoke after midnight the night before your surgery. I did try real hard to stick with that, but I was so nervous the morning of my surgery that I broke down and smoked half of a cigarette.

Good luck to you with your upcoming surgery. I hope you have a smooth recovery.
Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2005, 08:30 PM

Cheryl
I had a smoke on the way to the hospital....stupid or what?

At my pre-op, my DR told me that I might experience some coughing from the anaesthetic so I should pick up some hard candies or HALLS/VICKS to help.

Maybe someday I will quit.
Autumn
Unread 12-07-2005, 08:49 PM

also a smoker of 22 years here. was told not to smoke midnight on as metioned before. which i didnt cause dr in feb for my leep aske di f had a cig before i came in while i was on operating table and i had and felt like a total loser cause i couldnt go without that day. didnt smoke until i left the castle 2 days later. as far as i know i didnt have any probs with coughing or recovery from anasthesia. hope all goes well for u in surgery and during recovery. take it easy and rest and walk and drink!!!! also use the pillow. it does help
Unread 12-08-2005, 06:34 AM

I am a smoker as well. I didn't smoke from midnight the night before my surgery and didn't have any complications with anesthesia. But like someone else said, I don't have asthma either.

Do your best to not smoke the day before your surgery. ( I know much EASIER SAID THAN DONE!!).

I didn't smoke at all during my hospital stay either, thought that just maybe I would have quit at that time, but low and behold, the minute I was released and got into the car to go home. I HAD TO HAVE ONE!!

Frustrated me because I would really love to quit! I say this of course with a cigarette right next to me as I type! It is such a filthy habit and an expensive one to boot! I wish there was a magic pill for this!

Feeling your frustration girl! Hang in there!

Sending you a big
Unread 12-08-2005, 11:05 AM

I am smoker, i smoke about 6 a day but they are cloves. My surgery is on the 14th (freaking the heck out) and my Dr. said that I needed to try to quite on my last appt. Well, the more I tried the more I smoke. My pre op is today at 2:45 so I will see what he says.
My mom and my sister both smoked up until the day of their surgeries and then smoked on the way home. They both did just fine!!!!

Good luck with your surgery and I hope everything goes smothly!!!!
Unread 12-08-2005, 07:25 PM

Hi Lori!
I smoke and I just got home today from LAVH on Tues Dec 6th. I didn't smoke while in the hospital. I had no cravings to. I still don't. I smoked a cigarette earlier and it didn't taste right. I don't have asthma so that may be the concern your Dr. has.
All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 12-08-2005, 09:21 PM

I smoked for over 30 yrs and had one my last one the night before my surgery.. and I am so proud to say I have never picked another one up yet and it has been six months now."Yay Me"... I could not smoke in the hospital and I was in for six days so I did not have one at all... and when I got home I just said to myself if i can go for six days then I can do six more... and so on and so on,,, ...
Unread 12-08-2005, 09:22 PM

Thank You everyone for your replies, I sure appreciate the encouraging words and can relate to all. I don't like being a smoker. in my case it's really crazy :eyes: It's 11:15pm & I'm so freaked, I had to come to the site to calm myself. I know all my sisters & the Lord will be with me! I will update as soon as I can.

's
Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register