Scheduled TAH Bowel prep and Pre Op SAME DAY!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep and Pre Op SAME DAY!! Bowel prep and Pre Op SAME DAY!!

Unread 03-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Bowel prep and Pre Op SAME DAY!!

My Drs office called and scheduled my preop appointments with me and I have some issues. My surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am on Tuesday, April 9th. My pre-op appts are at my Dr office that Monday April 8th then at the hospital at noon that Monday also. The receptionist asked me to come pick up prescription for bowel prep and instructions before so I did that a couple days ago. It is the bowel prep that is 4 liters and incredibly scary! The instructions say to start it at 8 am, drink 8 oz every ten minutes and continue til it is done and that it should start moving my bowels about an hour later! I asked the right there how I am supposed to do this bowel prep AND go to my Pre-op appointments? She said I should be fine. It bothered me really bad so I called the office again and this time she said I should be ok to start the prep after the appointments. I'm not sure how long the hospital appt will take but what if I dot clear out before the surgery?! The lat thing I want to do is spend my last night with my little girls before surgery in the bathroom the whole time and I can't help but be freaked out about not having enough time. I hate to all the Drs office again and ask the same questions for a third time. I have had to be very pushy to get the tests I needed (Adenomyosis diagnosis) and the surgery scheduled and am trying to be on good terms with Dr because after all she is cutting into me next week! Has anyone else had this type of bowel cleanse ( Glycol)? If so, how long did it take to clear your system? Any help will be so appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Re: Bowel prep and Pre Op SAME DAY!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, done that one twice. Definitely start it AFTER all your appts. But yes you will be in the bathroom. The real trick is, the faster you get it in, the faster you'll be done "going". But it's a lot to drink. My last instructions said it would start after an hour and last about 2 hour after I finished drinking. And that I might feel cold and bloated until it kicked in. Those were mostly right. Problem is, it takes a while to drink all that, even a full glass every 10 mIn. I will say, this time I didn't chill it, because so much ice cold liquid at once was harder on me than room temp. You will spend your evening "prepping", so just plan accoedingly. Just get home as early as possible, get started, and get done. I did one recently for a colonoscopy so it's all so fresh in my mind. It should work out, just realize you'll not be doing much else that evening.
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM

We have our surgeries scheduled for the same day! It gets so frustrating calling and recalling the doctors office, but you are right, that's what you have to do. My endo is severe, and they already knicked my bowel, just doing the laproscopy diagnosis, because its fused in this wrong place. They didn't tell me to do the whole cleanse, jut to eat a liquid diet starting 2 days before surgery, and only clear liquid the day before. I think I will call him again and see if I should be taking something else. I have had to really stay on my dr's office as you have. I would be done with this already if they hadn't "forgot" for a week to send in the pre-auth to the ins company. I hope it happens quick for you, and you can end the evening with your girls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2013, 07:34 PM

Well the two of us will be going through the same thing at the same time. My pre op was scheduled for 1:45, I called back and asked to move it up to next week, but dr still on vaca so I got it moved up to 9:00. Maybe call the hosp and ask if they have an earlier time.

I don't have to do the hospital thing, but I do have to pick up DH from work since I need the car for the pre op appt. at 5:00 that night and that is not a car ride I am looking forward to at all. I hate using public restrooms as it is, but to have to stop for that uggghhh.

I plan on eating a soft solid diet on Sunday and then nothing but liquids on Monday. Oh, btw. I don't recommend trying to drink more then a glass at a time. Last time I had to take this stuff I tried to down half the bottle because I thought it would make it go faster. Bad idea, it was horrible. I thought I was going to explode, literally. I was crying and screaming and almost called the ambulance. This will be my second time with this stuff, I've also done 2 times with the (what used to be called) Fleet stuff.

Just know that you'll have someone 4 hrs ahead of you going through the same thing. I'll let you know what time it ends for me to give you an idea of when you'll be able to breathe a sigh of relief.
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:50 PM

Thanks everyone! Great advice and I'm not feeling alone in these troubles. I think Drs see these same issues so many times a year that they forget how personal and scary these steps can be. To the women who responded with the same date surgeries, good luck and my thoughts are with you! Can't wait for us all to come through the other side of this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register