any advise on changing TVH to TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any advise on changing TVH to TAH? any advise on changing TVH to TAH?

Unread 02-25-2009, 01:01 AM
any advise on changing TVH to TAH?

I am having my hyster on 3/3/09 and I am getting things figured out, though it has been more complicated than I thought. I have my left knee immobilized and may not be able to have surgery done as TVH. But with my history of endo (stage 4), TAV/BSO seems like a better option, since my does not do surgery with laproscopic assistance. My hubby will deploy 3 1/2 weeks after my surgery and I will be caring for our daughter who will be 3 in June by myself, since most of my family and his are several states away. I have a few very dear friends that willl help me in my recovery time that I thank my lucky stars for!!! I go for my pre-op appointment on Monday morning, and leave for the Castle Tuesday morning. I focused most of my research on TVH, but beween my endo history and knee injury, I will be asking my about switching to TAH/BSO. Is there anything else I should do to prepare for my recovery time? I have already setup my space in our den, as our bedroom is on the second floor of our home. have done my shopping, cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc. and I am afraid that I have overlooked something (Anything). I hope that maybe you would have some advise on the TAH and recovery, pain control, hospital stay, etc. Thanks in advance for all your advice and support!!

Melissa
TVH/BSO or TAH/BSO 3/3/09
stage 4 endo
d&c, hysteroscopy, ablation 2002, 2003,2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2009, 06:32 AM

I think that discussing your surgery with your dr is a good idea. Together you should be able to chose what will be best for you

I had a tah/bso and was pre-approved for a 2 day hospitat stay. I can't take any narcotic based pain meds but was kept fairly comfortable. The thing to do is to ask for more meds before the pain gets out of control. Walking as soon as possible helped me to regain my strength and rid me of the post-op gas. Remember to go slow & easy.

It sounds like you have most things in order already. Have you stocked your pantry with lots of juices and easy to heat & eat food? Your favorite snacks? Things to help keep your little one happy? Games, new coloring books, her favorite treats?

Best wishes.

Unread 02-25-2009, 07:07 AM

Have you considered arranging for a mother's helper to assist you with your daughter when your husband leaves? By 12 years old most girls/boys are responsible enough to take on the role and still enjoy playing with younger kids. If you plan now your daughter will have the opportunity to get to know them or a couple of helpers. Good luck and - Thank you - to both you and your husband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM

I had a TAH/BSO and I would say that the first week is when I needed my DH to help me the most, specially getting up from bed and just being there for me. after, I had my mom or a friend stay with me until my DH came home, and after the second week, I was ok to stay home by myself. you will most likely need help with your little one, being that you shouldnt bend down nor lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk.
I had stage IV endo and my doctor said that it was better to have a abdominal surgery so that he can really get in there and try to remove as much endo as possible, but talk it over with your doctor and see what is best for you.....
Unread 02-25-2009, 01:30 PM

It's a smart idea to print the pre-op list and take it with you to your doctor appointment. I made notes in the margins and highlighted important questions. (Yes, I'm a nerd. )

I have two daughters (2, 4) and trained them leading up to the surgery to crawl up gently next to me on the couch and how to gently cuddle in the bed. I DVR'd a ton of their favorite shows. Got a bunch of those CrayolaMagic marker kits. Those were the things that worked for us when I was left alone with them. I also recommend you get new batteries for your remote controls and arrange your side table to accommodate a phone station (mobile or cordless) with a pen, paper.

I hope all goes well with your trip . You have a whole cheering section for you here at HysterSisters whichever way you and your doctor decide to go with your procedure.

Unread 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Please discuss with our Surgeon as there is major differences between the procedures as well as the recovery.
One wouldn't choose abdominal if not necesary.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register