Not Scheduled Preoperation exercises, I have 4 months | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preoperation exercises, I have 4 months Preoperation exercises, I have 4 months

Unread 04-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Preoperation exercises, I have 4 months

At this point I don't know if my Hyst will be Lapar or through bakini cut. Doc plans to do Lapar if possible. I am wondering if there are exercises I can do now to help boost my recovery later. I am having my hyst in the fall of 2010. Am currently working on getting the date set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Re: Preoperation exercises, I have 4 months

I haven't been given any suggestions, but I figured I need to work on my upper body strength to avoid straining my core. I would like to tone up my belly a bit so that the muscles can bounce back, so to speak, or have a good muscle memory.

I don't know, good luck.
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:59 PM

I had a da vinci on the 13th of april. Prior to surgery I worked on my core muscles. I did a tai bo workout every other night for my abs. Then during the day, i ran/walked to strengthen my lungs and legs. I have to say I am sooo glad I did that prior to surgery. My last lap surgery was actually more painful, in the belly area, than my hyst. Immediately after surgery i was up going to the bathroom and had minimal belly pain. My vaginal cuff was the painful part. Unfortunately you can't strenghten that ;-) I am almost two weeks post op and still the most pain I have had was from the gas and the vaginal cuff. Otherwise I am sore but have adequate core muscles to get up and around.
Hope that helps ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2010, 06:25 PM

good thoughts nieceMB. Hmm. I guess Kegals won't help the cuff, only the bladder...
Unread 04-23-2010, 06:31 PM

I had 4 months to prepare for surgery. I am overweight and out of shape and was very worried about my body's strength post-surgery. I knew I'd have to use my arms and legs a lot to compensate for my stomach muscles being out of commission.

I did water aerobics and swimming daily and it really helped. My doc said he could tell I had been exercising and that it made all the difference in the world when it came to my recovery.

If you are in good shape now, then you won't need that strict of a regimen but it sure helped me.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery!

Unread 04-23-2010, 07:59 PM

Hi SunMoonStar! From what I have read and heard from my girlfriend who is a physiotherapist, it is really imporant to improve your cardio/lung capacity as much as possible to help us recover from the anaesthetic. So even deep breathing exercises or better yet, cardiovascular exercise.

Good question to post!! Best of luck with your prep and recovery!!
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:37 AM

Great Info! Thank you all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register