Six Days! What To Do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Six Days! What To Do? Six Days! What To Do?

Unread 08-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Six Days! What To Do?

I went to see the gynecological oncologist today, and as expected, he said I needed a hysteretomy, TAH-BSO if I have the acronyms right! We were talking about dates, and I said that I'd like to have it done as soon as possible. He scheduled it for next Thursday! Initially I thought "great, less time to sit around and worry" but after I left his office, it sunk in. Six days? How will I get prepared in 6 days?

I live alone, and don't have any family or friends in the area. I've only lived here a few months, and I was laid off in June, so many of the people I knew are scattered or have moved. (I called up some of my former co-workers and asked a couple of neighbors in my apartment complex, but all I got was stammers and "uh, I'm really busy".) I'm trying to arrange some kind of home health visits if I can, and I'll have a pet sitter coming in every day, but otherwise, I'm going to be on my own, I think.

So, where to begin? What should I do? I've been reading the forums and have gotten a lot of suggestions, but I have to really get going and get it done FAST.

Thanks,
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Six Days! What To Do?

Karen~
I too live alone. Make a couple of lists, foods and supplies to buy now~~~remember extra pet food and ask to have your pain medicine prescription filled ahead of time. I spent the last 2 days before my surgery cleaning the bathrooms and the cat box. I have the cat box right next to the toilet and I can scoop their little doodies while I am sitting down. I just took a shower and the shower chair was a very wise investment! Put clean sheets on your bed and make up the couch as a second bed. Pillows, pillows, pillows! Can't have too many pillows!!! I got tons of magazines and books from the library. Taped my favorite shows, those have been really nice! Buy a case of bottled water. I use 2 a day, alternate, keep one cold. I have a small pretty notebook to write down when I take medicines. Phone by the bed. Lots of simple food, I have had no problem using the microwave. I got good quality Chinet paper plates. I have much more of an appetite than I thought I would! I need to lay down again, just ate and the oxycodin makes me dizzy. Oh yah, very important, check with your doctor first, and stop taking aspirin, iboprofin and aleve. Do everything you can to keep a positive outlook, just cuz we'e alone doesn't mean it can't be done!
Unread 08-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Six Days! What To Do?

Karen,
Is there a church you attend? I know alot of the women have had ladies from the church come by and help them out. They can fix small meals that you can heat in the micro and even do some quick shopping trips if need be. You could also make up your own meals ahead of time and freeze them. Hope this helps some.
Take care and keep us posted to how you are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Six Days! What To Do?

Preparation is important. See if the Social Work department can get you some home care for housework and shopping once a week for the next 6 weeks.
Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register