Scheduled TAH fibromyalgia and exacerbated pain after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fibromyalgia and exacerbated pain after surgery? fibromyalgia and exacerbated pain after surgery?

Unread 08-06-2012, 02:33 AM
fibromyalgia and exacerbated pain after surgery?

I've been reading a lot about there being more pain present after surgery when you have fibromyalgia, does anyone have any experience with this? I was told to explain this to my Dr so they won't be surprised IF you need to request more pain medication. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Re: fibromyalgia and exacerbated pain after surgery?

My pain was worse but not because of the surgery itself. It was because of the fact I couldn't move around like I needed to. For several days I was pretty much stuck on my back and because of that I had some pretty bad back, neck, and bottom pain. It got better when I could get up and move around and even better still when I could lay on my side again. The pain from the surgery itself was pretty minimal compared to the muscle pain. My doctor was very good about the pain meds but l didn't need more than Tylenol or Advil especially after the first day or two.

My advice to you is to move around as much as you can as soon as you can. Even just changing positions a little while you are stuck in bed will help! Best of luck to you!
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:29 AM

My good friend has fibromyalgia. From what I understand, one of the major symptoms is an abnormal pain response. In fact, she has so many related issues, she is always on some level of pain meds. So yes, your pain levels may be heightened. I would definitely discuss that with your doctor before the surgery. Is he/she not already aware of your condition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2012, 09:59 AM

I forgot to add that while I was in the hospital I really wanted a heating pad for my back and they would not give me one without a doctor's orders. If you think you may need or want one, discuss it with your doctor ahead of time so the orders can already be in place. I never did get my heating pad and it really would have helped!
Unread 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Thank you ladies so much, you really have been so helpful!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register