TLH Crying all the time, thrush, constipation, insomnia, catheter for a week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Crying all the time, thrush, constipation, insomnia, catheter for a week Crying all the time, thrush, constipation, insomnia, catheter for a week

Unread 10-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Crying all the time, thrush, constipation, insomnia, catheter for a week

Hi everyone,

I'm 7 days post-op (TLH and TVT) and have had a pretty rough time. Bad reaction to the anaesthetic and pain-killers whilst in hospital, then sent home with a catheter for a week after an AWOL agency nurse pulled my catheter out too soon, didn't check first with doctors, and didn't release the water from the bulb before doing so. I think the after op stuff I'm experiencing is all pretty normal, but I wanted to post anyway - really just to share.

Crying all the time: massive, massive crying. I kept my ovaries and have only been on Voltaren and Panadol (but was on Morphine, Oxycontin and Endone in the hospital) since I got home but I'm crying at the drop of a hat.

Thrush: worst thrush I've ever had.

Constipation: I'm drinking 2 litres of fluid, including cranberry juice for my bladder, eating dried pears and prunes, have a very high fibre diet, am getting up and walking around the house every 30-60 minutes. Stool softeners don't work until I take them two nights in a row, and then they work too well! As soon as I've gone as a result of the softeners, I'm constipated again.

Insomnia: I'm waking every morning at around 3.15am, giving myself a stern talking to, doing relaxation and deep breathing until about 4.30am, then giving up and sitting on the couch with a cup of tea.

Any experience strength and hope would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your support,
riot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Re: Crying all the time, thrush, constipation, insomnia, catheter for a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm 7 days post-op (TLH and TVT) and have had a pretty rough time. Bad reaction to the anaesthetic and pain-killers whilst in hospital, then sent home with a catheter for a week after an AWOL agency nurse pulled my catheter out too soon, didn't check first with doctors, and didn't release the water from the bulb before doing so. I think the after op stuff I'm experiencing is all pretty normal, but I wanted to post anyway - really just to share.

Crying all the time: massive, massive crying. I kept my ovaries and have only been on Voltaren and Panadol (but was on Morphine, Oxycontin and Endone in the hospital) since I got home but I'm crying at the drop of a hat.

Thrush: worst thrush I've ever had.

Constipation: I'm drinking 2 litres of fluid, including cranberry juice for my bladder, eating dried pears and prunes, have a very high fibre diet, am getting up and walking around the house every 30-60 minutes. Stool softeners don't work until I take them two nights in a row, and then they work too well! As soon as I've gone as a result of the softeners, I'm constipated again.

Insomnia: I'm waking every morning at around 3.15am, giving myself a stern talking to, doing relaxation and deep breathing until about 4.30am, then giving up and sitting on the couch with a cup of tea.

Any experience strength and hope would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your support,
riot
Aww sorry you are having such a horrible time. I'm now 6 weeks post op but had all those symptoms early on. It's pretty hard to bear isn't it? It does get much easier. Speak to your doc about all symptoms and just make sure you are taking the right stuff. Painkillers are very constipating some more than others so ask about a better cocktail.
Insomnia can last for a few weeks but as long as you can nap during the day... You are still early days and your body needs to rest. Hugs to you
Unread 10-14-2012, 04:33 PM

Post op really sucked for me. I can really relate to the crying. I wept for literally hours at a time. I cried for my poor uterus that was pulled out of my vagina, for my body having to go through that trauma, for my lost fertility and periods, and for how lousy I felt. It's a very emotional time.

I'm sure my ovaries shut down for a while post op as well so my hormones were wonky.

You are not alone. And I promise it does get better. Hang in there sweetie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2012, 09:06 PM

For thrush, one of our HysterSisters recommended Gentian Violet to me. I got it at Walmart in the vitamin area. It was only about $3; it comes in a little bottle with BRIGHT purple liquid inside. You paint your tongue purple a few times per day for several days. It worked for me. Be careful when you open the bottle. It stains anything it touches. I am about 4 months post op and can tell you that everything does improve, but it takes time. My husband taught me that rest=healing. He is right too:-).
Unread 10-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Crying all the time, thrush, constipation, insomnia, catheter for a week

We gave the same symptoms, except I had a total. I'm sorry we r going through this and I hope u get better soon
Unread 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Oh riot, so sorry this is happening.
Hope you feel better ASAP!
Keep taking the stool softeners!
Unread 10-14-2012, 09:13 PM

I kept my ovaried but cried at the drop of a hat. Keep taking pain meds as needed...and sleep it off when you can. I was up alot untill i gave in and took max prescribed dose of pain meds. But later found out i was really really sick. Colace for a bm x2 worked well for me by day 3
Unread 10-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Thank you so much for all of your replies.

Catheter comes out on Thursday and I'm holding on to that–somehow in my head once it's out everything will be ok again. Hmmm...
Unread 10-20-2012, 08:11 AM

I had a foley for 11 days post op due to a bladder puncture and it took until it was out for my bowels to even begin to function normally. The constant feeling of pressure and needing to pee made me not want to eat at all. I am so sorry you are having a tough time. I was also very emotional until it was removed b/c it was just one more thing to add to the pile. Hoping that Thursday goes well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register