Relief for Siatic nerve?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Relief for Siatic nerve?? Relief for Siatic nerve??

Unread 12-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Relief for Siatic nerve??

After two weeks bedrest and only finding comfort laying on my back I am having major issues with both of my Siatic (sp?) nerves. What have you ladies done to help eleviate this issue if you experienced it? I am now finding major issues / pain down my legs (mid outer thigh) when I try and lay on my side or even roll on my side to get out of bed...

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2006, 08:37 AM

Have you tried a body pillow?? I love mine, even now. Or even tucking several pillows under you and rolling slightly on your back?
Good luck, I hope you get to feeling better soon!
Unread 12-16-2006, 10:12 AM

I didn't have this problem during recovery but have suffered through the years now and again. My best way to find relief is an ice pack, or frozen bag of peas on the hip/buttock area, and also while laying on my back, I would flex my legs pushing my heel away from my body if that makes any sense. I kind of discovered this by accident, but it has brought me relief.
Hope you find relief too! Happy healing,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2006, 02:09 PM

Oh can I relate. I woke up from surgery and after the bladder pain, second was the sciatic pain in my right leg. Not only does that hurt, but I get a twinge and have numbness down my inner thigh to my knee. The doctor said it could be some nerve damage or just positional from surgery. Anyway, the only thing I do that seems to help the sciatica is to cross the sor leg over the other one with the knee bent (the sore leg bent..the other leg straight out). Then, push the knee toward the other leg so you get a good stretch on the outside of your leg/buttocks area. I also have DH massage my tailbone area since I believe that's around where the sciatic nerve starts. Ice and Advil and in a bad case, flexerol with ice is a wonderful combination (just be prepared to sleeeeeeep). (((hugs)))
tricia
Unread 12-16-2006, 06:26 PM

THANK YOU WONDERFUL PRINCESSES!! I will try the recommendations (especially the s.o. massage) :-)
Unread 12-16-2006, 09:52 PM

I AM SO GLAD I SAW THIS POST! I had my TVH in May BUT for the last few weeks I've had a shooting feeling in my hip. To the point that one night while driving home from work when I had the feeling, I put my hand to my hip to make sure I had not really been shot! I just knew I'd come back with a handful of blood. Last week, it was horrible. I could not sit for long periods of time at my desk at work. I took a heating pad for a couple of days and sat with it on my hip. I describe the pain like when you have to get a steriod shot for a sinus infection or something. It feels like that when the medicine flows in from the shot. I haven't done anything to overexert that I know of. With these posts, it almost sounds like a normal part of the recovery....almost. I feel much better when I get up and walk than when I do sitting at rest. Any other suggestions to make this go away permanently?!?

Also it's in my hip, not my back which is where I thought the sciatic nerve was located.
Unread 12-17-2006, 08:23 AM

glowy1,
I have found the best way to avoid flare ups is watch how I'm sitting, making sure I'm positioned right to the back of the seat against the back. It never fails when I sit crooked or on the edge of a chair, I can look for problems. Regular exercise especially the stretches sure helps too. I also get mine in the hip area.
Hope this will help you!
Debbie
Unread 12-17-2006, 12:55 PM

I had problems before surgery, but mine is better since. I have not had any problems, strange? My right ovary was so enlarge I believe that is what was causing the pain. good luck to you all.
Teresa
tah/bso

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register