new to the board... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new to the board... new to the board...

Unread 06-18-2004, 09:54 PM
new to the board...

Hi I'm new to the board.

I just found out I have an enlarged uterus just last week. I went for a transvaginal and they noticed I have a uterus the size of 9.5 cm, then on the 15th of June I went for another transvaginal and it grew to 11.7 cm.

I'm very uncomfortable bloating, urinating all the time, during my cycle I've been bleeding very heavily with large clots. I also have anemia. My lower back hurts and by the end of the day I feel a lot of pressure and sharp pains.
They also found a fibroid in my uterus. Does anyone know what a heterogeneous echo texture mean?

I'm so glad that I'm not alone. I'm confused Please respond.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 10:00 PM
new to the board...

Welcome my new sister!! I am glad you found this site and I am sure you will find it most helpful too.I don't know what a heterogenous echo texture is but I too have a large fibroid in my uterus that causes me extreme lower back pain. Are you taking iron pills for the anemia? I know this might seem like a "duh" question but I was anemic for years and just started taking them when the doctor prescribed them. Go figure! I have tons of pressure and urinate all the time- including the nightime. I pray that you will find the relief you deserve- Iwill be glad for July 7th to be here. Lots of hugs to you
Unread 06-18-2004, 10:28 PM
new to the board...

Hi,

I didn't have really bad symptoms, but now 5 days post op I realise that they were still a problem.

I now no longer feel that full, heavy feeling, I don't need to go for a pee every half hour, not to mention the thought of no more Aunt Flo! Ever! Had a visit from her almost all of last month, so good riddance. Even after the anaesthetic, I don't feel any more tired than before, so after that wears off I should be superwoman.

Don't be scared of the surgery, it is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, the worst pain was only as bad as a moderate period pain, and that didn't last long. It hurts to cough though!

Good luck!

xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 11:22 PM
new to the board...

hi imaria,

welcome to the board! I don't know what heterogeneous echo texture means either but it was on my report as well. I did find out that the wierd names of the fibroids they mentioned ment (I think) and it's just the location of where they were.
The report also said I have many fibroids, the way the doctor explained it was that I have a bunch of marble size fibroids so I guess after my sugery I can say I've offically lost my marbles hehe

anyway I hope you find the answer you're looking for and once again welcome to the site

HUGS!
Unread 06-19-2004, 04:42 AM
new to the board...

I did not have fibroids but the size of the uterus and symptoms are almost exactly what I was having. I was diagnosed with adenomyosis. Adenomyosis is a pathological term which basically means they can not give a true diagnosis of it until they take the uterus out and disect it, but my doctor told me that an enlarged mushy uterus like mine was the indicator. As far as heterogenous echo texture, I have not heard of that term before.

's and good luck to you.
Unread 06-19-2004, 06:07 AM
new to the board...

Thank you for your replies.

The first doctor I went to diagnosed me with adenomyosis, but after he sent me for the transvaginal he erased that suspicion of that diagnosis. He put me on iron pills, ovcon-35 those are birth control pills for the heavy bleeding and Naproxen it’s a disinflamitory.

I was glad to hear txladybug68 explanation of what adenomyosis is. So how can that doctor I saw dismiss me from that diagnosis? I also have a chronic case of endomitriosis. They also found a cyst in my right ovary. I'm going for a second opinion in two weeks.
Unread 06-19-2004, 07:48 AM
the echo

I don't know for sure what that echo term means. But I asked my doc how he can tell I have fibroids and not cysts. He said because of the ultrasound image comes back as solid-(homogenous means same but what does hetero mean?) rather than clear in the middle like a cyst would be.
So using my ancient latin it could mean that the echo came back as all being the same texture, thus fibroid rather than cyst.

Although I could be full of ----, just an educated guess. I would ask them what it means-they are supposed to know right?
Unread 06-19-2004, 07:52 AM
new to the board...

Hi Imaria, welcome to Hystersisters!

I checked out heterogeneous echo texture in MedLine, which is an online medical dictionary. It didn't find the entire term, but what it did tell me is this:
  • heterogeneous means that it's not the same in all places
  • echo is just what you would think -- the pattern of the sound from the ultrasound
So, essentially what I think they're trying to say is that your fibroid may have parts of different densities, etc... that return a varying sound pattern, which may mean you've had places where the parts of it started to die off and other parts grew, I think. I'm not a doc so I can't say for sure, but that's my interpretation of it.

I too have a fibroid that causes a lot of the same problems, lower back pain, urinary frequency, bloating.
Unread 06-19-2004, 08:00 AM
good research

Hey, you did great-actually looked it up rather than guessing. Thanks, i think your answer sounds right on.
Now back to cleaning the house.-or should i say back to planning to start to clean the house!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register