Pre-op restrictions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op restrictions Pre-op restrictions

Unread 01-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Pre-op restrictions

Hey out there,

I have been reading and picked up bits and pieces of what to expect in the way of getting ready for surgery, but would like to know what restrictions there may be in the days before. I am having an abdominal hysterectomy. My Dr is taking everything. I have cysts on my ovaries and numerous large fibriods. I also recently found out from the sonogram I have gallstones, so another surgeon will come in and take that out. I had a biopsy on Friday and have had intermittent (sp?) bleeding since. My pre-op visits are not until 2-1 and 2-3, one with the surgeon and the last with my gyn and then the hospital afterwards. I guess I am trying to get everything together in my head as to what I can do, visiting around, church etc, and what I will have to do to get ready, special diet, etc. I do plan on discussing this with my Dr, but would like to hear the norm out there.

It seems everytime I go in for a Dr's visit, I cramp and hurt when I get home. Is that normal? My husband asked me if I was over reacting to every "little" pain now? I just stared at him and ignored him after that! For the most part he has been great, but as most men are he is clueless!

Thanks to everyone. I covet your prayers and you are in mine. For now just waiting on Ash Wednesday to come. My surgery is scheduled for that day. At church today, some ladies were joking with me about the choice of days. My husband is a minister. I just told them I knew what I was giving up for Lent this year. Until next time.

Marie
(Just hanging in there!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Pre-op restrictions

I am not sure what is normal for an abdominal hyst. I am scheduled for a SLH April 14. Because of other health issues, I have no restrictions the day before. I get out of doing the bowel prep, shaving and my cath will be taken out before I leave the OR. I know how hard it is to prepare. I have almost had to pull teeth to get any info from the doc. DO Not give up until you have all the answers you want. That is very important. Best of luck.
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Pre-op restrictions

There is no set prep. Each doctor has his/her own orders. I'm having a TAH BSO and the only things I was told was no eating or drinking after midnight; no aspirin or advil the week before. On my own, I've increased fiber and tried to eat light. I was told I wouldn't have any suppositories, enemas or laxatives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Pre-op restrictions

Don't make any diet changes til you see the drs.
You're meeting with them a week before, and that is plenty early enough.
Generally any bowel prep takes place in the 24 hours before surgery. You may or may not have to do it, it depends on exactly what is going on in your situation.

sometimes the hospital wants you to do it when you are there, on their premises.

In our Pre Op Articles, home page left hand side, you will find a list of questions to ask at your pre.op appointments. I suggest you print them out, add any others you might have, and when you go to the appointment, write down the answers - it is all too easy to forget what you've been told when you are under stress.

best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register