LSH recovery? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH recovery? LSH recovery?

Unread 05-03-2006, 09:04 AM
LSH recovery?

Hello,
I just love Hyster Sisters! I found ya all last night and appreciate so much the information shared by you all.

I direct an afterschool program on a school campus and have been doing so for 17 years. After being diagnosed with pcos 6 years ago and being told giving birth is out of the question I am ever more greatful that I spend my week with the best people on the planet and get a paycheck too!

Surgery is scheduled for May 18th.
I emailed my dr with some questions about LAVH after reading so much about it and most especially the recovery to find out that he has since decided to perform a LSH. While I am very happy to hear the recovery may be shorter and easier I am concerned about the length of time off work. My dr is insisting on a two week recovery and return to work. With the physical demands of my job, summer approaching (even more physical demands at work) and a job description that requires ability to lift 25 lbs, move furniture, climb a ladder etc. I am wondering how realistic that is.

I would love to hear your thoughts and advice on LSH recovery.

Thanks again for being such a support and wonderful resource for those of us pre-surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2006, 09:24 AM
LSH recovery?

Just make sure your Dr. is aware of how much you lift........My Dr. said a 2 week recovery should be sufficiant for me too,till I told him I`m on my feet constantly and lift well over a hundred pounds in any given shift.......he then said "okay 4-5 weeks in that case!!"..........so just be VERY specific with your job demands when talking to your Dr.........2 weeks is fine ,if your going back to a desk-job......a little bit longer if you do any heavy lifting is better!!! `s Renee
Unread 05-03-2006, 11:03 AM
LSH recovery?

Hi Missr,

I got a greenlight from my Dr. to go back to work at 2 weeks also. I worked in the wedding business at the time and even at 2 weeks, I had to take it slower and delegate a lot.

I agree with Ms. Kitty. Before you go back to work, make a list and outline what you can-and-cannot do. Especially lifting. In my case, I had a weight restriction until my 6 week mark.

A LSH is a less invasive hyst and it is still ~major~ surgery. We Hyster Sisters only have one time to get it right in post-op and that means taking it easy and staying no if something sounds like too much. That includes work also. After the 6 week mark, we have the rest of our lives to do our normal activities.

Best wishes. I am still very glad I was a candidate for my LSH. One of the best things I ever did for my long term health.

Mary

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register