Vaginal Pack | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Vaginal Pack

Hi all can any of you lovely ladies tell me what a vaginal pack is.....this maybe a silly question (too be honest with you not sleeping well,a little nervous about my op) i have heard ladies on here who have had it after a TVH, just wondering and pondering about my upcoming surgery, im FREAKING!!!! Thanks Tracey x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2006, 09:18 AM
I was awake when they packed me !!

Don't worry about it. I had TVH,A&P repairs .I was not packed after my surgery,Dr did not need to. In recovery I started to hemerrage. I always did after childbirth . I was feeling that gushing told the RN ,paged my Dr. He calmed everyone,and did a pack in recovery..I must say it was all very dramatic. They use alot of gauze. Pack it inside the vagina,this in usally done while your asleep. The Dr. removed the packing the next morning I did not feel a thing. Just like a long,long bright red scarf pulling out... I was still on bedrest I did not bleed much after .. It was not a big deal ..And it stopped the bleeding by applying pressure.
Unread 05-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Vaginal Pack

Yes I agree with the above.... I woke up with it. It is not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it supports the stitches and helps stem the bleeding. It was a gauze bandage.
The nurse took it out after 24 hours, again no pain or big deal.
Take care, xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Vaginal Pack

Same for me as Scriv...except I actually didnt know it was in there! Maybe my pain meds kept me numb from feeling it. Any way no big deal at all to have them take out the gauze. Well wishes. Ihave a bleeding disorder and told they really packed me "good" to avoid bleeding.
Unread 05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Vaginal Pack

Same here. I also had the vaginal packing after my TVH last year. I remeber the following morning after surgery a nurse coming in and telling me she was going to remove the catheter and my packing.... I was scared to death! It really was no big deal. It was more uncomfortable watching the two nurses remove it than anything. The big red scarf? Yes, I agree, but I was reminded of a magic trick when I watched mine being removed... the magician pulling the never ending scarf out of the hat! It was really was no big deal at all. I did not feel mine at all while it was in there, but was happy to get it out. Take care.
Tami
Unread 05-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Vaginal Pack

I woke up with the packing too. I really didn't feel it while it was in, and it was not so bad when the nurse took it out the next morning. No need to worry too much about it. Best of luck to you.
Unread 05-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Vaginal Pack

I had my TVH Monday (May 1st) and I didn't have packing. The Dr. said that I bled less than a teaspoon during surgery and there was no need for packing. Did have a cath in until the next morning though.
Unread 05-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Vaginal Pack

I also had packing after my TVH and didnt realize it. I was a little tense in anticipation of pain when my doc went to remove it but it was nothing more than a weird feeling. No pain. The catheter didn't hurt when it was removed either.
Unread 05-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Vaginal Pack

I also woke up with the packing after my TVH but was prepared for it by my sister who had it a few years before. It's probably like a big tampon but like TAMISINFL said, when they take it out it is like a magician pulling scarfs out his sleeves, it just keeps going and going. A little uncomfortable but I actually felt better when it was out. Really no big deal. Hope you do well during surgery!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register