would like opinions on the Laparoscopy type of Historectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

would like opinions on the Laparoscopy type of Historectomy would like opinions on the Laparoscopy type of Historectomy

Unread 10-30-2002, 07:58 PM
would like opinions on the Laparoscopy type of Historectomy

Was wondering if anyone can tell me their experience on having their historectomy done by Laparoscopy? I have a lot of qt.s as to how I should be put under for this, don't know if it is as painfull as the abdominal way, Im guessing not, but I do not do good with pain and hate the whole tube in the throat idea also. The spinal I heard hurts going in and you itch really bad when the numbness starts to wear off. Any views on this whole issue would be greatly appreciated. Surgery set for Nov. 11th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2002, 09:54 PM
LAVH

Maybe I can help. I had LAVH/BSO on 9/12. I've never had abdominal surgery, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I've been very pleased with the surgery and results. I had 3 small incisions. Even though the incision itself is different than with TAH, there's still just as much going on inside, no matter how they get in there. I had general anesthesia, so I had the sore throat and no voice for a few hours after, but that wasn't any big deal. I felt bruised and achy afterwards, in the abdominal area, but that's to be expected. I went back to work at 5 1/2 weeks post op. Probably could've done part time a week or so sooner, but have good benefits at work, and felt it was better for me to rest as long as I could. I had very good pain meds post op; Toradol and Percocet at the hospital, Percocet and ibuprofen at home. You should talk to your doctor ahead of time about his/her philosophy on pain management. Some doctors don't give you 'the good stuff' for long after the surgery. I took my meds faithfully for the week I had them, even when I didn't think I really needed them, because I felt like it helped me to heal better. If there's any specific questions you have that I can help with, let me know.

Good luck!
Unread 10-30-2002, 10:37 PM

Hi!

I had my LAVH in February. I had several other surgeries prior to my hyst: 2 C-sections (both vertical incisions), D&C, endometrial ablation, and an abdominal tumor removed. Any hysterectomy is a major surgery but with the lap the external incisions are smaller. I had 4 small incisions - more like tiny punctures. I had general anesthesia and had no complications form it. I had a spinal with my second C-section and had no complications with that either. I had IV pain meds for the first few hours and then switched to injections and finally pain pills by the next morning. I spent 1 night in the hospital. The initial recovery period is 6 - 8 weeks but it can take many months for all the internal healing to be complete. Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions. Take care!

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2002, 08:40 AM

I had LAVH 22 days ago. I have 4 incisions I can see, plus whatever they did internally. The first incision is in my belly button and so tiny I can't even tell how big it was. Picture that incision being "home plate," if you will, and you're looking out over the "diamond" from behind home plate. The incisions at first and third bases are about 3/8 of an inch long (I just got out a ruler and measured). The incision at second base is the biggest, about 3/4 to 7/8 of an inch. I can only imagine that the less cutting they have to do anywhere, the less the pain might be. My incisions never really hurt much at all; the main thing has been sort of a generalized internal ache. I had no external stitches either; they used that glue stuff with tape over it.

This was my first experience with general anesthesia. Nobody ever mentioned any other options, but if they had, I think I would have chosen general because being anything other than totally unconscious would have been scary to me. They told me about the throat tube in pre-op and said I would not remember it. They were right. I don't. The throat irritation afterwards was minimal, less than what I have when I'm starting to come down with a cold.

All I remember is the pre-op nurse starting the IV (after first numbing the skin with a little xylocaine poke), and her telling me she would soon give me my "cocktail" (the I-don't-care-about-anything shot). I can't honestly say I remember getting the cocktail. I vaguely remember being wheeled into the elevator for the trip to the OR, and I remember seeing the big lights overhead and saying hi to my surgeon, but nothing else. That I-don't-care stuff works really well because I had NO worries or fear whatsoever. I'm not even sure I knew at that point I was about to be sliced and diced; if I did, it didn't bother me at all. Next thing I knew, I was asking the nurse in recovery if I still had my ovaries.

I had a morphine drip plus the dose-myself button. My surgery was at 8 a.m. At about 7 p.m. I got very nauseated and started throwing up. (I had nothing to eat all day except ice chips.) They were pretty sure it was the morphine, so they stopped the drip but left me the clicker. By the middle of the night I was in excruciating pain -- NOT from the surgery; it was muscle pain from the muscles used to throw up! I know this because the surgery pain was supposed to be south of the belly button. My pain was right up under my ribcage. In the surgery area, the pain was really nothing more than sort of a vague ache. I've had worse menstrual cramps than that. About 3 a.m. I hit the clicker to see what would happen. The pain didn't go away but about half an hour later I thought I was going to throw up. So much for that idea. In the morning they started me on IV Toradol, a powerful anti-inflammatory. About mid morning I ate one soda cracker and it stayed down, so they started me on oral Darvocet. (Codeine and its derivatives make me weird.) By the middle of the day the pain was diminishing quickly. I had a liquid lunch (broth, jello, etc.) and at dinner I had regular food. They got me out of bed after dinner and took me to the bathroom and the shower. By that time they had unhooked me from everything. They left the IV site in because they were going to use it for the Toradol shots, but they stopped everything else.

So, I was very lucky when it came to surgery pain. I never even took any of the meds they sent me home with. I've had a few Advil now and then, and that's all. The muscle pain was a fluke. If you think meds might make you sick, start doing sit-ups and ab crunches now to prepare. I wish I had.

Of course everyone's experience is going to be different. Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you might have. We'll all be happy to "talk" your ear off, I'm sure.
Unread 10-31-2002, 09:32 AM

i used to have a viral menegitis problem and had 16 spinal taps, my second c section was a spinal and that stuff just gives me the creaps, not the comming out of it part the needle in the back part, comming out of it i felt like i had elephant legs, the 3 general anthesia's i only had a sore throat once and it wasn't bad, was better by the time i got to eat solid food.
Unread 10-31-2002, 10:05 AM

I know what you mean about the worry over these things. I can provide a few answers.

Be sure your surgeon is adept, and experienced at this type of surgery. It is very important, as it takes greater skill to do it this way. There is less blood loss with this method of surgery and you only have the little incisions to deal with. All the other healing is the same. So, you will get around easier at first, but the initial healing time is the same 6-8 weeks.

General anesthesia is the only way they do this surgery. The anesthesiologist explained to me that I would find it impossible to breath on my own after they inflated my tummy with enough C02 to safely insert the instruments. That is the reason they use a throat tube.

The throat tube worried me, too, but I just had a dry throat and was hoarse for one day. It was not that bad. Never knew it was in or a out.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register