Bowel Prep - how long does it take? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Prep - how long does it take? Bowel Prep - how long does it take?

Unread 06-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Bowel Prep - how long does it take?

Greetings ladies,

Does anybody know how long I should plan on for the whole bowel prep thing? I've been told I won't have a restricted diet the day before my surgery, so I'd like to have dinner out with some friends. How long before I want to go to bed should I plan to start bowel prep? I know everybody's different, so any input you can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 07:13 AM

I've been told by my doctor to start the bowel prep at about 5pm, if I want to get any sleep. I have to repeat it 2 hours after the first time, so if I were to start it at 7 pm or later there wouldn't be much sleep. She also said that it would take a total of 4 to 5 hours to completely finish. I am not being allowed any food the day before, however, so it might take less time.
Unread 06-18-2004, 09:20 AM

I've only done a bowel prep once, back in 1993, prior to a lap. I had a complete liquid diet for two days, and then on the day before my surgery I had to drink one bottle of mag citrate at 7:00 a.m. I was in the bathroom for the full 24 hours before my surgery with no sleep at all. I was amazed that after two days of a liquid diet there would be anything in me, but I honestly never stopped going right up until my surgery. I had no sleep at all.

I'm not saying this to scare you, because everyone is different and I think my experience might have been extreme. But I certainly wouldn't plan on going out or having a big dinner following a bowel prep. The whole point of the bowel prep is to make sure your bowels are clean prior to surgery. If you go through all that and then eat a big dinner, your bowels will certainly not be empty the next morning when you go into surgery.

I am grateful beyond words that my surgeon is not making me go through a bowel prep for my hysterectomy! While I certainly understand the need for them in many cases, I'm glad I can avoid it this time around!

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 09:30 AM

There are several kinds of bowel preps. Mine required a liquid diet the day before. At noon I drank 1/2 bottle of phospho soda and had to drink 2 qts of liquid within 2 hours. Then at 6 pm drank the other half bottle and 1 qt of water. Basically an all day deal and I took the day off work.

It wasn't cramping or anything bad but it tasted salty and made me a little sick in the tummy for about 5 minutes.

Kept me up all night too but I don't think I would have slept anyway. Not violent diarhea either just had to keep going every hour or so.

Is your bowel prep an enema? Or something to drink? Either way I think eating light is a good idea for the couple days before surgery.

Also good idea to invest in tucks or another kind of premoisted towlet for wiping. I did and was only a little sore toward the end of the whole deal.

good luck to you

woodsie
Unread 06-18-2004, 10:59 PM

My Dr. didn't restrict my eating the day before either- just nothing after midnight- so I took my oldest daughter out to dinner. I had chicken gumbo soup, grilled chicken and a loaded baked potato. Delicious! THEN, I had to drink a 10 oz. bottle of magnesium citrate. It took about 2 hours to start working, so I was in the bathroom for 1/2 the night! Nothing bad, it just kept coming!!! And, I doubt if I would have slept much anyway. I don't regret that meal out for a second! I feel sorry for the sisters whose Drs. have them on liquid diets- they're all so different, aren't they?

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register