Newbie--1st Post--lavh On 6/25/04 With Questions About Surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie--1st Post--lavh On 6/25/04 With Questions About Surgery Newbie--1st Post--lavh On 6/25/04 With Questions About Surgery

Unread 06-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Newbie--1st Post--lavh On 6/25/04 With Questions About Surgery

Hi!! I just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing all of your insights, stories, and experiences. I've really gotten a lot of helpful information from this site. I hope to be able to contribute my experience on the message board in the near future.

However, I am now exactly one week away from my surgery date and I'm starting to get nervous. I am having a LAVH. I am also having my cervix removed.

I'm questioning my recovery time.....how long is it???

How much pain will I be feeling, since it's laproscopic???

How much help will I need at home (I have 2 young children)???

Will I need someone to stay at home with me after one week???

My husband thinks I will be up and ready to GO OUT TO DINNER before the end of the FIRST week...I think that he's CRAZY....what do you think???

Any information about your personal experience with LAVH (taking or not taking the cervix) would be very much appreciated. I just haven't come across the information on this particular surgery like the TAH and the others.

Thank you,

Gretchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2004, 04:09 AM

Hi,

I had TAH/BSO on Monday and reckon I could cope with being taken out to dinner now! As long as it was not for too long, and I didn't have to wear a clingy frock! If only someone would offer......

xxx
Unread 06-19-2004, 04:21 AM

Hi CheapTrickChick,

Everyone's recovery is different and whether to keep cervix or not is a personal choice, but I wanted to share mine.

I kept my cervix but removed everything else. I based my decisions on lots of research and all the wonderful advice on this site. My hormone levels were way wacked out and had terrible hormonal migraines which is why I removed ovaries. I kept the cervix though because I heard recovery time was easier and quicker. I did have doctor ablate it, as to minimize or not have any mini periods. My incision was vertical because I had so many adhesions and uterus was so large dr wanted to make sure he was able to get everything. Also I may be wrong, but I don't think you can keep cervix if you have a vaginal, check with your doctor.

Like I said everyone recovers differently, but I believe mine has gone very well. I had surgery on an Tuesday came home on Friday. I had no spotting or drainage at all vaginally. I did have slight drainage at incision site. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and came home on Friday and by the following Tuesday had cut my pain meds down to once in the evening. I was definately ready to get out and about after a week. I took everything very easy though. I did the minimal bending, no lifting other than the gallon of milk or water, minimal sitting and walked every chance I could.

My advice to you is let your body tell you what you can do and can't do. I used my pain level, once off meds, as a guide for not overdoing it. Keep in mind that there are alot of internal stitches and my dr told me lifting and bending are your greatest enemies the first couple of weeks.

's and good luck to you.

P.S. Pardon grammer and spelling as I do have brain fog
Just not quite sure where it is most of the time.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register