nerves | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-19-2004, 06:09 AM
nerves

I'm having tah on june 22 and don't seem to be nervous or scared at all. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong wtih me. About the only thing I am nervous about is that they will screw up and give me codeine which absolutely kills me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2004, 06:35 AM
nerves

I don't think there's anything wrong with you at all. We all react differently. I'm not nervous about the surgery itself, I just hate the waiting and am anxious to feel better.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 06-19-2004, 07:04 AM
nerves

Hi Rosie,
I am new here also and also scheduled to have surgery on the 22nd. I wish I wasn't nervous!!
I have an enlarged uterus with fibroids and an ovarian cyst. My doctor has been offering to do tah for several years now but I haven't taken him up on it because they haven't been bothering me. My periods are not heavy or painful, they usually only last 3-4 days.
At my last checkup the cyst on my ovary had grown considerably
(from 5 to 8 cm) so he said he needed to do a video laparoscopy and try to remove the cyst. While he has me out and depending on what he finds he may do a tah.
I hate the thought of any surgical procedure at all, much less one that will require 4-6 weeks recovery!!
I can't afford to miss that much work and they don't have anyone to replace me while I'm off. There are also so many things that I want to do this summer! I've been training a few of my dogs in obedience and herding, and I've got a new horse that I adopted from rescue that I've been working with.
There are also so many home repairs that I need to get done this year!
I have read alot of the posts here and there are so many of you that have been living with terrible pain and are ready to get this over with. It is so hard to do this when nothing is bothering me!! I'm so scared of hospitals and surgeries and getting put to sleep.
Oh well, enough of my rambling, but I envy you not being nervous!!

dsm63
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2004, 07:05 AM
nerves

OOPS!, Sorry Roxie that I got your name wrong.
Unread 06-19-2004, 07:08 AM
nerves

((( roxie )))

I think that it's great that you're calm about your upcoming surgery. I alternated between terrified and just plain old scared to death

I'm allergic to codeine too. Make sure that you let the dr and medical staff know that you can't take it. They will add that info to your records and you should not receive any.

Best wishes.

s
Unread 06-19-2004, 07:19 AM
nerves

Thanks so much for your replies. I actually thought I would write on my arms with black ink "NO CODEINE" haha. Any way I am very fortunate in that my oldest daughter has commanded that I stay with her and her little family until I can get around. I am blessed too with this website as there is no one around here that seems to want to discuss these things with me.
Unread 06-19-2004, 07:29 AM
june 22

I too have surgery on June 22, and I am not nervous now, but I was nervous before I committed myself to this decision.

I suggest having someone there with you, and everytime someone is giving you something, ask them what it is. Remind them over and over you are allergic to codiene.

I have had nurses calling me all week from both docs offices and the hospital asking me about meds, allergies, health, diet, what my concerns are about being in the hospital, what my expectations are (I told them I don't want any mean nurses!_mature huh?). What my religious convictions are, if there are foods I can't eat because of religious or health reasons, etc. I am feeling very watched over, and they ask the same questions over and over to make sure they get it right.

But I still want to know what they are putting into me. They will put a sign on you somewhere about your allergy to codiene-on your wrist band, on your chart, on your IV I think. If not, ask them to because you are worried about it.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register