Should someone stay with me in the Hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should someone stay with me in the Hospital? Should someone stay with me in the Hospital?

Unread 06-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Should someone stay with me in the Hospital?

Hi - Several people have told me I should have someone stay with me overnight in the hospital. I'll have a private room and the nurse at my pre op even said they would bring in a cot or something similar for someone.

My question is, is this necessary? A girlfriend has offered to stay with me(my DH needs to preserve his strength for when I get home!), but I hate to impose. Also, this particular friend can be a bit aggressive at times, and I'm afraid she might anger some of the hospital staff (and lead to worse care)! On the other hand, if this is something I should do, I will do it.

I would appreciate any input you all have. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 10:52 AM

Hey Infoqueen,

I have been home from the castle for 2 days now. I stayed for 2 nights. I have TVH with bladder lift. My daughter stayed with me the first night and I'm sure glad she did. It was a big help having her there. Don't worry about your friend's aggressiveness. Hopefully she won't need to be, but sometimes it pays to be a little pushy.

Surgery for me was late Monday afternoon and today (Friday) I feel great. Just take your pain meds, even if you feel like you might not need them and get plenty of rest. I'm still weak and tire easily but other than that I'm doing very well.

Jane
ShawneeBear
Unread 06-18-2004, 10:52 AM

Speaking as someone who lives in the same city as you....unless you are going to a different city for the surgery I would have someone stay with you. As long as you have a pprivate room it is allowed...here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 10:56 AM

Hello InfoQueen

My DH is staying with me that first night. Hopefully I won't have to be in the castle any longer than that. If I have to be, then my lil sis is staying with me, due to DH not being able to get off of work, they are short a man, and he is the only one that can pull the extra hours and days!!

Anyways, I want someone there with me. I think it is a matter of preference, but then again, I feel that someone at least needs to be there that first night. You know, just in case you can't get the nurses to help you out, tend to your pain and stuff. That person that stays, can at least help you in several ways, if the nurses are unable to be there and assist, due to patient coverage.

Hope you find the answer you are searching for! Hope I helped, even if it was just a little......

LIW

Alle
Unread 06-18-2004, 11:03 AM

I have a friend who is staying with me till she feels comfortable that I am coherent enough to buzz the nurse if need be.

In her experience with her sister having the same surgery, the anesthesia had a longer effect on her than usual, so she insisted that she stay with me until I am comfortable and most importantly coherent. …

You may want to make a similar arrangement with your friend….
Unread 06-18-2004, 11:06 AM

I would want someone there at all times if possible. My dd and dh stayed the first day and after that my care went down hill.

The nurses are stretched so thin at most places all they can focus on it the critical care stuff. No one has time to fix your bed, offer to wipe your face, help to the bathroom, etc. At least that was my experience.

I wouldn't worry about her being aggressive. You need someone agressive. Just tell her ahead of time to be quiet as a mouse or she will wear you down.

good luck sweetie!
Unread 06-18-2004, 11:13 AM

I was in ICU the first two nights and that was fine--I had MORE attention than I wanted lol! But I was on a regular unit my third night and oh boy, did I wish I'd had my friend stay with me. It was MISERABLE to be on my own under those circumstances. The next morning I called her and begged her to come as soon as possible and "please don't leave me alone"! I felt soooooo vulnerable, and having not slept for three days straight, I wasn't thinking clearly, starting to hallucinate, etc., and I was losing track of my medications (I have a very complicated med regimen and could not trust the staff to keep it straight--with good reason, as it turned out; I was not harmed at all, but part of my problem was that I was in withdrawal from a medication we all missed, and that made my crazy feelings worse).

You are not imposing, and I doubt your friend's potential aggressiveness will lead to worse care. It might be quite the opposite, in fact, if she's able to keep track of your care and advocate for you.
Unread 06-18-2004, 11:21 AM

I had my hubby stay for both nites and im sure glad he did,especially since i didnt remember anything from the first nite due to the meds and he told me everything that i did the first nite, how i dont remember getting out of bed and sitting on a chair...wow was amazed. Its nice having someone there with you,so when you need the little stuff and feel weird pushing the call button for something small, it was nice having him there to do it for me... He also did the latte run every morning...if you notice your friend being too aggressive then make sure you set boundries with her...good luck.....
Unread 06-18-2004, 11:46 AM

I had a friend stay with me just until she felt comfortable that I was being well attended. She left around 6 pm. I was given Benadryl because the morphine made me itch, so I slept soundly all night. Only woke up for blood pressure and temp readings. I think I would have felt guilty had I had someone stay with me because I was out all night.

I was lonely the following day and night. If anything, I could have used company then. I jumped at the chance to be released the next day.

Rosanne
Unread 06-18-2004, 01:59 PM

I have one friend who will atay with DH and myself during the day of surgery and another friend who will stay with me the first night. The friend who is keeping us company on day of surgery, will come back during the days and the other frend will come back at nights if I need her. DH will be around but, I want to give him a break as he will be my care giver at home.

The little things will make a big differance.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register