Op Date and Another Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Op Date and Another Question Op Date and Another Question

Unread 04-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Op Date and Another Question

Hi, I finally got the date of my surgery. May 8. I could have gone with April 29, but the class I teach at our local community college won't be ended until the 30th. Also, my best friend in the whole world, a guy I've hung out with for six years and who I adore, is moving to Miami May 6. I figured I wouldn't miss him quite so much if I were all involved in the surgery at that time, whereas if I had it before he left, I would just be miserable on top of miserable.

I'm scared though! My whole life seems to be changing and there's nothing I can do to stop the changes. And on top of it all, my warantee must have expired and my body is falling apart. (I just had to have a breast biopsy less than two weeks ago, after my very first mammogram turned up with an abnormal finding. Thank God it was nothing, but talk about stress!)

Anyway, enough rambling. I do have a question. What are the benfits vs. drawbacks of keeping your ovaries and cervix? I have the option of keeping both or neither.

Thanks so much for the information. I love this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 07:00 PM

Hi, Shashi -

I had to laugh at your warranty expiring comment - my husband made the same joke about me (between my hysterectomy and upcoming thyroid surgery, I think he's right). My aunt, who has ovarian cancer, quipped to her husband that he can't even trade her in for a new model, cause she doesn't have much trade-in value right now :-). Gotta keep that attitude up!

It's normal normal normal to be scared.

As for your question, it's a difficult decision to make, particularly about the ovaries. They do produce hormones which do certain good things (usually) for our bodies, so if you're a long way from normal menopause age (you didn't mention how old you are), that may be a consideration. Some women prefer to remove them because of cancer risks. I suggest doing a search for "ovaries" on this web site, and you'll probably get lots of pros and cons and opinions - perhaps they will help you reach a decision.

Glad your breast biopsy turned out ok!
Unread 04-02-2002, 07:03 PM

I have got to have a total hysterec. on the 19th.
From what I hear the deal with the ovaries is if you have to have them taken also then you have to go on hormones....OH BOY. I was really hoping I could keep them. I am a wreak anyway I don't need to have hormone adjusting problems but I am trying to be positive about it and hope for the best. As far as the cervix...I am not sure. I will be keeping an eye for what others tell you.
Good LUck and Keep us informed.

~RuN-AbOuT~
(Lynne)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 07:16 PM

I let the ovaries go because my doctor was afraid I would continue to have problems with them which might require additional surgery. I just turned 43 and her usual guideline is 45. However, I had large cysts and had had endo removed from them before and I figured I might as well get it all over with. As far as hormone problems, my hormones have been whacky for some time and I'm hoping with HRT I will finally get straightened out. I know it may take some adjusting at first, but I'll persist until it's right. They gave me a shot during surgery which is supposed to last a month and so far, I've had a few night sweats and one crying jag. Other than that, I haven't really noticed a difference yet.

At any rate, I would suggest you get all the info you can and this is a great place for it!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register