endometrial biopsy pain...not cramps | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endometrial biopsy pain...not cramps endometrial biopsy pain...not cramps

Unread 10-30-2002, 05:56 PM
endometrial biopsy pain...not cramps

hi sisters!

i've got a question for you. i had an endometrial biopsy yesterday. it did hurt like y'all told me it would. i took advil before i went but it might as well had been a cube of sugar.

the nurse and doctor were very sympathetic and let me stay in the room until i felt i could get up and get dressed.

it's been about 32 hours since i had it done and i'm still having pain. very light spotting but pain that feels nothing like cramps. it's an actual pain.

my cervix hurts. it hurts to sit, walk, or stand. it feels like it's extremely swollen (which it probably is). the big issue here is that i can't take ibuprofen, aspirin or aleve because i'm having a UAE done on 11/8. i already have a low platelet count because i have lupus so they don't want to take any chances on my blood being any thinner than it is.

tylenol is not really helping. i have some darvocet which helps some but what i really need is something to help with the swelling. it's not like i can put an ice pack on it!

does anyone have any idea of what i might be able to do here?

thanks systers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2002, 07:04 PM

Oh my!! I have to go in to have an endometrial biopsy tomorrow!!!! YIKES!!! I am not ready for this !!! What can you tell me about what I should expect? I have to drive home after this procedure which will be about 30-45 min. drive depending on the traffic. Will I be able to do this??? Now I am scared!!!
Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Donna
Unread 10-30-2002, 07:27 PM

I had one a few weeks back. It does feel a little crampy at first and then a few minutes of pinching type pressure. My dr was very gentle with me and explained everything as she was doing the procedure. Afterwards, she gave me a small pad to put on incase of any spotting. I went home and took some Motrin, which I could have done beforehand, but didn't know I was having the procedure done till the morning of my appt. I was fine to drive myself home, and only felt slight pain that afternoon. Nothing more than a very mild cramp for a few hours. Take care!

*hugs*
julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2002, 10:10 PM

Hi Catholder,

You should give your doctor a call and see what s/he suggests or if there is some problem. After an endometrial biopsy, you really shouldn't have that much pain, just mild cramping.

I've had two biopsies. With the second one, I drove there on my lunch break from work, then went straight back to the office and worked the rest of the afternoon. There was some mild discomfort and spotting, but no serious pain. (In some cases, the amount of discomfort you have may depend on whether or not you have had a vaginal birth. Something to do with the dialation of the cervix, I believe.)

Donna, I hope your biopsy goes well tomorrow. You really should have no problems driving home.

Best wishes and lots of s,

Lisa
Unread 10-30-2002, 10:36 PM

Hi Gals,

Thought I'd add my

Catholder, I'm with Lisa -- call your doctor. You should not be in this kind of pain/discomfort.

Donna,

I also had 2 endometrial biopsies -- the first one hurt like (a word I can't say) --- this one was attempted by my GP (who I've since left). This was the reason I demanded a referral to a female gyn.

When my gyn told me SHE was going to do another one (becasue he didn't get enough tissue with the first one) I was really dreading it --- took the 800 mg of Motrin beforehand like she said to --- guess what, it wasn't much worse than a pap exam! Guess it makes quite a difference when your doc knows what she's doing! BTW, I've never had children, so my cervix was tight AND I had a tilted uterus.

Donna, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Lisa's right, you should be just fine.

z to all!
Unread 10-30-2002, 11:46 PM

I hope you ladies are right. I sure can't sleep tonight!!! I have two children, both natural childbirth. That was so long ago though. My DD is 20 and my DS is 18. Hopefully, I will get through this with little discomfort. I tried to get my gyn to skip the biopsy and go straight to the hysterectomy but he wants to know what he is dealing with first. I just have so much going on right now and I don't want any more bad news. Thank you all for your thoughts and support!!

Catholder- I hope you are feeling better and please call your doctor to find out why you are having this pain.

Donna
Unread 10-31-2002, 12:56 AM

Hi Donna,

Sweetie, if your gyn is doing the biopsy you will be fine --- they are used to dealing with this kind of thing. Understand that my experience was with someone that didn't know what he was doing (I guess he was trying to expand his experinece with me???)

Truly, it was SO much different with my gyn...

z
Unread 10-31-2002, 09:11 AM

Catholder,

Please do call your dr about that pain. Doesn't sound quite right to me.

Donna - my children are older (youngest 22) & I recently had an endometrial biopsy. Hurt a bit during the procedure (but I had not taken anything for pain prior as I did not know I was going to have it done til I got there) - like Lisa, I had mild cramping & spotting for a day or 2, but it was not nearly as bad as a period!

I hope everything goes well for you all! Take care ...

Mongie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register