My hands keep falling asleep!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My hands keep falling asleep!!! My hands keep falling asleep!!!

Unread 12-29-2005, 11:30 PM
My hands keep falling asleep!!!

I'm not on hormones or any type of meds except pain. My hands & arms go to sleep & cold, I get the swelling in my hands & feet too. I hate this feeling & it's scary. Any info is welcomed.

God Bless
Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2006, 03:01 PM

What is a wellness Dr. and where do you find one?
Thanks!

Rozanne
Unread 03-30-2006, 08:57 PM

-slethridge-
I can relate! *Sigh*...for me the hand swelling is from water weight (a necessary trade-off for my ERT (Premarin only))
I, too, have apnea. You'll love it when I tell you that my doctor questioned it because my feet started swelling--I mean so badly they hurt!--and we were approaching it from the pt. of view of "different/stronger diuretic" and getting me off one diabetic med (to boost insulin production/use) and on to another...with no change whatsoever. Then he thinks for a moment and says "Apnea? Hmmm..." I told him then, that I'd been falling asleep at work, never feel rested, etc. and the only other time I was like this was when I was estrogen deprived (post-op 20+ yrs. earlier) and it only started up again since my Premarin had been reduced and I'd had to take steroids for my asthma (which knocks out the Premarin...*sigh*)
To make a long story short: We schedule a couple of sleep studies and I not only have apnea (stop breathing every minute) but also go "hypoxic" while sleeping (O2 level should be >90 mine hover in low 50s).
So, your feet, at least, could be in part due to your apnea. Are you on a CPAP machine? Do you feel rested when you wake up? How about energy through the day? If your apnea's not being treated properly and the swelling is related you'll have to get on top of the former before the latter will improve.
(I'm still working on that ... getting the apnea/hypoxia dealt with. *Sigh*)
Take care and keep us posted. Sounds too, like this might be a good time to settle in with one doctor and have some serious talks/investigations into what your taking, why and if they're the right things in the right amts. How much fun can one woman stand!? <lol>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2006, 11:29 AM

When my hands started going numb (pre-hysterectomy), I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
Unread 04-04-2006, 06:47 AM

I've been having problems with my right hand going numb. I thought it was carpal tunnel because I type all day at the computer for a living. Slethridge: Going from 0 estrogen to 2 mg a day is a big jump which is bound to cause hot flashes. Any changes will. Perhaps they wouldn't be as bad if you took a smaller dose at first. If you have the scored tabs, maybe you could break them in half and just take half for a while until your body adjusts.
Unread 04-05-2006, 09:31 AM

I recently tried the a progestin-only pill called Norethindrone and then tried NuVo Ring (to try to help with Endometriosis) and both caused me to have severe pins & needles/stinging sensation in my feet and hands. I only started the ring on Friday and by Monday I was literally hobbling around because my legs hurt so much. It is getting better today (took the ring out yesterday afternoon), but still has some residual stinging. If anyone figures out how this is related to hormones (or anything else for that matter) let me know. I haven't been sure if I'm just reacting to the hormonal change or if it has something to do with poor circulation.

Lisa
Unread 04-05-2006, 09:57 AM

Lisa,
For me I had tingling in my hands when my estrogen was too high.
When they lowered my dose, it went away.

Rozanne
Unread 04-05-2006, 10:07 AM

Rozane -
That's very interesting...thanks for letting me know! It is frustrating to not know if it is hormone or circulation. Definitely don't want to risk the blood clots!
Lisa
Unread 04-06-2006, 03:39 PM

About 1 month after my hysterectomy my hands started falling asleep, 4-5 times a night. It was mostly my right hand, but my left did it sometimes too. About 1 month ago, my right hand was tingling all the time and my wrist hurt. I found out yesterday I have carpal tunnel in my right arm. They didn't check the left, but I think it is starting there too. I got a splint to put on my wrist at night when I sleep, since that seems to be the time I do the most harm. Hopefully that will take care of it. If not, then more surgery (No thanks!!!). Just wanted to let you know that if your hands tingle and are numb alot, get checked for Carpal tunnel so you don't do permanent damage.
Unread 04-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Oh, no!!! Sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel syndrome. What kind of a doctor do you see for that? I think I need to get this checked out. Even though it seems to get really bad as a reaction to medications, it still does it sometimes by itself, just to a much lesser degree. I hope the splint works well for you. Thanks for the info!

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register