gain or lose weight post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

gain or lose weight post-op? gain or lose weight post-op?

Unread 04-15-2010, 10:01 AM
gain or lose weight post-op?

I'm just wondering what is everyone's experience with weight loss or gain after this surgery. I am now 17 days out and I have lost 8 pounds thus far. I had gained 20 pounds in a few months before the surgery because I was basically couch-bound from the pain and pressure. I am very overweight to begin with and I sure didn't need those extra 20.

When I was in the hospital they had a bed that weighed me automatically and displayed the number. It was 293 lbs. even though I weighed myself that morning at 271. The nurse said it also weighs all the blankets, pillows and who knows what else from the bed so I hope they subtract all that when they dose you with meds!

I am hoping for some encouragement from ladies who are in various stages of recovery or maybe even a long ways out from this surgery. I gained a lot of weight with my thyroidectomy 10 years ago and that added to the 50 pounds that never came off after twins. Then, I started to do better, lost 30 pounds and was going great - then all this female stuff, bleeding, back and leg pain etc. for a couple of years. I fought through it but the last few months have just been hell.

What have you done to lose weight that has been successful as you recovered? Anyone with a good plan I would love to hear it. My sister was anorexic and her diet is "if it tastes good - spit it out." I kind of was hoping for something better than that - but am desperate now to get in shape after so many medical issues in middle age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Re: gain or lose weight post-op?

Dyanne,

I am completely the opposite. I've always been underweight - turned out I've always been ill. Everytime I had a surgery (to get rid of the problem), I would gain weight. The best weight I've had was 20 years ago after my first brain(tumor) surgery. I stayed in the hospital for40 days and gained 18 lbs which was noted on the chart by my sugeon in a proud tone.

I have not reached that ideal weight ever since. Turned out I continued to have different types of ailments - blame the genes and the environment!

We all have different metablism - my Sister-in-law is a nutrition professor. She's 'balooned' after having 4 girls and juggling a full-time job plus getting advanced degrees. She's never been very active physically except some cheerleading when she was in high school.

She now walks regularly and is trying hard to shed some pounds because diabetes runs in the family (her Grandfather and Mother both were diabetic and died of the complications - one at 50 and the other at 80.)

I think getting regular exercise (perhaps walking for an hour 4 times a week?) will regulate our 'system' and bring us closer to our ideal weight. For a underweight person like me, it will stimulate my appetite. For a person who is overweight, it will regulate the blood sugar level and shed pounds when combined with proper diet.

Sometimes joining a aerobic class will help. Have you checked with your hospital/clinic about their weight-loss program? Our local hospital ( a big general hospital) has a fitness club and they walk/run regularly in local parks and/or the newly installed walking/biking trail not far from our home. At the end (in the middle of the whole trail since there are two entrances) there's a huge waterfall and everyone enjoys the sight and sound.

Good luck to your resolve to getting in shape. You can do it. "Where there's a will, there is a way!"
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:30 AM

I had my surgery 10 days ago. I've lost 5 pounds since my surgery. I was very worried before surgery that i would gain weight after it. I started eating healthier and riding a stationary bike last Jan. I've lost 49 pounds in 15 months. I'm eating about the same calories as before my surgery and not exercising and i'm dropping weight fast . I'm wondering how much my hormones were so out of wack making it harder to loose weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2010, 11:49 AM

I am almost exactly one year from surgery. Losing weight has been a struggle but my body has definitely changed and I am healthier. I am a size and a half smaller even though the weight loss has been negligible. I know my hormones are still way out of whack and that doesn't help a lot with weight loss.
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:53 AM

I am a month post-op and I did gain some weight, but since this was mostly due to fluid retention and abdominal bloat, I am finding that I am losing some of the weight I put on, at least. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about weight gain or loss, it depends on us and the diet and calorie intake we follow.
Good luck and get well soon!

'Kat
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks so much Jackie. It was a pep talk I needed right now. You are so right about the metabolism and it being different. I am so not like my sister - who has suffered from eating disorders and she is like a size two right now. My other sister struggles with obesity as did my mom and hers before her.

I used to be very thin - graduated from high school at 112 and married at 120. I lost the weight from my first two babies in due time but the last was twins and that weight just stuck like glue. Then, I lost a bunch hyperthyroid, but after two surgeries to remove the gland I gained another 70 or so. Combine that with the 20 before this surgery and I just feel terrible about myself.

I was very active for a long time but have been a "couchie" since the fibroids started pressing against my spine. Now, I feel I can finally get back to it. Today, was the first day I feel energized and organized and I have done a lot of housework. I thank you for the tip about the hospital programs I get these kinds of flyers all the time but forgot about them. I send you for all you've been through and I'm sure we will both be celebrating wellness in no time!
Unread 04-15-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies! It sounds like a lot of people lose some after this surgery. I know I finally no longer feel like someone is sitting on my lap anymore and that's with some swelling still.

I agree that these hormones being out of whack can really play hell with your metabolism - I learned that fighting Hashi's and adjusting to life without a thyroid gland. When I was hyperthryroid, I lost a lot of weight. Once they took it - I gained like crazy until my meds stabilized which took a couple of years. Now, it seems like my setpoint is way higher.

I knew this surgery wouldn't be a magic fix for this problem but I am hoping it will at least make weight loss possible with a reduced calorie diet and a lot of exercise. The last couple of years I walked on a treadmill for an hour a night, 6 nights a week and worked on weights every other night. I walk my dog and take long walks with the hubby. Still, I struggled to lose 20 pounds. I had reduced my calories and my doctor told me I was in "starvation mode" and to increase them again. But, nothing really has helped.

I figure I am fighting genetics, the pregnancy weight, the thyroid disease and the female hormone and medical issues. I hope I have stabilized the thyroid enough and now that I took care of the female issues I can see some real progress. Diabetes runs in my family as well and I want a healthier future.
Unread 04-16-2010, 10:55 AM

I lost some weight initially but I think it was due to my body using more energy for healing. From the reading I've done and my own experience, you'll need to be more careful about your weight afterward. I too am recovering from a very low cal diet and I'll never do that again. Getting my metabolism to fire back up has taken some time!
Unread 04-16-2010, 05:19 PM

I am 5 months post op and have lost 23lbs. I lost 12 lbs. in the first 5 weeks, and then another 10lbs. over the next 2 months. I got on the scale this morning and am down one more!!!! The loss is slowing down, but I was only about 20lbs. overweight before. I was not able to make that extra 20lbs. budge prior to surgery, but by doing the same dieting techniques (cutting back and exercising) I had done before the hysterectomy...I was able to lose afterwards. I am 56 and am on the Vivelle Dot .1. I know we are all different...hope you have success now!!!!
Unread 04-16-2010, 06:42 PM

I am now 7 months post surgery and have lost 28 pounds since. I finally reached my goal weight. Prior to surgery I had deliberately tried to lose some weight to be healthier and had lost about eight pounds in the two months prior. I am now exercising six-seven days a week and eat totally different than before. I have been put on a very restrictive diet due to interstitial cystitis (inflammation of bladder) and that has helped me to lose weight. Just get moving and keep with it. It is definitely possible to lose weight. It can be done.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register