well its official, im having a TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

well its official, im having a TAH well its official, im having a TAH

Unread 09-20-2013, 02:12 AM
well its official, im having a TAH

Yes, its true, its all sinking in, and strangely enough, im quite calm about it all. Due to all my ongoing issues because of cervical stenosis from a past cone biopsy for cin3 , im having a TAH on the 4th november. I have to have the TAH due to my cervix being so tight and my gyno wants to go the safest way. Im all for that, even though I know my recovery will be a little longer . My mum, sisters, sister in law and friends have all jumped on board to help out as i have three children, the youngest being two. My husband is worried sick about me ofcourse. And im nervous, yes, but i have had time to reflect over the weekend and now i need to move forward and think positively about the future. Im sure you will hear more from me sisters/ I have written a few posts recently, and if there is anyone else out there who has issues for cervical stenosis, i would love to hear from you.

cheers lunanic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Re: well its official, im having a TAH

I had cervical stenosis, but that didn't affect whether I had a TAH or not. It had an effect much earlier in the diagnostic process. When my gyn tried to do a endometrial biopsy, she couln't - my cervix just wasn't letting her put the probe through to my uterus. So I had a hysteroscopy/D&C instead. That resulted in a diagnosis of endometrial cancer, which resulted in a TAH. I was told that a TAH with a vertical incision gives the gyn onc the most room to have a look around for signs of cancer outside the uterus. That sounded like a good idea to me!

Here's the part I need to stress: a TAH is not necessarily an awful thing to have. My surgery went smoothly. I had a pleasant three-day hospital stay, followed by an easy recovery. I had minimal pain and no complications. At two weeks, I could walk a mile at my normal stride and pace. At four weeks, I returned to my job (part-time desk work) with a restriction on lifting heavy boxes. At six weeks, I could handle the boxes too.

Now, at almost four months, I still have a bit of swelly belly in the evenings. My belly looks as if someone drew a 7" line down it with a purple Sharpie. I know from experience with other scars that the colour will eventually fade.

It's going to be okay.
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:49 AM

I do not have experience with what you describe, but I want to offer blessings and support to you. I did not have so long to consider options before my hysterectomy, but if I had, I would have pursued a 2nd opinion. Not that a 2nd opinion would have changed my outcome, but I feel that being totally prepared is best. My only advice is to get a 2nd opinion(if you feel you need one) and to do as much research via this site and others. Knowledge is power, Sister!

Blessing & Healing to You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Thank you for your responses,

Im happy to hear the recovery process may be quicker than I have expected. As for the second opinion, it's all ok. This has been ongoing for two years and we certainly didn't jump onto this decision lightly. I have had time to think as I knew this may eventually be a possibility down the track, and here I am. My gyno is so supportive and understanding . Will keep you posted.

Thanks for listening

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register