TAH d be life with no uterus and missing one ovary? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

d be life with no uterus and missing one ovary? d be life with no uterus and missing one ovary?

Unread 10-01-2013, 10:48 AM
d be life with no uterus and missing one ovary?

Hi Dear Sisters,

My name is Arelis and I had a TAH last Thursday, also removed one ovary and tubes, I'm 35 years old and I'm wondering how would it be from now on? What can I expect living without a uterus and missing an ovary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Re: d be life with no uterus and missing one ovary?

Hi Arelis!
I had a TAH and a BS back in June, and I've noticed a few things being uterus-less. First of all, you shouldn't have any more periods. That part rocks.
You might still have PMS, which is not so awesome, but it happens. Good thing there's lots of chocolate available.
I found that my pain that I experienced on a monthly basis from ovulation to menstruation has decreased greatly - from "I'm in so much pain I'm throwing up" to "oh my back is a teensy bit twinge-y. I don't even need a pain pill!". I'm enjoying that.
I have had a resurgence of my insomnia, but I seem to be controlling it well with light exercise, avoiding caffeine and melatonin supplements if it's really bad. (I've had insomnia for a good 20 years, so it's nothing new.)

You'll have some swelling (I had wicked Swelly Belly for weeks!), and pooping is interesting for the first while. Take your time, allow your body to heal. It's going to take the time that it takes - you can't rush yourself.

Most of all, accept all help offered!
Heal well!
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Thank you ToffeeCat!! I don't even want to start about the swelling!! lots of belly swelly I cant even see my incision! and yes it has been difficult asking for help as I do not like to lay around and do nothing, already looking forward to start driving!! I know its too early but goshhh it feels u'r useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:13 PM

Hi Arelis,

I also had a TAH plus one ovary and tube removed 13 years ago. Like you, I was too young for "normal" onset of menopause, so it was great to have ovulation continue for a long time but have no periods. Now I'm 57 and I suppose I've gone into menopause, but never had anything too severe happen as of yet.

Be very glad you have one ovary, as one of them can do the work of two, and it will provide you with the hormones you need.

For now though, your body is adjusting to having had major surgery, and has LOADS of healing to do. Remember that if you over-do it, the swelly-belly will get worse as you have had countless stitches inside that have reconnected everything.

You may feel restless, but you only have one chance to heal properly. It is well worth it to ask for help and take it easy rather than to set back your recovery. Put your feet up when you get the chance, and avoid prolonged sitting, as that puts stress on the healing areas.

You are not useless...you are recovering!

My very best to you,
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Hi I too just had a abdominal hysterectomy at 26. Removed uterus and Fallopian tubes, had endometriosis burned off my ovaries and elsewhere. I had no other option as i was retrograde bleeding into my abdomen and in severe pain presumably due to that.. I am super anxious to see if I am "fixed" and pain free! A little anxious until I get 2 months pain free!
I too am nervous of what to expect.
I have been having some hot flashes and insomnia. It's glad to hear that your ovulation pain and menastration pain has greatly diminished!
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:40 PM

I have right ovary & tube left but unfortunately my ovary is not functioning & I am in menopause. I am still in pain too but dr is not sure why. I am recovered from surgery though
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:44 PM
d be life with no uterus and missing one ovary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcospatient View Post
I have right ovary & tube left but unfortunately my ovary is not functioning & I am in menopause. I am still in pain too but dr is not sure why. I am recovered from surgery though
How did you find out your ovary isn't functioning?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register