Just back from endometrial biopsy with report | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just back from endometrial biopsy with report Just back from endometrial biopsy with report

Unread 02-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Just back from endometrial biopsy with report

I went for my endometrial biopsy this morning, even though I'm still not sure about the surgery. I thought that more information could help me decide one way or the other. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I showed up at the office nearly shaking with fear, but the nurse reassured me that the Dr. is very gentle and I would be fine. When the Dr. came in, I told him that I was afraid of the pain and asked him to be extra gentle and help me however he could.

Here's how it goes:

Dr. puts a clamp on the cervix. That was uncomfortable, but not bad. It was the worst part of the entire procedure.

Dr. put antiseptic on cervix area and gave me several small shots to numb the area. I felt the shots, but they were easier than dental numbing by far. Then, he let the first shots sit for a minute and did another round.

I was blathering away about stuff and told him how afraid I was of what was going on down there. He said, "Well, how would you feel if I told you we are all done?" I was really surprised. The whole thing was relatively easy.

I've been home for about an hour and a half, and the numbing is wearing off. It's really not bad at all. I've never had monthly cramps, but this is something like a mild cramp in the uterus. And the cervix is sore in the way it can be after a pap smear. I have some minor bloody discharge, but not a lot. I can't wear a tampon for my next period or have sex for two weeks. I'll probably pamper myself today just because I'm being extra nice to me lately, but I could have worked.

All in all, not anywhere near as bad as I feared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2007, 08:37 AM

I want YOUR doctor. I've had 5 of those and never was I given any pain meds or numbing meds. They hurt like he**.

Jean
Unread 02-09-2007, 08:55 AM

Glad it wasn't bad. I was soo afraid too especially after reading some of the stories. One person actually had a sedative before hand. I didn't feel a thing. My doc just numbed mine with spray. Then I'm just laying there thinking what the heck is he doing?? So I asked him-he said he was done. I just cracked up. Anyway I was hoping like you that it would help me make a decision-it didn't. Mine was clean and I'm thankful for that, but in the end I decided to do the TAH. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2007, 10:51 AM

They didn't give me anything for mine either and it hurt like hell for a few minutes & then cramping & bleeding for 2 days but glad I did it & the results were normal. The Dr. said that I may feel a slight "pinch" but it was more than that & ended up crying so good thing my dh was there so I could squeeze his hand - I think he's still recovering from that though
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Yeah...despite the pain, I was happy I'd done it too. It is what put me into the "take it out" thinking. Before that, I was willing to manage all my symptoms- but hyperplasia is not to be messed with. So....

I'd say it hurt for about 20 minutes- severe cramping and sharp pains. Then- I was fine.

I measure almost all pain by two things I've had: giving birth and kidney stones- the biopsy, while painful, didn't even come CLOSE to comparing.

Jean
Unread 02-09-2007, 02:05 PM

I had mine last month - no numbing, but other than aching after , and feeling the pinch (OK it's a HARD pinch) and I've been aching anyways, it wasn't too bad. I came down with a cold the same day so I just took it easy. Mine came back clean (no cancer, just "old" cells - hah!)

I did make the mistake at looking at the prep table before - and saw what she used - I think that's what bothered me the most!
Unread 02-09-2007, 03:28 PM

Boy, you are lucky. I didn't have anything to numb me either (although my doctor was as gentle as possible). For some reason, she had trouble getting a good sample and had to try 3 times. It was very uncomfortable - luckily everything was ok. I'm just glad that I've had the hysterectomy and (hopefully) can get on with my life.
Unread 02-09-2007, 04:01 PM

I had it done three times with nothing. The last time my cervix wouldn't dilate. So she had to dialate me. Need I say more!
Unread 02-09-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightandclouds
...Dr. put antiseptic on cervix area and gave me several small shots to numb the area. I felt the shots, but they were easier than dental numbing by far. Then, he let the first shots sit for a minute and did another round.
What!! Is this why I practically fell off of the table? I didn't get anything to make the procedure comfortable and yes it did hurt like heck.
Unread 02-10-2007, 05:37 AM

I can't imagine how all of you got through the biopsy without numbing. What are doctors thinking to put you through that kind of pain when they don't have to. The numbing part took only a few minutes and it helped tremendously. I think I told my doctor "thank you for being so gentle" about 5 times.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register