Does anaesthetic affect mental focus? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does anaesthetic affect mental focus? Does anaesthetic affect mental focus?

Unread 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Re: Does anaesthetic affect mental focus?

LOL on the taxes! One of the reasons I did them in advance is because I was terrified of the surgery, and was thinking about how complicated things would be for my hubby if I died! So I tried to put as much in order as I could, including the taxes! But I also did a lot of advance work at my job to try to make sure all of my projects would function smoothly or would wait without any disastrous repercussions for my return.

I was on pain meds for only one week following surgery, then didn't need them. I'm lucky there, I guess. I'm 5 weeks post-op today, and I'm progressively more mentally alert. But it's still seems like more work than it should be to do things that require mental energy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPiper View Post
LOL on the taxes! One of the reasons I did them in advance is because I was terrified of the surgery, and was thinking about how complicated things would be for my hubby if I died! So I tried to put as much in order as I could, including the taxes! But I also did a lot of advance work at my job to try to make sure all of my projects would function smoothly or would wait without any disastrous repercussions for my return.

I was on pain meds for only one week following surgery, then didn't need them. I'm lucky there, I guess. I'm 5 weeks post-op today, and I'm progressively more mentally alert. But it's still seems like more work than it should be to do things that require mental energy.
I was wondering if you took any aleve or over the counter meds after you went off pain meds? I stopped yesterday also which is one week
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:27 PM

My one friend who have a TAH 7 years ago warned me about the lack of focus. She told me it starts to improve at 3 weeks and it will get better over time. It is so weird to have down time (I never get that) and just stare out the window. But it is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 04:36 PM

I am 6 weeks post-op and my problem is that I keep forgetting words. I can right in the middle of a conversation and completely cannot remember the word I need! So frustrating. Hopefully it will get better LOL!
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM

I am so glad I found this post!! I wasn't even sure if I was making this up or not. I am a big book reader and download a lot of ebooks weeks before my surgery. I am 1 week post op, I can't concentrate. I stare at my computer screen or the tv. I dont want to read email or talk on the phone and I have no desire to do anything mentally challenging. Just posting on this site is tiring. I can't wait to be back to "normal"
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM

I am so grateful that my dear friend R (who has had many abdominal surgeries, since she has Crohn's) warned me about the after effects of anaesthesia, how it makes your brain foggy for long after you would expect to feel normal, and that the more times you have surgery the longer it takes to recover. Since I had general anaesthesia twice in less than two months, the second time, my hysterectomy, it took me many weeks before I felt that my head was working properly.

Books seemed too complicated to bother with, and even some movies were just too much effort to watch, both of which are some of my favorite things normally.

I am now three months out, as of tomorrow, and most of the time my head feels pretty clear
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:23 PM

I still don't know how much the mental state is from the anesthesia and how much is from having such stress to my body as a whole. But it's comforting to know that this is not an uncommon situation.

LaineyLaine, I couldn't read a book at all the first week. Or the second week. Even playing solitaire on the computer was too tiring. I'd start a game and lose interest halfway through and just quit it. I've gradually and steadily improved. I am 5 weeks post-op today, and today I am feeling more alert and energetic than I have felt since surgery.
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM

Wow thanks for the reply. Just reading your post and thinking about Solitaire brought tears to my eyes just thinking about trying to play.....This is so twilightzone
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:15 AM

LaineyLaine - At one week post-op I was totally useless! Twilight zone, or surreal, is definitely how I felt for most of the first couple of weeks! Now at 5 weeks post op, if something is a bit mentally challenging, I still tend to set it aside. But I can now read books for relaxation, so that's a big improvement.
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:04 PM

I couldn't read a thing in the hospital during the 5 days I was just there. For most of that time the pain meds had me so doped up I could barely see straight. Hello, double vision...way too many meds on board. When they dialed down the meds I felt much better but I.m not close to normal focusing yet.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register