Cervix/Uterus Both? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix/Uterus Both? Cervix/Uterus Both?

Unread 08-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Cervix/Uterus Both?

My surygery is for Sept. 16th. This site has been the greatest for all info. As far as I know my doc is going to pull the uterus out the vigina. I am keeping my cervix. (I don't know all the terms for this) I am very anemic. My count was at 5. I was so tired and still am. no energy.
Question? where does the sperm go if you have no uterus?
Question? how long can swelly belly last.
I have been busy baking and freezing for my family so I won't have to worry about meals or school lunches.
Will wait to hear from all you wonderful ladies.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Cervix/Uterus Both?

The sperm will go to the top of the vaginal cuff and then will leak out again. Swelly belly last about 3 months for me until it went down; walking and drinking lots of water will help it go down quicker.

Good Luck.
Mustang30
Unread 08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Cervix/Uterus Both?

Are you sure you'll get to keep your cervix? You won't be able to keep your cervix if you're having a vaginal hysterectomy. They have to remove the cervix in order to remove the uterus through the vagina. Please check with your doctor since you are not sure about the term used for your hysterectomy.

Best wishes to you!

Carol
Unread 08-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Cervix/Uterus Both?

(((Carol))) is correct. If you're having a vaginal hysterectomy, they also take the cervix.

As far as sperm, remember that the opening in your cervix is very, very small to begin with, so very little sperm ever got past it in the first place! But to answer your question: if you lose your cervix, they sew up your vagina (the vaginal cuff you often read about) and close it off so that the sperm just comes back out of your vagina. If you keep your cervix intact, the sperm that got through before would still get through, and would simply get absorbed in the abdomen.

My swelly belly lasted a long time (months) but I also had a panniculectomy to remove some additional fat. You'll hear everything from "I never had swelly belly" to "I had it a couple of days" to "I had it non-stop for 8 weeks" and even more. Most women do experience it at least a little bit, however.
Unread 08-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Cervix/Uterus Both?

It concerns me a little that you are scheduled for a surgery that doesn't seem to have been thoroughly explained to you by your doctor.
While you don't mention the reason for your hysterectomy and we have no way of knowing how serious your condition is from the information given, I'm hoping that you realize hysterectomy is a very serious, major, life altering surgery and should only be done as a last resort.

Are you keeping your ovaries? Have the function of the ovaries, as endocrine organs, been explained to you by your doctor? Are you aware that if keeping your ovaries, hysterectomy still jeopardizes them and long term plans for your health maintenance should be discussed with your doctor regarding ovarian function or hormone replacement prior to your surgery date?

Have you had a base line hormone panel done in case you experience ovarian failure (or have them removed) so you can get yourself as close to "normal" as possible after your surgery?

The answers to these questions can have significant impact on your recovery time, energy levels and physical abilities after surgery.

Now is the time to learn everything you can about your condition and the surgery planned for you. Please make sure that you understand every aspect, terminology, diagnosis and treatment option possible before you make your final consent. Unless you have a life threatening condition (as you may) you can always take the time to have your questions answered before surgery, but once these organs are removed, you cannot replace them or reverse your decision. So please keep reading, learning and asking questions until you are an expert on your condition.

Best wishes
Unread 09-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Cervix/Uterus Both?

Lucille,
Thanks for your letter. I have had severe periods, lots of pain, bleeding for weeks at a time. My uterus is enlarged and am very anemic. I am told I will keep my ovaries. There should be no reason for them to be taken out. I am prepared to have this operation if it will make me feel better. No more periods sounds like a dream to me. I am 47, had 4 children so will have no regrets. I have learnt alot on this site and happy I have found it.
Any other info from anyone is welcome.
Sandi
Unread 09-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Cervix/Uterus Both?

Dairy Gal,

Please read my previous posts on keeping the cervix- most cervical cancer is caused by a virus called HPV and if you don't have the virus, then you are at very low risk for developing cervical cancer and are thus a candidate to keep the cervix.

The two procedures which keep the cervix are LSH (Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy), and SAH (subtotal abdominal hysterectomy).

Keeping the cervix is an issue which you should research carefully before deciding to have it removed.

I've posted a great deal on this issue, so you can click on my name and search previous posts to read some of my information that I posted on previous threads.

Good luck.

-Torrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register