Painful gas and bowel movements | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful gas and bowel movements Painful gas and bowel movements

Unread 05-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Painful gas and bowel movements

I am a newbie first time on the board. Had hysterectomy on May 7th ran a fever so had to stay until May 10th. Recovery has been good. Only problem painful gas and bowel movements. Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 04-May 10,2009

ellab49, welcome newbie! Sorry about your fever! What a drag! OK, from what I have read and from my own experience go buy Colace. Its pricey but it is a stool softener and a laxative. I dont know why but this makes a difference. Sisters have said to drink prune juice, eat oatmeal and salads, just add fiber and drink lots of water. I had a horrible time of it til I broke down and bought that more expensive stuff. I bet I spent twice that on all the other kinds...that didnt help. I guess its just part of our recovery. It will get better-but when its bad-its bad!! I've never been happier to see a BM in my life!
Unread 05-18-2009, 03:58 PM

Chessey, I feel like you, never though I would be so happy to have a Bm and then announce it to my hubby who was overjoyed, I felt like a baby who used the potty for the first time- Do you know if the colace can give you Diarreha, OMG I am dying today with stomach ache and diarreha, cant find the happy medium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Oh yah welcome a board Elba- like chessey said the colace is expensive but works, I combined mine with fresh ginger tea for the gas pain, now I cant stop going at all.
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Re: Painful gas and bowel movements

There is a generic for Colace that works pretty good. docusate sodium, usually comes in 100mg strength. You can get it at most drugstores and Wal-Mart, Target, etc.
Unread 05-18-2009, 10:05 PM

I didnt know about the generic Colace! These days every little bit helps. Thanks for that info! I have been giving hubby potty updates, too and think he has to be wondering what is going on with me!! I yell upstairs "I finally had one" or "My tummy hurts so bad! I need to poop but I can't!" The pain and cramps! I WiSH I had the diarreah (ok-I cant spell)problem. I just dont feel like eating that much. I am about 20 lbs overweight so this is good side effect but I wonder if it will last. Today all I had was a Happy Meal and I'm not hungry. Oh-and a Colace (100 mg) and a few strawberries. Anybody else not hungry??
Unread 05-19-2009, 03:43 AM

I had my LHS on May 13.. I walked and then layed on my left side (which wasn't easy to get to that position) to realease gas and it worked the 2nd day after surgery. On the 3rd day post surgery I had my first bowel movement...scarry at first but I was grateful...
I am on a Soft Diet but since the evening of day '3' I have had approx 4 small funky BM'S a day..it freaked me out at first...I have mild gas pains at times but that is usually before a BM...I hope all of this is standard Post Surgery stuff and that I get back to some regularity...I am drinking lots of water and eating light. Need some reassurance!
Unread 05-19-2009, 06:35 AM

Try eating yogurt! It seems to help some. I have been taking 3 Dulcolax (stool Softener) each evening (says take 12 hours) and some yogurt. First real BM was like pooping rocks, (pooped me out, LOL, I had to go lay down afterwards) but now the dulcolax seems to be working. Much easier now. Still get the gas pains just before so I know when I need to go. Have been talking to DH too about all this, he is very supportive. Makes sure I have my yogurt everyday. I have been also using Phazyme for the gas, that seems to relieve the pain some to, but when you are ready for BM, doesn't do much. Keep eating light stuff and try the yogurt, prunes will help too. I think the stool softener is also helpful.

HaHa, never thought I would be so knowledgeable about BM's. But that was one of the things I thought alot about before surgury, I wan't to make sure I prepared myself. Well good luck, and hope everything comes out ok .

LAVH May 13, uterus, cervix, tubes removed, kept ovaries, Yah
Unread 05-19-2009, 06:49 AM

Girls, if you have issues with gas, try Gas-X. It's a lifesaver!! For the BMs, make sure you drink lots of water. You can take all kinds of laxatives and stool softners, but they all work with water, so you want to make sure you are drinking lots. Walking helps get the motion started, so be sure to walk lots.
I had a friend who had had a hyster 4 years before me. She had issues with constipation post-op too. She was given a recipe for a breakfast granola. It comes from a colonoscopy clinic--those who are used to people with BM issues. I made the granola before my surgery, and started eating it the day after I came home from hospital. I was never constipated, despite using narcotics for two weeks, as well as iron pills. The granola worked great for me. It was a great all-natural alternative for me, to the laxative/stool softners, as some of those can be harsh on your system, and others can cause a reliance. It is made with sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, dried apricots, dates, prunes, raisins (among other things) all of which are great for boosting your iron intake. I have posted the recipe in the recipe section of this website, but if you can't find it, you can PM me. The recipe makes a large amount, and I put it in ziploc bags in the freezer, and pulled it out as I needed it. I have elderly parents who are on various medications and constipation is becoming a problem for them too. I gave them some of the granola, and voila! No more problems!

Good luck in your recovery. Sending best wishes.........
Unread 05-19-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesey View Post
I didnt know about the generic Colace! These days every little bit helps. Thanks for that info! I have been giving hubby potty updates, too and think he has to be wondering what is going on with me!! I yell upstairs "I finally had one" or "My tummy hurts so bad! I need to poop but I can't!" The pain and cramps! I WiSH I had the diarreah (ok-I cant spell)problem. I just dont feel like eating that much. I am about 20 lbs overweight so this is good side effect but I wonder if it will last. Today all I had was a Happy Meal and I'm not hungry. Oh-and a Colace (100 mg) and a few strawberries. Anybody else not hungry??
Meeee- I just started to worry today about my lack of appetite, I need to losse weight about 30lbs but I know droping this much weight this fast is not good at all. I had surg on May 4, and I down 15lbs. I was shocked, yet happy, but now I am to the point where I am going to have force myself to eat- HA never had that problem before. I just had a couple of cherries, and I know my hubby will be home soon to force me to eat, I think a turkey sandwich will do. But yeah chessey I am not hungry at all, scared I will gain it all back as rapidly as I lost it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register