Weight Gain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-14-2002, 01:28 PM
Weight Gain?

I know I'm probably naive or vain but I'm wondering how the recovery was for you after having to sit around for 6 weeks to recover. I'm VERY active and I exercise continually and the idea of a TAH and then not being able to go to the gym I feel like I'm going to BALLOON up. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Or did you find that you really put on weight? I know I'll probably have to suck it up and get back into shape when I've recovered but I'm also worried about getting so depressed that I start eating myself to oblivian while I lay on the couch. How did you deal with that? They are planning on leaving my ovaries so I shouldn't have to go on hormones but we will just have to see.
Thanks Kerri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Weight Gain?

Hi Kerri,
I don't think you need to worry about it because you are active before the surgery.
I am only two weeks post op and I know what your feeling about exercise but so far my weight has stayed the same. I exercised a lot before surgery and now I'm down to basically nothing.
What I am doing is watching my calorie intake. I don't need quite as many calories right now until my activity level increases. Don't cut calories too much though because you do need them for healing. I do make sure I do some walking everyday but it's slow pace and not much of it.
Now, You may know this but I really didn't pay much attention to the posts about "swelly belly" before surgery. I thought I would be able to wear my jeans after I came home because I had a Lavh done so I didn't know everybody has swelly belly for a while after surgery. That was upsetting to me for a while.
If you do become depressed and want to reach for food to comfort yourself, instead get online to this wonderful site and post about what you are feeling.
Hang in there and don't be too hard on yourself afterwards.

Many 's to you!!

Lori
Unread 06-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Hi Kerri,

I also had a TAH three weeks ago yesterday. When I returned from the hospital and hopped (or should I say, crawled) on the scales, I had lost 10 pounds. The first few days I was home, I lost 5 more. In the past three weeks, I've only gained back the 5. (I think some of that was dehydration from not eating or drinking for three days. The pain meds made me very sick.)

When I stocked up on food before surgery, I bought Lean Cuisines and low fat, high fiber foods. Also, my appetite hasn't been all that great since surgery. I also go out and walk everyday.

You don't have to gain weight if you're careful, don't snack just because you are bored, and walk as much as you can tolerate.

Best wishes,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2002, 06:51 AM
Weight Gain?

Thanks for replying. I'm starting to get really anxious about this whole process. Not to mention that I have 5 kids 8 and under that I'm feeling really guilty about ruining their summer vacation.
After my last baby 22 months ago I finally got rid of all of the baby weight which was about 70 pounds and I've kept it off for over a year but it is always in the back of my head that it could sneak back on at anytime.
Oh well we do what we have to do. And I know that eventually I'll be back to normal.
Thanks again.
Kerri
7/9/02 TAH
Unread 06-15-2002, 07:01 AM
Kerri

First let me say congratulations on losing so much weight after your baby was born. I can certainly understand your apprehension of gaining weight after your feat. However, you must remember you will be recovering from major surgery so you absolutely don't want to push anything. I too am active and at times I get anxious about just resting but I know it's for the best in the long run.

As for gaining weight, I haven't been on the scale yet (I am 2 1/2 weeks post op now) I can feel I have lost weight. My appetite is not back to normal. I guess from the surgery and pain pills. With 5 children, I don't think you would be putting the weight back on in the recovery time frame.

Just try to rest as much as you can and enjoy your little ones running around and keeping your mind off of eating and gaining weight. I sure wish I had the diversion of little ones running around right now.

Good luck and take it easy.

Unread 06-15-2002, 07:09 AM
Weight Gain?

As someone who is not in the best shape and did not excersize regularly, I have lost 5 pounds since my surgery. I know I am walking more than I did before (most of it unfortunatly for my check book, in the mall!) , and I am also drinking more water than before. So that helps. I have tried to eat better, but there will always be ice cream in the freezer .

Right after surgery I could get into all of my clothes. I even shopped and bought a couple of new things. Then at three weeks I started having some swelling. Not huge, but definatly there. I can't get into that new pair of shorts I bought!!!!

I am sure you will get back into shape very quick!!

Good luck

caren

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register