Bowel Prep...what if you have IBS? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Prep...what if you have IBS? Bowel Prep...what if you have IBS?

Unread 03-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Re: Bowel Prep...what if you have IBS?

That sucks about IBS. But I would do the prep anyway. Its very important to fallow dr's orders.. Can you not take off work the day before surgery? Good luck to you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2012, 08:11 AM

I urge you to call your doctor about this. All of our surgeons are different as well as our bodies. This is why some have to do bowel prep and others don't. Having an empty bowel makes the surgery easier for the doctor and some surgeons just aren't used to performing a hyster with a full bowel pushing up against the uterus. Also, all of our situations are different. If you have endometriosis, for example, the the bowel could become a huge issue and removal of anything on the bowel could be dangerous if it isn't empty.

I understand what you're saying about going often. My uterus causes me to have diarrhea around 7 times a day. But, even at that I know my bowel isn't clean and empty. It's just agitated. My doctor is having me eat light and do an enema the day before. I'm relieved about this. An enema is nothing, but I was concerned about drinking anything because my bowels are always irritated and laxatives seem to make the issue worse.

I would not skip bowel prep if your doctor ordered it. I would, however, call and share more about your situation and get an explanation as to why bowel prep is necessary. Your doctor may choose to skip the laxative and go with an enema instead. But definitely call and definitely follow your doctor's orders.
Unread 03-30-2012, 11:02 AM

I cannot take the day before off...I only have two weeks to be out of work as it is. But I have a very easy job. I cannot take anything at work that might cause me to have a diareaha accident like I did here at the house night before last. It' s physically making me tired thinking about it. If I get off at midnight...I have to be in the hospital at 6 a.m...no time for the bowel prep I don't think. I have had a headache thinking about it! Hope I don't make myself sick. Uggggg
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:56 AM

Ok, I am kind of freaking out reading this because my doctor did not suggest a bowel prep . . . should I do one anyway? Can you get magnesium citrate at the drug store?

I cannot imagine doing a bowel prep, having IBS and having to work. God love you! I will be praying for you.
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealBait View Post
I cannot take the day before off...I only have two weeks to be out of work as it is. But I have a very easy job. I cannot take anything at work that might cause me to have a diareaha accident like I did here at the house night before last. It' s physically making me tired thinking about it. If I get off at midnight...I have to be in the hospital at 6 a.m...no time for the bowel prep I don't think. I have had a headache thinking about it! Hope I don't make myself sick. Uggggg
I had this problem after I had my gallbladder out. I finally just started wearing a big thick maxi pad in the back of my panties. Gross yes but it did keep me from needing to change clothes.
Unread 03-31-2012, 12:22 PM

I put a call in to my doctor...no call back. I am already eating light and am gonna do the liquid thing tuesday. My friend who just got a hysteo ...when I asked her if she got a bowel prep..she said "what!?!?!" So I dont think it really matters if u get one or not. Especially with the darn IBS...I am not gonna chance the fact I may "go" in the car or worse walking into the hospital lol.
Unread 03-31-2012, 12:29 PM

(((Ladies)))

If a bowel prep has been ordered, you need to do it. If one has not been order, you should not do it.

You are putting your life at risk if you do not follow the bowel prep orders to a "T". Even with IBS that causes diarrhea, that does not mean the bowel will be completely cleaned out without a prep. If the bowel gets nicked during surgery and there is any remaining stool, you risk an infection that can be deadly.

If you do a bowel prep when one was not ordered, you could dehydrate your body and your medical team won't be prepared with the right fluids for you during surgery. This can then cause cardiac issues which can also be deadly.

I know a bowel prep is not fun. I hate them. And I also have IBS. But every woman needs to follow her doctor's orders for her as the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and entire surgical team will proceed with surgery as if you had and the risks can be fatal if you did not follow instructions.

Here is an article that might be a bit helpful, but, please, everyone talk to YOUR doctor and follow YOUR instructions in this matter. It is serious and it does matter.

Bowel Prep - Should I Do One or Not?

Unread 03-31-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
(((Ladies)))

If a bowel prep has been ordered, you need to do it. If one has not been order, you should not do it.

You are putting your life at risk if you do not follow the bowel prep orders to a "T". Even with IBS that causes diarrhea, that does not mean the bowel will be completely cleaned out without a prep. If the bowel gets nicked during surgery and there is any remaining stool, you risk an infection that can be deadly.

If you do a bowel prep when one was not ordered, you could dehydrate your body and your medical team won't be prepared with the right fluids for you during surgery. This can then cause cardiac issues which can also be deadly.

I know a bowel prep is not fun. I hate them. And I also have IBS. But every woman needs to follow her doctor's orders for her as the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and entire surgical team will proceed with surgery as if you had and the risks can be fatal if you did not follow instructions.

Here is an article that might be a bit helpful, but, please, everyone talk to YOUR doctor and follow YOUR instructions in this matter. It is serious and it does matter.

Thank you and you are right. I need to call my doctor and see if he wants me to do one. Honestly, I hadn't thought about since I was scheduled for surgery (it came as a surprise) it until I saw this thread. I also have stage IV endo and both ovaries and uterus are adhered to my bowel so I will definitely be calling to ask.

Unread 03-31-2012, 05:37 PM

I didn't mean to imply not to follow doctors orders on my previous post. I meant I would need very good reason why I would have to do it with my sympstons and would be asking the doctor. I get very sick and dehydrated and migraines after preps.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register