Laparoscopic Myomectomy - what do I need to know? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Myomectomy - what do I need to know? Laparoscopic Myomectomy - what do I need to know?

Unread 06-11-2013, 03:19 AM
Laparoscopic Myomectomy - what do I need to know?

Hi all!

I finally have a confirmed date for my laparoscopic myomectomy - 4th July!! So in a little over 3 weeks I will be free of my 2 uninvited guests!

For those of you who have had the procedure done, is there anything that you wish you had known before you had it? Or anything that you think might be useful for me to know from your experiences? Top tips for healing/dealing with discomfort afterwards etc? I'm just wondering what to expect really.

I am due back at work 13 days after the surgery date - am hoping that this isn't a bit too optimistic!

Thank you xx

Edited to add: Actually I have another question as well...

Did you bleed a lot post op? Should I invest in some maternity pads or is it likely to be more like a "normal" (ha ha ha!!!) period?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2013, 05:54 AM
Re: Laparoscopic Myomectomy - what do I need to know?

Hello, I had my lap myo on 5/21/13. So just passed my 3 week mark. I really think you may be too optimistic at returning to work after 13 days. Make sure you Have someone that can help you around the house, getting in and out of bed, As getting around will not be as easy. I've only driven one time since my surgery, No heavy lifting or overexerting yourself, I still have not had my Menstrual cycle, But I have been on Lupron since January. My fibroid was farely large, 20 weeks, and I did not want a hysto, I'm only 33 years old , but the mother of a wonderful 11 year old son :-) If medically necessary, I trusted my surgeon to make the right decision. Anyhow, walking is good, be as active as u can now it helps with recovery. I ran a half marathon jn Jan. And I did two mud runs and a color run since my diagnosis. It is major surgery, even tho minimally invasive, please take your time in bouncing back. Ive been stuck on pinterest and enjoying concocting my own at home beauty remedies. Tomorrow I travel to Washington DC, however I wish that I would have waited just a bit more time to travel, but my advised me Id be ok. Im sure I will be :-). I return to work on june 26. All the best and God be with you :-)
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:57 AM

I am still cramping alot but my doc assures me thats good as my uterus is contracting, also, expect irritation and itch where your bandages are, its bearable tho. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2013, 06:04 AM

And when coughing, a pillow placed on the abdomen is good. I bought a pillow pet for cheer. Sleeping will be a challenge, if u sleep on your stomach. I just started sleeping on my stomach after about 2 weeks. A body pillow is good, and basically a pillow fort. Lol. You might find it easier to sleep if you lay a bit propped up (as if you were in a hospital bed) i only stayed overnight in the hospital. Please keep me posted on your procedure and recovery :-) If i can think of anything else Ill be sure to post. Oh! Treat yourself to a gel mani/pedi before surgery, it'll last much longer for you. :-)
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:26 PM

I don't regret having a myomectomy but going back to work so soon might not be a good idea. I was on pain meds for about two weeks after my laparoscopic myomectomy It took about a month before I was really moving around much. But everyone is different you might bounce back quick but remember just because its a laparoscopic myo. doesn't mean its going to be easy its still a major operation. I think most doctors say its a two week down time and it is really an unrealistic number. I would give yourself a good 4 - 6 weeks to recover .... don't push it you only have one chance to heal right
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:14 PM

The gas was the worse for me. It took a while to get rid of it. Lots of walking inside where it is cool. I made the mistake of going to the grocery store with my husband and had a laughing attack on one of the isles. I doubled over in pain! The pillow was my favorite friend for some time.
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM

Hi Hoshi!
Good for you! You will feel good after you are free of those two unwanted little guys ;-)
Take it easy, it's still a surgery, and you need your time to heal and there is only one chance to heal. I had mine aaaaages ago and I went back to work after two weeks. I was a teacher at that time, and after the first class I was wiped out... Soooo, be prepared to really take it slowly... Don't expect to feel back to your old self right away. Of course everybody is different and your energy level might be higher sooner. But don't push it.
And listen to your doc and your body, no lifting! Light diet, so you don't have problems with #2 - your tummy will hurt for a while so give it a break ;-)
Good luck!
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM

Thank you everyone for your input - sorry its taken me a while to respond, its been rather hectic here!

Sounds like my consultant has been pretty optimistic about recovery times, he reckons that I could feel OK to be back at work within a week! I've got 2 weeks booked off, but have agreed that when I do go back I can cover just the admin side of things (I work as senior receptionist/administrator in a GP surgery). Working on the reception desk can be very busy/stressful and involves lots of running around, whereas the admin side I can just sit down all day so its a lot less physical.

Will make sure I have plenty of pillows and cushions around for support. Hubby has got a load of box sets of TV series that we haven't seen yet so I can sit and watch them! lol. Can't get my nails done before surgery as am not allowed to have nail polish on, but I could look into finding a mobile technician that could come to me at home afterwards

So is gas a problem then? Will stock up on peppermint tea! Am feeling such a mixture of excitement to have them out, and scared witless about having the op!
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM

This is my first post and hope it is not TMI!

Background: I was first diagnosed with fibroids in my college years. I am now 53 years old. Until I was 50, the fibroids (or should I say singular fibroid--see more later) really didn't bother me so I was following the "watchful waiting" protocol with regular appointments with my gynecologist. Every six months he would do a sonogram to monitor the size of one particular (subserosal) fibroid, which while large 12cm x 11cm x 10cm was (unbelievably) not really causing any recurring problems or symptoms. Also, the ONLY option that my gynecologist proposed was an abdominal hysterectomy with a vertical incision! When asked about a bikini incision, he said it was "too large" and wouldn't be possible. He also said a myomectomy would be "too bloody." Given the choice of living with my "alien baby" or having major surgery, I chose the former.

Well, the need to get up 2-3 times each nite to pee was getting old, but I just grinned and beared it. But that changed on November 19, 2012. That night (which was the evening before my father's funeral :-( ) I woke up with my stomach hard and distended and got up to urinate. Well, guess what? I was totally unable to void. While this was not the first time that I had a hard time "getting started," this was different. All the tricks that worked in the past relatively quickly (e.g., going back to bed and doing inverted yoga poses and listening to running water) didn't work. They just made it worse. Finally, after an agony-filled hour, I was finally able to dribble out some urine. The constant feeling of still needing to void, however, stayed with me for about five full days. It was time to do something.

What I did: I'm providing this information for others so they can see at least one person's "due diligence" and thought process. Because everyone is unique, take it as only one person's perspective on this vexing issue.

* Urologist visit - Visited urologist who performed a cystoscopy. This is a test that allows your doctor to look at the inside of the bladder and the urethra using a thin, lighted instrument called a cystoscope. The procedure confirmed that the fibroid was "flattening" my bladder. OK, at least I know that the fibroid is the likely cause of my urinary problems. (I was concerned that the stress of my father's passing could have somehow caused some weird reaction, but this was not the case.)

* Got a second opinion from a different gynecologist - This was the BEST. DECISION. EVER. Wow, what a breath of fresh air. I did a LOT of research to find a gynecologist/surgeon and it was well worth it. I highly recommend that everyone do as much research as possible to find someone who is regularly performing surgeries, not just pap smears..... He performed another sonogram and explained the options that could be possibly considered including LAVH, MrFUS, Uterine fibroid embolization, and laparoscopic myomectomy. He recommended getting an MRI to really know what we were dealing with, as it is more precise that the sonogram images. He also ordered hormone level tests to see where I was regarding menopause. Unfortunately, it came back showing the menopause was still a while off.

* Second MRI - The alien baby had grown to 15cmX12cmx11cm. No wonder I was having increased "bulk symptoms", When I viewed the MRI the fibroid was taking up a LOT of pelvic real estate and the poor little bladder looked like a smushed peanut lying helplessly below the hulking alien fibroid. I really think that my hormones were causing this thing to have a "growth spurt."

* UFE and MfFUS ruled out as possible options - Once the images were in, the size of the fibroid did not make me an "ideal" candidate for UFE. While the interventional radiologist was willing to perform the procedure, he warned that the recovery would be unpleasant/painful and I might not experience relief, due to the size. MfFUS wasn't an option now due to the close proximity of the bladder. (Don't' want to accidentally "burn" organs you still need!) (I was lucky to have a great medical insurance coverage. Typically, this procedures isn't covered by most plans.)

* Laparoscopic myomectomy selected as treatment option - After a lot of research and reading, I settled on having a myomectomy. Due to the size of the fibroid, my dr. would use a morcellator. This is a surgical instrument used for division ("morcellation") and removal large masses of tissues during laparoscopic surgery. My dr cautioned that it might be necessary to "convert" to a LAVH, depending upon what he actually found once in surgery, e.g., how the subserosal fibroid was attached to my uterus. While this was riskier than a LAVH, the time and effort I took to initially SELECT the physician was key to my decision. His references and prior role as a surgical trainer of other physicians gave me the confidence I needed to make the decision. Also, he was also an expert in pelvis prolapse surgeries, and if the LAVH was needed, would also be able to ensure that the pelvic floor would be properly supported if a LAVH was needed. The choice of your doctor is where YOU have control! Don't settle on someone you don't have confidence in--Once you make the decision, you are turning control over to them---so make sure you are comfortable with the handoff!

The Myomectomy Procedure / Thoughts during recovery:
* Myomectomy surgery was successfully performed on June 19. The took almost twice as long to perform (4.5 vs. 2.5 hours) because the subserosal fibroid was soundly attached to the outer wall of my uterus. When describing the procedure to me afterwards, my dr. used the word "tedious" at least three times. BUT, he honored my request and did NOT take the easy route. He also said that the fibroid had grown to the size of a volleyball--.and showed me the pictures to prove it. (I asked beforehand to see photos if possible.

I'm now in the 5th day post surgery. The first three days were the worst--but still tolerable.

Post surgery-to hospital release - LOTS of brain fog due to anesthesia and painkillers. That was the worst part for me. Since I was under for over 5 hours, it will take a while for all to work out of my system. I didn't research anesthesia and, in hindsight, might have considered this more beforehand. Once in my hospital room, I was on IV pain killer, but luckily did not need to use the patient hand held button to provide a boost dosage.

Early the next morning, the charge nurse took out my catheter and told me it was time to walk the halls. It was hard, but walking and movement makes all the difference in recovery!! I tried to get up and walk about once every 1-2 hours. Each time was easier than the previous. Was able to dribble out enough urine, so was released. (Nurse reminded me to turn on and leave water running so that it triggers urination---good tip to remember!) When I came home, drank a glass of "Smooth Move" tea which was recommended in the HysterSister forum. It got things moving in the other department, so another good tip.

Since coming home, I've focused on:
* frequent, periodic movement (e.g., yoga bridge pose to move fluids that tend to pool around pelvic area, "bicycling legs in the air ", walking, stretching to prevent adhesions) followed by periods of rest/napping. This cycle seems to work for me.

* eating healthy - I have smaller portions since I've gained weight after the procedure--I think because of all the fluids I received. Eating a few prunes each day to keep things moving. A friend who is a former doula recommended raspberry tea to tone the uterus, so I'm drinking that in addition to water. Also, I have been avoiding alcohol, at least so far!

* Hormone patch - I have one. I didn't know I was going to get one so if you want to discuss beforehand with your doctor, do so. Some other forum posts indicate it COULD be a cause of the water retention?? I don't know about that but I'll definitely be asking about it at my 2 week post-op appt.

Other stuff: I'm wearing the ugly white compression hose since I've had swollen ankles/lower legs. I learned that you can alternate between both Tylenol and Ibuprofen as they have different chemical compositions, and may give more relief than can be provided using either alone. I was using both through day 4 post op. Today (Day 5) I'm just using ibuprofen alone and it seems fine. I have a small pillow to fit between my legs when sleeping at night. It help keep from compressing the swollen pelvic area. (Recent development, as last night I was able to roll to side for sleeping: previously I was on my back.) The same pillow is good for coughing and for car travel.

Back to work: I officially took off two weeks and, so far, it seems like it will be sufficient. I will probably try to do some remote work at home next week to see how that goes.

In conclusion, I hope that this gives someone some perspective. I was a mess beforehand worrying about all the negative things that could happen--none of which I could control or do anything about. However, a friend who is a cancer survivor, reminded me that the surgeon has a job and you have a job--and to focus on what you can control and pray for what you cannot. Good advice in my opinion. Good luck in your decision making and recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register