Had pre-op appointment today. Helpful info | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had pre-op appointment today. Helpful info Had pre-op appointment today. Helpful info

Unread 07-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Had pre-op appointment today. Helpful info

I hope this is helpful to someone. I am in the U.S.

I am scheduled to a robotic assisted (daVinci) TAH-BSO. This is what is on my surgery paperwork. The doctor has clarified this saying the robot will go in and snip away "everything" and all organs will be removed via the vagina. I was confused because I thought a TAH was an abdominal cut and he said technically it is since I will have small abdominal cuts. Touché.

My surgery is scheduled at 1pm on 8/5. I need to arrive at 11am. My pre-op instructions are: Normal diet day before, shower with antiseptic night before and day of, use a fleet enema the night before 2-3 hours before bedtime, use a medicated douche the morning of surgery, and nothing by mouth after midnight except taking approved medication the morning of surgery. I also have to watch two videos at home. One about the robotic surgery and the other about anesthesia. The nurse said I would have my catheter for 6-8 hours after surgery so I would be staying overnight and released before 11am the next day. They start the 23 hours at the time of arrival. If by chance I need a longer stay, they will call the insurance for approval.

My blood was taken. The doctor ran a HIV test, white blood count, base line(?), and blood pregnancy test. I had to authorize the HIV test by signature.

Along with no Advil or aspirin for two weeks prior (which is killing me btw) I have to stop all vitamins and supplements starting today. Only prescribed medications from now on. I take a pre-natal vitamin and extra D3.

That's how it happened for me. I hope this was helpful to someone who is wondering about what might happen before your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Re: Had pre-op appointment today. Helpful info

I would question the TAH when you are told it is robotic. What is the reason for the surgery? If the might be a chance the uterus is too big, then it could involve a smaller horizontal incision (about 4") on the bikini line. Or if they find more than expected and need to do abdominal.

You have to do way more than me. I did not have to do the wash or douche or enema and glad I didn't. Others here do. It all depends on the doctors preferences.

Stopping supplements, vitamins and pain meds like ibuprofen is common a week before. Many of them 'thin' the blood which you don't want for surgery.
Unread 07-28-2015, 03:31 PM

My pre-op appt. was very long. It lasted 3 hours! I don't have to do any bowel prep and he just told me to eat light a couple days before surgery. The night before the surgery I have to do a special body wash and they gave me instructions on what I should wash first. I can not take a shower the day of the surgery. When I get to the hospital, I have to do another special body wash, special mouth wash and a nose cleaning (some sort of swab) to prevent an infection.

Originally, I had to be at the hospital around 5am for a 7:30 surgery, but they changed my arrival to 6am.

Wishing you a safe, easy surgery and recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Had pre-op appointment today. Helpful info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteel View Post
I would question the TAH when you are told it is robotic. What is the reason for the surgery? If the might be a chance the uterus is too big, then it could involve a smaller horizontal incision (about 4") on the bikini line. Or if they find more than expected and need to do abdominal.

You have to do way more than me. I did not have to do the wash or douche or enema and glad I didn't. Others here do. It all depends on the doctors preferences.

Stopping supplements, vitamins and pain meds like ibuprofen is common a week before. Many of them 'thin' the blood which you don't want for surgery.
Surgery is for cancer and endo. I have abnormally large ovaries. There is a chance he will bikini cut if the endo is too severe and he can't get to everything. I did question the definition of robotic assisted TAH and he told me that's how he classifies this type of hysterectomy as the abdomin will have small
Incisions.
Unread 07-29-2015, 03:01 AM

I am in the UK and my pre-op was more about how I would generally handle surgery. They asked me about allergies, any medications I was taking, family medical history, my and family members' experiences with anaesthesia. I was given a peak flow test (I have asthma) and an ECG, and I had a blood test for MRSA. They also asked a lot of questions about whether I could manage by myself at home and if I needed someone to come and care for me. I only had to fast, no bowel prep or anything, and that information came in a letter.
Unread 07-29-2015, 10:07 AM

Hi! I have my pre-op appointment Friday morning. Surgery scheduled for 8/11. I was told for my appointment I will have blood work done and an EKG. For surgery prep the day before at lunch time I stop eating solids and have a clear liquid diet only. At 4 pm I have to drink a bowel cleanser and then nothing to eat or drink past midnight. I am also supposed to take a shower the day of, but my letter did not have a special body wash listed. My surgery is at 830 am. I am scheduled to have the DaVinci procedure also. My doctor is planning on leaving both ovaries and taking my uterus and cervix. Best wishes for you on your surgery day and I hope you have a great recovery.
Unread 07-30-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astropuppy View Post
I am in the UK and my pre-op was more about how I would generally handle surgery. They asked me about allergies, any medications I was taking, family medical history, my and family members' experiences with anaesthesia. I was given a peak flow test (I have asthma) and an ECG, and I had a blood test for MRSA. They also asked a lot of questions about whether I could manage by myself at home and if I needed someone to come and care for me. I only had to fast, no bowel prep or anything, and that information came in a letter.
Do you stay the night in the hospital or do you go home the day of surgery?

My blood test were to make sure I am health with no infections and to type match the blood.
Unread 07-30-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchance18 View Post
Hi! I have my pre-op appointment Friday morning. Surgery scheduled for 8/11. I was told for my appointment I will have blood work done and an EKG. For surgery prep the day before at lunch time I stop eating solids and have a clear liquid diet only. At 4 pm I have to drink a bowel cleanser and then nothing to eat or drink past midnight. I am also supposed to take a shower the day of, but my letter did not have a special body wash listed. My surgery is at 830 am. I am scheduled to have the DaVinci procedure also. My doctor is planning on leaving both ovaries and taking my uterus and cervix. Best wishes for you on your surgery day and I hope you have a great recovery.
All of our local hospitals do the special wash to help prevent MRSA. The doctors and nurses also wear a special lab coat and surgical gear to prevent the spread of it as well.
Unread 07-30-2015, 10:24 AM

I had a TAH and was in hospital for 5 days. They seem to keep you in hospital longer in the UK. It would also depend on the type of surgery. I think for MRSA, they only make you do the wash if you test positive for it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register