Labor-like cramps good enough reason? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Labor-like cramps good enough reason? Labor-like cramps good enough reason?

Unread 06-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Labor-like cramps good enough reason?

I have labor pain type of cramps every month. Doctor just gave me another Rx for pain or tried to get me to get back on the pill (makes me crazy). I went to a new Dr. finally. He mentioned the pill, I said "NO". He did the exam, said my uterus was enlarge and I had fibroids. Never a mention of that before. I'm happy that he wants to help me. I'm a slave to my period. I don't have a lot of really heavy bleeding, but those cramps!!! BUT, I'm freaking out a week before my abdominal hysterectomy. He's leaving my ovaries which is good, but no mention of this bladder thing. I really wish they'd do it vaginally, but when I called and asked the nurse she said that the fibroids must be too large. Couldn't have been any larger than my son!!! Boy there sure are a lot of us out here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 04:11 PM

I too had labor like cramps along with extremely heavy, clotty bleeding. I had 2 D&C's years ago and was told then that I had fibroids. But nothing was said about a hysto until Dec when I had my yearly physical and was told my uterus was the size of a 10 week pregnancy and to get a ultra sound. Unfortunatly with the holiday season I didn't get it done, my doctor called me in Jan and asked why I hadn't done the ultra sound so I made an appt right away. Mind you it had only been 4 weeks since my physical but when I went I was told by the technician the fibroid was now the size of a 13 week pregnancy and by the time I got in to see the gyno it had become a 16 week pregnancy uterus. It had tripled in just 2 months. I wanted a vaginal hysto but was told that basically at a 10 week uterus you can't do it. By the time I finally had a TAH my fibroid was the size of a football. Thank God there was no cancer, the doc had said when it grows that rapidly there is always a small chance. Anyway my TAH was the best thing I ever did. It has been 10 1/2 weeks and no period, no cramps and feel so much better. Good luck to you.
Unread 06-12-2003, 05:12 PM
yes

I too am having a TAH this comming tuesday..... I have a large fibroid, and they said that if its over a certain size they have to go abdominal... I think you can have babys vaganaly because your body does the streaching gradually while your pregnant, plus labor does more....
I too have the BAD labor like cramping, and my dr told me I could do this another 20+ years till menopause hits.... NO WAY do I want that.... nor can my husband and family bear to watch me go through it another month!! I think its enough....
but I also think its up to you.... like my dr said...its your body, you have to go through the pain, unless your anemic or have cancer you can wait as long as you want!!
good luck
Sheila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Re: Labor-like cramps good enough reason?

[Hi, thanks for the message. It's always comforting to know that there is someone out there who has the same problems. That is amazing about your fibroid! I never have actually had any surgeries to correct my problem, but the doctor I'm going to now says that this would be inevitable anyway. I'm glad to know you're doing well. Good luck.
Unread 06-12-2003, 05:34 PM

Yes! To answer your question, yes the labor-like cramps, pain, enlarged uterus and fibroids are enough reason to have a hyst.

I had a LAVH on 05/07. I had multiple large fibroids and an enlarged uterus. My DR got my insurance company to pre-approve the hyst based on a diagnosis of "excessive bleeding". Yeah okay, I was bleeding more than normal (and passing small clots) but the REAL symptom was pain. I didn't realize how much pain until it was gone.

I got a copy of my path report today. The only remarkable aspect on the report was the size of the fibroids. That's it! I had no other diagnosis - no endo, no ando, no cervical dysplasia, nothing!

But the pain! The pain that would never show on an ultrasound or path report is now gone. My life is completely different now!

The DR said it was just the size of the uterus tugging on all those ligaments.
Unread 06-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Labor-like Cramps

HepCat,
That's basically just like mine. The bleeding wasn't so bad, just the cramps. And I too had an ultrasound, with nothing to show. Did you have anything done to your bladder. That's what I'm wondering now. I keep reading about these bladder slings. That was never brought up in the doctor's office. How did your recovery go? I'm glad you're doing well. Well, now we can throw out those old granny panties! Thanks for the message.

ssblass
Unread 06-12-2003, 06:23 PM

I had minor stress incontinence prior to my surgery - letting go a little bit if I sneezed or moved the wrong way when I had a full bladder. I asked my DR about it and she said it was the weight of the fibroids and that should go away after the hyst. As far as I can tell there's an improvement. Let me put it this way, I haven't had any problems!

However, my fibroids DID show on my ultrasound. I knew I had fibroids for over 10 years but they suddenly started to grow the six months prior to my surgery. The ultrasound tech said, "Let's just measure the biggest 5, okay?"

I never needed granny panties. I have almost NO swelly belly at all. As a matter of fact, I get surprised over and over again when my hand rests on my belly and I find it's relatively flat (for a woman who can stand to lose a few pounds.)

My recovery has been largely uneventful. I did take 2000 to 4000 mg of vitamin C to promote tissue healing. However, it can cause excessive bleeding so if that's something you want to do, you need to discuss with your DR. My husband took 5000 mg of vit C during one of his surgeries and was two weeks or more ahead of the expected recovery rate.

As a matter of fact the worst part of my recovery was trying not to do too much. It's hard to be a good princess when I'm feeling this terrific.
Unread 06-13-2003, 10:20 AM
Labor like cramps!!!

Hi! I'm new here. I am really enjoying reading all of the post here. I can definitely relate to the labor like cramping. I changed Dr.'s after the first one kept calling in antibiotics, everytime I complained about the pain. (WITHOUT EVEN SEEING ME) And then he said the next step is a Hyst, because I had 2 ablations. Well my new Dr. that I started in Dec. gave me the pill. I took it for a while but it did not stop the bleeding or the PAIN!!! I have had 3 us I have a couple of cyst on my ovaries and a blood clot in my uterus. I refuse to take the pill again IT DOES NOT WORK!!! I have another appt. in 2 wks and another us next week. I hope he decides to do something. I am so tired of feeling like I am in labor!!!!!!
Unread 06-13-2003, 02:48 PM

It is really great to know you did so well (especially that you have a flat tummy to boot!). I definitly will ask the Dr. about the Vit C. I think the doing too much will be kind of a problem too. Maybe a cleaning lady for a couple of weeks would help!

Quote:
Originally posted by HepCat
I had minor stress incontinence prior to my surgery - letting go a little bit if I sneezed or moved the wrong way when I had a full bladder. I asked my DR about it and she said it was the weight of the fibroids and that should go away after the hyst. As far as I can tell there's an improvement. Let me put it this way, I haven't had any problems!

However, my fibroids DID show on my ultrasound. I knew I had fibroids for over 10 years but they suddenly started to grow the six months prior to my surgery. The ultrasound tech said, "Let's just measure the biggest 5, okay?"

I never needed granny panties. I have almost NO swelly belly at all. As a matter of fact, I get surprised over and over again when my hand rests on my belly and I find it's relatively flat (for a woman who can stand to lose a few pounds.)

My recovery has been largely uneventful. I did take 2000 to 4000 mg of vitamin C to promote tissue healing. However, it can cause excessive bleeding so if that's something you want to do, you need to discuss with your DR. My husband took 5000 mg of vit C during one of his surgeries and was two weeks or more ahead of the expected recovery rate.

As a matter of fact the worst part of my recovery was trying not to do too much. It's hard to be a good princess when I'm feeling this terrific.
Unread 06-13-2003, 03:10 PM
Re: Labor like cramps!!!

diplady, I never heard anything about getting antibiotics! I only rec'd Anaprox, Ponstel......of which I'm only suppose to take 1 every six hours, but have to take every three so I won't have to go to the emergency room. That can't be good for me! The pill did help with the pain when I was 17, but not anymore. Plus, I figure why are we trying to mask the pain when obviously somehting is wrong!! Good luck to you. I hope they come up with a good answer for you at your appt. Don't be surprised if you get to join us as a princess!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register