Blood Sugar a little high... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood Sugar a little high... Blood Sugar a little high...

Unread 01-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Blood Sugar a little high...

I tell you, if it's not one thing it's another. Yesterday I got a call from my GP that my Potassium level was dangerously low so she started me immediately on prescribed Potassium pills.

This morning I get a call from the nurse at my ob/gyn's office saying that my blood sugar was a little high. On top of that, she said my urine showed that I have a bacterial infection so I was prescribed amoxicillin.

Tomorrow morning I have to go to the hospital for a repeat of the two blood tests to see if I'm back to normal.

I swear my blood was messed up from all that bowel prep I did the other day for the IVP test as I had to have the bloodwork done at the same time right after the prep. I reminded both the nurse and doctor of that and they said it could be possible from all the fasting and fluid I lost during the prep.

I sure hope so. After all this I don't want to have to reschedule.

Wish me luck that my numbers are better tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2007, 07:24 PM

Hope all goes well for you.
Unread 01-04-2007, 07:24 PM

Wow, Diane. I don't blame you. Hugs and good luck!

Lena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2007, 07:32 PM

Wow! I hope that it was just the bowel prep that you had to do that has messed up your numbers! My endocrinologist can't make up his mind if I am boderline diabetic or diabetic. I am on metformin and am scared to see what all of this will do to my blood sugar! I actually haven't checked mine in a while. I'm supposed to check it 3 times a day. I also need to remember to take my meter to the hospital with me.
Unread 01-04-2007, 07:42 PM

I'm hoping it was just from the prep. I had a full series of blood tests done in October and I can't believe all of a sudden these red flags are there that weren't there before.

I know the doctors are just being extra cautious and leave no stone unturned.

The good news is that outside of the fact I have two tubes going into my kidneys instead of one (I guess I was born that way) my kidneys and ureters and bladder look fine. My CT scan of my lung is okay, too. I have a benign lung nodule (never ever smoked in my life) that needs to be screened twice a year for changes...no change! So those are two biggies out of the way. I shouldn't complain, I just didn't realize how detailed both my GP and ob/gyn are..which is a good thing.

At least I don't do bowel prep again the night before surgery; just have to do the little Fleet enema bottle before bed.

Thanks for all your support and replies!
Unread 01-05-2007, 11:37 AM

Great news! Had my bloodwork redone early this morning and everything came back A-OK! I don't even have to continue with the potassium pills.

So it must have been the bowel prep that royally messed with my bloodwork. I swear I was close to being dehydrated after it all, so it's no wonder.

Guess I'm good to go now. Pre-op consult done; bloodwork done; tests done!
Unread 01-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Hooray!!
Unread 01-05-2007, 08:19 PM

YAY! That is great news!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register