What's a Pre-Op?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's a Pre-Op?? What's a Pre-Op??

Unread 05-26-2004, 10:00 AM
What's a Pre-Op??

What is a pre-op? I am up in Canada and have not heard anything about a pre-op 2 days before surgery.
I am scheduled for TAH June 16. Haven't seen my surgeon for a couple of months, not since the surgery was scheduled. I had to go to my GP for a full physical though, exam, EKG, blood work, etc.
and I did get a letter from the hospital, telling me what time to show up and not drink after midnight the previous night...but that's it.
Getting really, really nervous here. What else should I know for the day or two before the big event? HELP!!

PS: This website has been an absolute godsend- the support and information here is incredible! It was recommended by my Dr. and I've been reading the posts since Jan. and it has given me a totally differerent outlook. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2004, 10:59 AM
What's a Pre-Op??

It sounds as though what you did with your GP was a pre-op -- but it is a little bit unusual to do it so far ahead of surgery (at least from what I've read)... but what you are talking about sounds just like my pre-op.... I think just for your peace of mind it wouldn't hurt to check with the dr and see if there is anything else you need to do -- and to ask any the questions you might have thought of since the last time you saw the dr.

best wishes
Unread 05-26-2004, 06:31 PM
my preop

I went in for my preop almost a month before my surgery is scheduled, and they did a urine test, hemoglobin and the ob/gyn did a exam, listened to my heart and the plastic surgeon looked at my belly. They both told me what to expect, the risks, and answered any questions I had.

Then I spent some time with the doctor's head nurse going over preop procedures, like a betadyne douch and enema. Then a quick visit with the business office person for the preauth papers.

No EKG or blood work other than the pin prick for hemoglobin.

They did however give me three phone numbers to call if I think of any questions, have any concerns. One is the nurse in charge of me for the surgery, one was the anesthesiologist office, and one was the hospital office. They also said to call the doctors if I had any more questions or concerns any time I wanted.

I am a little surprised they didn't talk about a chest x-ray, ekg, or blood work. But I am supposed to get to the hospital 2 hours before surgery, so I am assuming they will get blood to type and stuff there. I am almost 55 yrs old too, so apparently age isn't that big of a deal. It is a big university teaching hospital too.

So that was my preop. Oh, and they gave me lots of printed information about each of the three kinds of surgery they are doing, and the estimated times for each. They actually had down 20 minutes to open, 46 minutes for the hysterect, 2 hours for the abdominoplasty, and time to close and suture the incision, then 40 minutes for the bowel repair. It made it seem pretty real!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register