Tvh-bso | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Tvh-bso

Has anyone had this procedure that can give me an idea of what to expect or hope for? Dr. has not discussed which type - abdominal or vaginal - he will do. I am hoping for vaginal since the recovery time is shorter. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Tvh-bso

i don't think recovery time is much shorter, i think perhaps the only advantage is the no scar. there's a gal in my office had her's vaginal a week before my TAH/BSO i came back to work almost 2 weeks before her and she's still having complications. my uterus was too large to get out any other way and there were other repairs to do after 3 c sections, mine included repair of an umbilical hernia. i think they can get in there see what they are doing , clean up and stitch better, JMHO>
Unread 01-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Tvh-bso

I had a tah and Dr. declared me healed at 5 weeks. I did end up with a vertical abdominal scar, which is looking pretty good these days. My pain was not bad at all. I really did not have a choice, since my uterus was so enlarged due to fibroids. But I can tell you that my recent surgery experience was good. Not that anyone wants to go through surgery..... But I do feel 100% better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2003, 12:25 PM
I had TVH BSO

I had mine on 12-27 - everything went great. I had the spinal anesthesia - the first 2 days were a little rough but pain meds did help - nothing I couldn't handle. I was discharged 48 hours later - slept alot the first week - tried to keep ahead of the pain by taking the Lorcet and Motrin as directed (didn't wait until the pain was too bad) That seemed to work - by week 2 I was taking the Motrin and an occasional Lorcet. Now I am 18 days post op and feel really good - went shopping yesterday (don't worry my mom carried my heavy bags!!). I rarely take the Lorcet - I really don't have much discomfort, except for a little gas or when I have a bowel movement and it doesn't last long. I get tired easier but each day seems better and I have trouble falling asleep at night, only a few hot flashes but nothing terrible. They started me on .05 estradiol patch in the hospital - it didn't stick real well so now I'm trying the brand name-Esclim (same dose) In some ways I feel alot better. My surgery and recovery has been pretty uneventful - going smoothly and I'm feeling good. I feel very fortunate!! Other than working with the hormone thing I don't anticipate any other problems! I hope yours goes as well!!
Think positive - I know everyone heals differently and whatever happens you will be able to handle it!!!
Good luck!!
Unread 01-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Tvh-bso

I had a TVH/BSO done on 12-12-02. I had no complications. Had a general anesthetic and stayed in the "castle" for 3 days. The only pain I experienced was gas pain, and I didn't feel that needed any pain med. Some of those pain meds can only increase the gas and you don't want that. Take it easy, don't overdo just because you feel better. I did, and I paid with the horrible backache. Not worth it. Good luck and I hope everything goes easy for you too. Keep us posted on how you are--we love hearing from you.
Karleen
TVH/BSO for tons of fibroids, ovarian cysts and endometriosis
e-mail me if you'd like at ksbown@adelphia.net
Unread 01-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Tvh-bso

Thanks for all the info! All of you are making this a lot easier. Knowing what to expect relieves my mind so much! I go back to the dr. on Thursday for hysterocopy and sonogram. INSURANCE COMPANIES!!!!!! But after that - I should get my date!

Unread 01-15-2003, 03:41 AM
tvh/bso

Hey Karen,

I had my tvh/bso on dec 26th. What I remember most is the burning in my stomach would not go away and just the after effects of the anesthesia/demorall. I got out of hospital next day. Have taken it easy for a couple weeks and am feeling well. After up and down so many times in one day, I get the swelly belly. Also, I feel like I couldn't think the first week afterwords - pain meds??? We have my hrt figured out and I'm slowing down on the hot flashes. I don't mind not having an outside scar to have to worry about. I ready on this website somewhere though that there are over 100's of stitches inside. That's hard to believe. I tried driving last week then ended up in bed for two days. The twisting and turning the body isn't used to doing. Go in for 3 week check up today.

Overall - the experience has been better than expected. Good luck.

Tammie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register