New to Site and Surgery in January | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to Site and Surgery in January New to Site and Surgery in January

Unread 11-28-2003, 07:47 PM
New to Site and Surgery in January

Well, I am 34 and have two children and have been diagnosed with Adenomyosis and am scheduled for surgery on January 23. I am quite nervous about the whole ordeal as my family relies on my very heavily to be the taxicab and the supermom. My husband works the night shift (3 on- 3 off) and therefore I am a single mom half of the time. I am just not sure how all of this is going to work out and it makes me very nervous. I had laproscopic surgery in September and all went very smooth for that but this is a 4-6 week recovery not 2-3 days.

Anyone else having these apprehensions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2003, 08:06 PM

I am 34 and have 2 children also. I was very lucky to have my mom here and DH (husband) took off a week. I am up and about now. The kids have to do more for themselves. They sure had me fooled before, they acted like they couldn't do anything for themselves. I have my 4 year old putting away her clothes and picking up things. I just tell her mommy's belly isn't ready for me to bend and she does it.

Take deep breaths and relax, the world goes on. The kids may have to miss a few things. If someone can't pick them up and take them they will have to miss out. It is very important you put yourself first and take care of your healing body. I got permission to drive on Wed that was 2 weeks post op. So it won't be long for you to be able to drive them places, just don't over do it.

Ask any questions here and they will surely be answered.

Good Luck.
Unread 11-28-2003, 09:36 PM

Soccergal,

I understand your pain. My friends joke that if I can volunteer for an organization that will cost me time and money, count me in.
I actually had a friend tell that they would sit on my hands so I wouldn't be able to volunteer for another event.

I am fortunate to have 3 kids and a wonderful dh. I also work more than full-time at a job that I love. 3 kids are in different activities each night. My dh is the cubmaster for our scouts group and I could go on and on how we run in circles.

My friends have been an awesome support group! I had trouble giving up the control, but have had rides for all kids events the past couple of weeks. One friend made a food calendar and we had all of our dinners brought to us for the first 3 weeks. What a lifesaver. Today dh went grocery shopping, wouldn't let me go, and called 13 times. He was unsure about EVERY item and size. It was very endearing.

I had a tvh on 11/6/03 and am 3 weeks post-op. I feel fine and am doing quite well. However, I am still healing and occasionally feel twinges when I think I am over-doing things.

Ask your friends for help. You will need it and after your surgery you will be happy giving up the controls. A wise h.s. said that you only have one time to recover correctly.

p.s. I did bribe the kids to clean the house, decorate, wash dishes, and all chores that I normally do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2003, 11:25 AM

Hi Soccergal,
Welcome to Hystersisters,

I can't give you a lot of insight into how to manage things with children, but the other ladies have already helped in that area....

You might want to take a look at the Pre-Op Hints (click here) and the Post-Op Hints (click here), - specifically, you may find the lists of DO and DON'T helpful to share with your dh so he really gets the picture on what you'll be able to manage.

best wishes!
Unread 11-29-2003, 11:44 AM

Isn't it amazing how our family can get along when we aren't right behind them reminding them of everything? Makes them feel a little more independent and grown up for sure. We all like to think that they couldn't possibly manage without us but the fact is, they do and the world doesn't stop. Now maybe it's not done exactly how we like it but that's ok. We need to allow our children to help us and learn that very valuable lesson of love and caring. This is the best way to have them learn it too.
I think one of the hardest things is giving up control...we all like to feel needed. But during our recovery time, we need to focus on ourselves for once (which as a mom is hard to do) and let others help.
My children are grown but I know how it is running them everynight. I'm having surgery Jan 5 and my DD will be here to help for a few days before heading back to college. I'm fortunate that she's a PT major and knows a lot more about medical things than I do.
Take a deep breath and try to remember this will be a short few weeks and the kids will manage. I'm sure some other taxi moms in your kids' groups would love to help you out by taking your children while you're recovering. Hang in there....it will all work out!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register