Would a therapist help during this rough time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would a therapist help during this rough time? Would a therapist help during this rough time?

Unread 04-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Would a therapist help during this rough time?

It's me again.... I was just wondering if anyone has thought of going to see a therapist during the waiting period? I've had MANY surgeries before and none have freaked me out like this one... I don't know why... but I feel like I'm losing my mind.. actually counting the days (55 left) to my surgery and it's making sick to my stomach... I actually fainted three times in the past week and the ER docs said it was from stress... after many, many tests... am I crazy?

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 03:59 PM
You are not crazy

I have had several surgeries in my life and get more nervous with each one. I would think it should be just the opposite but for me it is not.
I get sick to my stomach and have trouble breathing. I was awake until 1am this morning, not good when the alarm goes off at 5:30 am !

Sometimes it does help to talk to a therapist, but sometimes I think SOME bring up more problems than what you went to them for so choose carefully and tell them it's short term.
If you have a pastor, a caring friend who has been through it or know a nurse your trust they may be someone good to talk to. Or you could just talk to us. We are in the same boat.

Do whatever you think you need to do. Also, some Dr.'s will give you an anti anxiety medication just for between now and then. They help some. I have some and take one about every three days.

Is it possible to move the surgery up? I waited 2 months so that it would be more convenient for my employer and I should not have. I have had way too much time to think.
Take care
Sharon
Unread 04-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Therapy is a good idea

Hi Katiebelle

I would strongly advise you to see a therapist before this, I would also strongly advise you to get a second opinion if you haven't already.

This surgery is not all easy walks in the park - it is hard - physically and emotionally. I am 37 and two years post op and I am still having trouble with depression and sex.

Please really weigh everything up and if there is any less invasive things you can do - go for it. Once this is done that is it, no going back.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 04:18 PM

Hi there,

I'm seeing a therapist just because of this and it does help a little. I'm also taking antidepressants and waiting for the full effect of those to take hold. I was diagnosed with cancer and just freaked. Anything to help me cope day to day is how I see it.

Good Luck,
Margo
Unread 04-13-2004, 04:54 PM
So Sorry...

Hi I`m so sorry to hear of your anxeity. I know it can be terrible. I waited way over 2 months and was told I had a 50/50 chance of having ovarian cancer. The wait was the worse part of the whole thing. Now that it is over I can say the surgery was a breeze, I had a LAVH/BSO which is a lot easier then a TAH but I still had the same results as everyone, everthinig is gone, can I don`t feel any different just a big sense of relief and a extreme attitude of gratitude. I am so thankful for my results.

as for your long wait I found that my faith in Jesus helped me more then anything.

warm hugs and good luck, Joniangel
Unread 04-13-2004, 05:37 PM

Katiebelle My heart is with you. I have 22 days left and I feel like I AM going crazy. I KNOW I am stressing out. I have daily pain and that is really getting to me. I called my Dr to help me out. Hopefully the new pain killers will work, BUT I don't know yet. My life has changed since the pain kicked it's self up a knotch. I hate to keep talking about it everyday with my co-workers or my family. I feel like everyone might be getting tired of hearing me. My co-workers do care some about how I feel but my work load is more important. My family has to do more around the house [this is not good because the house seems to be falling apart.] I feel like life just S-U-C-K-S right now but I also feel blessed. I am tired then I feel like I am about to jump out of my skin and I want to scream. Sometime I just want to curl-up on the coach and tell everybody to go away. I know it will be over soon and I know this will all pass soon. You are not alone.
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:22 PM

katiebelle, I really feel for what you are going through and my heart goes out to you. I am much older than you (47), but I can identify with the feeling sick to your stomach and although I never have fainted, I did experience a severe panic attack in Walmart a week ago. The stress, worry, pain, extreme tiredness played a big part for me. I would strongly suggest that you find a therapist during this time. I have one and although what is happening (surgery) cannot be changed, talking to my therapist with all of his wisdom has helped calm me and begin to feel much better about everything. God Bless and my prayers and thoughts are with you!
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:56 PM

My original surgery was scheduled for 6/14 but I just knew myself .. I'd go nuts waiting so I moved it up to 5/4. That wasn't as convenient for my family or friends or employer but I thought doggone it, maybe I should put myself first for once. What a concept.
I do see a therapist for eating disorders and talking to her has helped .. she is helping me make a "plan" because believe it or not, another fear of mine is the recovery time. I tend to get really discombobulated (sp?) when I'm out of my element and my anxiety really soars, so she's helping me through those fears as well.
Plus .. this site is awesome. It's amazing how many people respond! I've been on some sites where no one posts for weeks. Here .. it's hard to keep up!
Thinking of you ...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register