Advice: in-and-out same day? LAVH/BSO - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice: in-and-out same day? LAVH/BSO Advice: in-and-out same day? LAVH/BSO

Unread 04-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Advice: in-and-out same day? LAVH/BSO

You are right to question the doctor. I would not have been ready to go home the same day. I had trouble with nausea from the anesthesia and had to get that under control. I also needed to use the morphine pump for at least 12 hours. Don't leave that surgery center until you are ready! As far as your husband's expectations, let him read stories from this site. There is a section just for husbands. It seems most doctors recommend at least a 6 week recovery period for an LAVH, BSO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 09:27 AM

Some guys just don't get it. I took mine to one of my gyn appt's to discuss the operation and the reason for it. My gyn is a man. This was a good thing and he answered all of my honey's questions (which he started asking after I got the discussion going) along with drawing diagram of why I need the procedure. & discussed recovery time. Now we're in this together.

Maybe you should make arrangements with a friend(s) to come and help you if he's not a good caregiver, and freeze some meals. I also don't see any harm in asking to stay in the hosp for the night - you know your man! Good luck with everything. I also worry that they'll find other stuff, but, I just tell myself I don't know it for a fact - it's fear not fact. When u feel like crap those what if's creep up it's human.
Unread 04-19-2008, 04:40 PM

It is usually an easier recovery, than with abdominal incision, but you still have major surgery. I went home the same day and I felt better than I expected. I still spent most of the first week in bed. The surgery and the pain meds. take a lot out of you. My Dr. said it would be 4-6 wks. recovery, regardless of how long I stayed in the hospital. No lifting, no housework. No way would I have been ready to go back to work in 2 days!!
I also think your husband needs to go see the Dr. with you. Mine went to my pre-op with me and he came out with a very good understanding of what to expect. The Dr. laid it out for him quite clearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 07:11 PM

It really, really depends on what they do and what they find. I had my hybrid LAVH/TLH (because they took stuff out both ways, LOL) on Tuesday. Surgery started at 7:30 a.m. and went on for 5 hours. I walked out of the hospital at 8 p.m. They were going to keep me until the next morning, but I didn't want to stay because the "day surgery" roomette did not have a door, the bathroom was VERY far away and the man in the next roomette was snoring to beat the band. I had a friend stay with me that night because the hospital required it, but I really didn't need any caretaking.
Unread 04-19-2008, 07:39 PM

I had a TVH on February 5, 2009. I was in the hospital for two days and am so thankful. The gas pain is by far the worst. They didn't even take my cath out until the day after my surgery. I also wasn't alowed to drive for two weeks after the surgery. Good luck with the surgery and your husband. He needs to watch over you and take care of you.

sugarbear4

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register