Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Dec 11, 2016 - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Dec 11, 2016 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Dec 11, 2016

Unread 12-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Dec 11, 2016

Well I'm home from work and catching up on the chat thread. I can't believe I started crying when I left, when usually I'm trying to fly out of there as soon as possible. I guess it makes it more real that THE BIG DAY is almost upon me.

If you're having issues with anxiety, definitely talk with your doctor about it. When I had my LEEP done in July, my doctor prescribed me some anti-anxiety medicine for the procedure when I told him I was having issues. Also, the last two surgeries I had, my blood pressure went up due to anxiety (I have high blood pressure anyway but am on meds), and the anesthesiologist both times gave me something to calm me down. Make sure you talk with the anesthesiologist as well about the anxiety because there are options to help with it.

I know some sisters have posted about meditation apps, and definitely try those as well. There's a mindful meditation site that's free that's helpful as well.

I just can't believe it's THIS WEEK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navygrrl View Post
Well I'm home from work and catching up on the chat thread. I can't believe I started crying when I left, when usually I'm trying to fly out of there as soon as possible. I guess it makes it more real that THE BIG DAY is almost upon me.
I am going to feel that way tomorrow when I leave. It's my last day for 4-6 weeks.It'll be weird, that's for sure. I've been with the company for almost 6 years, but only in this position since the end of August so I don't really know everyone well. Odd situation, really.

As for after surgery, I have lots lined up on Netflix and on my DVR. My doctor also wants me to move as soon as I feel up to it. Just walking around my apartment to keep the blood clots away. Have anything lined up to help keep boredom away?
Unread 12-11-2016, 05:13 PM

Scheduled for robotic assisted lap total tomorrow. Nervous and this mag citrate is killing me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2016, 05:19 PM

Anyone have any last minute things they need or want to do? For me it is last minute laundry (gotta put on clean sheets and all...) and tidying up the kitchen. Packing a "Just in case" bag if I happen to be kept at the hospital instead of it staying outpatient.

What are you planning to eat the night before? The night after? I'm curious on this one for sure.
Unread 12-11-2016, 05:27 PM

Good evening! My laparoscopic total hysterectomy is Tuesday. I'm looking forward to not having the very bleeding I've had for three months. I'm worried about hospital acquired infections and healing. Bowel prep all day tomorrow!
Unread 12-11-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RennersChick View Post
Anyone have any last minute things they need or want to do? For me it is last minute laundry (gotta put on clean sheets and all...) and tidying up the kitchen. Packing a "Just in case" bag if I happen to be kept at the hospital instead of it staying outpatient.

What are you planning to eat the night before? The night after? I'm curious on this one for sure.
I'm going shopping after my last final on Wednesday for all the things I need but keep forgetting (read: put off). I'm probably going to make hubby taken me to get some Korean fried chicken and EAT ALL THE THINGS!!! I don't have to have a special diet or do any bowel prep thankfully, and since I can't eat after midnight but my surgery isn't scheduled until noon, I want to make sure I do my best to stave off the hangry. It's bad enough I won't get any coffee (unless I wake up at 4am for a tiny cup).
Unread 12-11-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoreham View Post
I am having a total abdominal hysterectomy tomorrow morning. I have to be at the hospital by 6:45 am and will be staying for 3 days. I have had 6 iron infusions in the past 3 weeks. I am a bit nervous about the recovery period and would like some advice on the "do's and don't's" during the recovery period. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi mgoreham. Welcome to HysterSisters . . . we are so happy to have you join us. Due to a bleeding disorder I had 2 infusions a few days before my surgery. 6 infusions in 3 weeks is a lot . . . I know they can leave you with various reactions/symptoms and just an overall not feeling well on top of the weakness from bleeding. Take a deep breath dear . . . you can do this. You will be in good hands and your medical team will be doing what they do best . . . taking care of you. Please don't hesitate to discuss how you are feeling with your anesthesiologist and doctor before surgery. They will be glad to discuss what they have in place to monitor your levels during and after surgery.

Be sure to follow your post op restrictions . . . no pulling, no pushing, no bending, and no lifting over a gallon of milk. Drink lots and walk around a bit every hour to help with BM 's and gas pains. Don't be afraid to take your meds to keep ahead of your pain.

Remember that we are here for you dear . . . you are not alone on this journey.
Unread 12-11-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navygrrl View Post
I'm going shopping after my last final on Wednesday for all the things I need but keep forgetting (read: put off). I'm probably going to make hubby taken me to get some Korean fried chicken and EAT ALL THE THINGS!!! I don't have to have a special diet or do any bowel prep thankfully, and since I can't eat after midnight but my surgery isn't scheduled until noon, I want to make sure I do my best to stave off the hangry. It's bad enough I won't get any coffee (unless I wake up at 4am for a tiny cup).
I don't quite understand the bowel prep comments I've seen. Why does that need to happen and how do you do it?

And I kinda want to eat all the things as well, but when I had my D&C I did that the night before and, not to overshare, got a raging case of diarrhea over night and that morning. Thank God for moist wipes

Anyhow, I am going to try to be on here tomorrow night to chat. I just took a valium, actually. I'm entering freak out zone.
Unread 12-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Dec 11, 2016

Good evening ! I am a 44 hear old single mom of 2 daughters ages 24 & 17. I am having surgery December 15th. It has been a long 4 year ordeal and I am very happy to rid the monthly hemorrhage and pain. I am suddenly worried and am very nervous.
Unread 12-11-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RennersChick View Post
I don't quite understand the bowel prep comments I've seen. Why does that need to happen and how do you do it?

And I kinda want to eat all the things as well, but when I had my D&C I did that the night before and, not to overshare, got a raging case of diarrhea over night and that morning. Thank God for moist wipes

Anyhow, I am going to try to be on here tomorrow night to chat. I just took a valium, actually. I'm entering freak out zone.
Some doctors have their hysterectomy patients do a bowel prep. I think for those who have potential adhesions that are attached to the intestines or bowels are more likely to need to do a bowel prep to make everything squeaky clean. Not everyone needs to do one, and those that do are given instructions by the doctor how to do them, as that varies widely as well. I'm glad not to do one, as I had to do one for my colonoscopy years ago, and it was no fun at all.

I probably won't really eat all the things, and will be sensible and eat foods that will help prevent any post-op BM issues, but it's nice to think about. And moist wipes are a definite plus, and I'm going to make sure I have some around for after the surgery. It's on my shopping list, which seems to keep growing.

I'm not in the freak out zone yet, but I think that's because I still have so much to do before the surgery. Three finals! Ack!
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register