Pre Op 2/18/05 what to expect for LSH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre Op 2/18/05 what to expect for LSH Pre Op 2/18/05 what to expect for LSH

Unread 02-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Pre Op 2/18/05 what to expect for LSH

Can someone please give me a idea of what to expect tomorrow and possible how long it will last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 04:56 PM

Hi Keri,

My LSH pre-op was the length of a normal annual exam. I had to take a pregnancy test and my Dr's nurse weighed me so they had a current weight for the surgery anesthesia. My Dr. also went over the final arrangements for surgery and had me sign all the pre-op papers.

I did not have to go over a bowel kit. I have seen some LSH ladies post who had them. My Dr. said to just have a "BM" the day before surgery which I did.

I also had to have all paperwork at my outpatient facility the week before. They gave me the 24-hr rundown sheet for surgery. Not to eat or drink anything after midnight, etc. I also did a blood test in case I needed a blood transfusion since I had my largest fibroid right on my cervix. Turns out, the blood transfusion was not done during surgery.

Hope that helps.

Mary
Unread 02-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Hi Keri,

had LSH on Jan 18th.

Arrived @ hospital approx 6:00am. Sat in waiting for 10 min. Niurse brought me into room where I changed into a gown. Put into a room. Nurse came back and took vital signs and had me sign some papers.
Next was hooked up to IV. Asked if I wanted something to calm my nerves. YES YES YES. My dr. came in and talked to me. Drugs put into IV. Woke up and it was done. No kidding. I only remember the dr putting meds into IV and that was it.

Stayed in recovery for about an hr. Then wheeled to my room. Trnasfered into bed without help I must say. Had weird compression booties and cath in. Nurse came in and showed me how to use pain pump. Had no pain. She brought in ice chips and water.

Took out cath about 3pm and encouraged to walk around. I was told if I didn't pee by 7pm that night it would go back in. I did.
Had a light dinner, I think broth. Didn't really want it.
Had shoulder pain. I was told it was gas and to walk more, which I did. Also given something for gas. I did a shot from pain pump at bedtime. Thought I would need it, but don't think I really did.
Went to bed. Given breakfast in morn. Saw dr. Went home at noon.

My recovery has been easy and good. I hope its the same for you. The worst part of that day for me was the 10 min in the waiting room. Really.

I wish you "well"
Sirap

P.S. I did have some discomfort with dry throat from tubes. Luckly I had some throat lozenges and hard candy to suck on. It really helped. You'll do great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 07:17 PM

Hi - I am 8 days post-op from LSH with BSO. My pre-op was a final talk with the doc where she again explained the procedure and risks. I signed consent papers. Then they took my weight, took blood, and I had an EKG and a chest x-ray. That was it.

The worst part for me was the night before surgery when I had to do a total system clean out with Fleets Phosforsoda - not all docs require it but mine did. It was the pits!!!

The day of surgery I was at the hospital 2 hours before surgery - medical releases and forms first, then change into gown, give urine for pregnancy test (what a hoot - wonder if they'll still make me have those in the future....), get an IV and review my medical history with the admitting nurse. The doc, the surgical nurse, the anestitologist (sp?) all stopped in to chat and to tell me that all would be fine. I read that you come out of surgery in the state that you enter, so I concentrated on relaxing and staying calm. I was, actually - I knew I was in good hands and needed the surgery.

Afterwards, all was fine. Some light pain, some stomach upset, but nothing major and by the next morning all my systems were working well. Went home at about noon and am still doing great. The LSH was amazing .... the cuts are so small and I am so impressed and thankful that she was able to do this procedure.

Good luck tomorrow, and next week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register