testing for pregnancy before surgery?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

testing for pregnancy before surgery?? testing for pregnancy before surgery??

Unread 10-27-2008, 06:46 PM
testing for pregnancy before surgery??

Ok, I know that this is something the hospital has to do, but why? Can they make a common sense judgement? If we have both beed fixed, and I had an ablation, and they just did a test a month ago before they did my biopsy why the heck go through the trouble to test me again.

Like I said, I understand their reason, but that doesn't mean it makes any sense.

Cristy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristy_jeff
Ok, I know that this is something the hospital has to do, but why? Can they make a common sense judgement? If we have both beed fixed, and I had an ablation, and they just did a test a month ago before they did my biopsy why the heck go through the trouble to test me again.

Like I said, I understand their reason, but that doesn't mean it makes any sense.

Cristy

I dont know - but I sure hope I dont get pregnant before surgery!
Unread 10-27-2008, 07:51 PM

Because DRs and hospitals have been sued by the families of patients who were not given a pregnancy test pre-surgery and turned out to be pregnant, to everyone's surprise. And because sometimes, patients lie. The standard of care is that all pre-hyst patients MUST have a negative pregnancy test result before they can undergo surgery, no matter how sure they say they are that they cannot be pregnant.

We have had a few members here, scheduled for a hysterectomy, who were shocked to find out at their pre-op visit that they were, indeed, pregnant. They might have been horrified, rather than merely surprised, to have found out after they woke up from the surgery.

-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2008, 12:31 PM

Good point. I didn't think about it like that.

Cristy
Unread 10-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Do some hospitals just run the test without telling you? I know that they drew blood just before the surgery to check my hemoglobin and stuff. Can they run it off of that?

I hadn't even considered that as a concern after going through an ablation, having the Essure coils, and not having sex for over a year.
Unread 10-28-2008, 12:50 PM

Right before they wheeled me in for surgery they did a blood draw for the pregnancy test... they couldn't find a vein so they took it from my hand ( the IV already had the good vein!) all I could say was ouch! Well after my surgery I had some weird dreams and one of them was about vampires and pregnancy tests... go figure!!!!!!
Unread 10-28-2008, 01:54 PM

LOL, what no dream the vampire got you pregnant?

Cristy
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:04 PM

I believe it falls under the 'better safe than sorry' category.

On a side note, my tumor was so large (the surgeon compared it to a basketball!), that I looked like I was ready to deliver any day. When I went in for my first CT scan, the tech asked me if I was pregnant. I said no. He then asked me if I was sure I wasn't pregnant. Again I said no. Would you believe he asked me a third time, this time more like 'are you sure there's no possibility you could be pregnant'? That's when I mentioned to him that I was currently on my period, and my husband had a vasectomy 10 years ago. That seemed to reassure him that I really was not pregnant!
Unread 10-28-2008, 08:31 PM

People sue for crazy stuff these days, I guess they just want to cover themselves. I was never given a prego test but Dr. kept asking if I was sure that we were done having kids. And I got my tubes tied 8yrs ago!
Unread 10-28-2008, 09:15 PM

Not a test that they gave me, pre-op.

I do have to say that, an hour post-op I had a CAT scan.....the tech asked if there was any chance that I was pregnant. I responded. "I don't think so, I had a hysterectomy 90 minutes ago."

Doh, they do not really read charts well, sometimes!

At a post-op visit, the nurse asked about my last period...I asked if that really mattered. LOL!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register