Making that decision - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Making that decision Making that decision

Unread 01-27-2003, 03:30 PM
no apology necessary

Hi Jacque, I was not offended and I probably should have said that the more I read the more afraid I am, however, I want to learn as much as I can from the ladies here, so that I'm prepared. I should apologize to you for sounding like YOUR post frightened me. I realize that every women's experience with surgery and menopause/hormones etc. will be different from the next and I may also regret my decision to proceed with the hysterectomy...I'm sure many women probably do for various reasons. Nobody told me this was going to be easy and I don't expect it to be.
I was mostly concerned to learn more from you about the endo being attached to your bowel and what was done during surgery to correct that.
I wish you the very best.
Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Making that decision

Trish

I wish I could tell you more about the problems with the bowels. I was lucky and my doc caught it early. He did have to be very careful when removing. But fortunately it did not damage my bowels. However I did have "MAJOR" (and still have minor) pain, when moving my bowels after surgery. Which my doc said was probably from the fact that the adhesions were attached to my bowels in the first place. I would definitely recommend after your surgery that you take Colace (stool softener) and laxatives or fiber rich foods. I had a bought of constipation after the surgery that felt as though I was being stabbed in the abdomen.

Ever since the adhesion/ bowel incident I have had at least 3-4 boughts of constipation a year. Sometimes it is very minor, others it lasts for days and I can't even sit up to drive.

Thanks for sharing, all Hyster sisters are s

to you all
Unread 01-27-2003, 03:58 PM
another point of curiosity

D & C is a procecure where the surgeon is working blind and a hysteroscope is superior since the scope allows the surgeon to visualize the interior of the uterus. The scope will collect tissue for a biopsy too. You mentioned heavy bleeding, which I had, and was caused by fibroids and polyps in my uterine cavity. Did a d & c for that at first and wound up having to go back in with a hysteroscope since the furst surgery missed some of the polyps.

I have had one hysteroscopy done in the office. Brought in a anesthesiologist to do conscious sedation and able to get in my hard to access uterus and cervix with the meds on board. No pain, got to see with my own eyes that no regrowth of fibroids or polyps going on in the uterine cavity. Didn't even have to change into a surgical gown, just took off my panties and hiked my skirt.

I have also had other meds to relax me given for hysterosalpingograms and hysterosonograms. (tubal x-ray and fluid ultrasounds). Made things a lot easier! Took some convincing with some of my docs to do conscious sedation but I did convince them.

I proceeded with my hyster since I also had fibroids in the uterine muscle, adenomyosis and recurrent hemmorhagic ovarian cysts. Frankly, after 12 surgeries, I was a bit tired of all the dusting and cleaning (nickname for d & C) that didn't solve anything. I lost my left ovary to surgical adhesions and the right ovary was headed that direction. History of ovarian and other cancers and no problem with removing unhealthy organs and getting the bonus of no more cancer fear.

My post op pain for the hyster was well controlled. Honestly, I have had far worse periods that the post op pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Making that decision

MeD,

In my long winded history, I forgot to mention that yes, my DR has also done hysteroscopy at the time of the D&C. Again, no cancer noted, but the constant fear that maybe they're missing something every month when I discharge has me a bit stressed.

Obviously things have not worked perfectly down there, and I continue to monitor through regular check-ups.

I tend to think that with both doctors telling me the hyst is an option, I am a candidate. Now, convincing my head and heart is another thing.

Bonnie
Unread 01-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a hard decision

Bonnie, it does sound like you have a difficult decision. It's not an emergency so you have time to investigate all you want and think about what to do.

Jacque, I was not offended by your post either. I did think it sad that you have regrets and that it was a good reminder to others to make sure they have done all the soul searching and research they need to do so that they are comfortable with their decision. When I had my hysterectomy I was aware of the possible problems and knew if I ran into any it would not mean I would regret the surgery, only disappointed that I had another problem to deal with. (And I do, actually.)

To tell you the truth, I wasn't aware of the problem I ended up with - an incisional hernia. Nevertheless, I know my surgery was necessary and lifesaving and facing another surgery isn't what I'd hoped for, but it goes with the territory.

Joselle
Unread 01-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Making that decision

Joselle- thank you for your last post. It is like you read my mind.

I thought that I had done tons of research. If there was a book in the library about gyno, I read it, if there was a website about gyno I searched it.

But I did not find this site until after my surgery. That is when I found out that just because my "parts" are gone doesn't mean that the endo won't come back. GREAT!! Yet another problem.

I am not sure if it is so much a "regret" or a disappointment that "all was not solved." And the fact that my gyn Dr dismissed me as a patient now that I do not have all of the female "parts" that I was born with.

All of you, my hyster-sisters, have made the last 2years so much easier for me, BLESS YOU ALL!!!

Unread 01-28-2003, 12:40 PM
No offense taken!

Safetyfox:

No need to apologize. I take no offense in your response to my post. Yes, I am struggling in the decision-making process...but that's why I'm here! To get input and thoughts from other sisters. I need honest perspectives.

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in. I'm leaning towards having the hyst because I know the alternative of a yearly D&C and the subsequent "waiting for the results" will be a constant stress factor! And I don't want to have to question four or five years down the road, "Why didn't I do it back then?."

I'll keep you posted. I have a feeling that once I make that final decision and get a date..I'll be here a lot! I hope all of you won't get sick of hearing from me!

Bonnie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register