concern about losing my ovaries | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

concern about losing my ovaries concern about losing my ovaries

Unread 04-24-2013, 10:58 AM
concern about losing my ovaries

Reading some of these post really got me worried I have not had the surgery yet ask for a second consult with dr. On the 30th of this month. My dr. and I decussed removing my uterus do to a very large mass and removing my ovaries because I have a cyst on one and have had polyps removed in the past . I am concern about going straight into menopause engaged, enjoy our time together ,no sex life is scary, side effects from removing ovaries, not sure what to do in making the right decision that is best for me. I am perimenapausal right now not at menapause age yet. Need help making decision. She spoke of de vinci surgery. Help lost and confused and worried. Got to get the mass out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Re: concern about losing my ovaries

Sorry I'm not able to help much. I hope when they do go in they get a better view of your ovaries and perhaps they may be able to save them. From what I hear, ovaries still can work up into your 80's.
wishing you the best of luck and hoping you can keep your ovaries!
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Hi pepper088!

I had a very large, complex ovarian cyst and multiple uterine fibroids, and my gyn onc removed everything. He said that the likelihood of my other ovary doing the same thing was very high. So, I had the TAH BSO. I was plunged into surgical menopause at age 46 (was not in peri-menopause either) ... I was VERY MISERABLE and went on HRT. That gave me my life back.

I know that it is very confusing, but talk to your doctor about the likelihood of surgery again on your health ovary, if it is healthy. It is a balance of what is best for your health in the long run, and sometimes for ladies like me, it is better to have everything out.

This is a decision that you have to make in consult with your doctor. Make the decision that is right for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2013, 10:28 PM

I understand how you feel, I also have a history of painful ovarian cysts on my Left ovary but my ovaries are working.My doctor has never suggested taking my ovary because of a cyst beause they always break and go away, there a pain but not worth taking them both. i have 2 large fibroids on my uterus and am having the Hysterectomy robotic surgery on May 2nd. My doctor said she will look at my ovary and then decide whether to take my left but Will keep my right ovary that will function just fine by itself. It's like a kidney we can function fine with one, Im requesting my right ovary to be left because I want natural menopause not to be Shock thrown into it. It depends on your family history and your previous problems that might help in your decision. Remember It's Your Body, your Choice just because they say let's take it All doesn't mean you have to unless it's a danger to leave it, that's my view
Good Luck Im totally with you and completely understand!
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:03 AM

MsEndo, I'm right there with you. I've felt for a long time that I'd eventually have to have my uterus removed due to fibroids and the heavy, painful periods.
My ovaries are not functioning properly, so they'll be removed as well. I'm so afraid of HRT, but I know it's going to be necessary. I'm engaged too and fear this will put a damper on our life together as a couple, but he's understanding.
Reading that marestail got her life back by HRT, gives me a lot of hope. My daVinci is scheduled for May 9th. I can't sleep at night for the overcoming fears I have about this surgery, but I have to lean on my faith and know whatever the outcome, I am strong enough to deal with it.
Please keep us posted on your progress!
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM

I have to have my ovaries out because of endometrial cancer and it took me awhile to accept this. I grieved the loss and have finally come to terms with it. My surgeon did offer hormone replacement therapy and I'm happy about that as it will hopefully keep me from crashing headlong into surgical menopause. I hope that you come to a place of peace with your decision.
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:46 PM

Thank you so much every one helping me I feel more relax from all the support, I see the Dr. On the 30th for a second consult.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register