Scheduled TLH TLH and Cancer? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TLH and Cancer? TLH and Cancer?

Unread 04-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Re: TLH and Cancer?

I made an appointment for May 8th with a third doctor. I really don't want to go because I want the TLH. I was thinking of canceling but I guess I should just go. I would hate to put myself through a LAVH if I didn't have to. I've never had children and the second surgeon said he felt it would be difficult to get the uterus out that way because of my narrow opening. It's so hard to decide....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM

Thank you for all that information. I didn't realize you had a cancer concerns forum.

There will be a gyno oncologist with my dr that will analyze a frozen section in the operating room. What they remove will be determined by the frozen sample. Although my doctor warned me that there is an 8% chance of error from that sample. What confuses me is that he said my uterus including my cervix will be removed entirely laparoscopically either way. That would mean that even if the sample had cancer cells it would not be removed in one piece. However, ghey would consider taking my ovaries and lymph nodes at that point.

A woman at my job had the daVinci done by an oncologist knowing she had cancer. Wouldn't that have had to be morcellated to do it that way? It must be ok to do that.

Thanks again for the info. I'm going to check out that article right now!
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieNY View Post

A woman at my job had the daVinci done by an oncologist knowing she had cancer. Wouldn't that have had to be morcellated to do it that way? It must be ok to do that.

With a DaVinci hysterectomy, the uterus is not morcellated, but removed intact vaginally. It seems wise getting a third opinion. Good luck with your surgery, whatever you decide~*
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Stacie

Laproscopically does not equal morcellated.

I had a davinci laproscopic surgery done by a gyn-oncologist and everything was removed intact vaginally.

Normally the only time the Drs morcellate is if they are doing a suprcervical hysterectomy which means they are leaving the cervix. For uterine / endometrial or cervical cancer they don't leave the cervix.

Normally what happens is they cut the organs free, bag them whilr they are inside you and remove thm vaginally. If they beliebe you are too small to have things removed vaginally they would do an abdominal incision and remove everything via the larger incision.

You need to get clear understanding from each Dr what they will do in the procedure to make sure they are actually talking about 2 different procedures and what is different about them

Unread 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM

I had the daVinci and turned out to have cancer. They removed it via vagina. Due to my age we left the ovaries in but I'm going back in June to have them, my tubes, and some lymph nodes popped out and this will also be daVinci. My doctor believes this is safe as do I as the odds of something getting spread around is minimal.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register