Scared! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Scared!

Hi! I'm scheduled for a TVH on June 2 due to periods that are not to be borne..it's reached a point where I schedule events around the week I'll be on the couch taking pain pills...I'm fully comfortable with the decision...but I'm scared silly! Seems like I can't even concentrate well because I'm worrying about the surgery, the things I have to do before the surgery, the things I won't be able to do after the surgery, money while I'm out of work...and so on and so on. Any words of wisdom for a very anxious Lady in Waiting?
No horror stories, please, I'm scared enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Scared!

Hi Jerilp,
I'm 5+ weeks post op from a TVH...I can tell you what I did to make things easier.
I don't work but was on a retreat planning committee scheduled the weekend before my surgery. That kept my mind a bit distracted while I was waiting for the "big day". I was actually anxious to have the surgery because, like you, I was housebound with long, heavy periods (10 weeks!) and was looking forward to being well again. I also thought a few weeks of R and R sounded pretty good........in other words, your attitude plays a big part.
I did lots of research, talked to fellow hyster friends, etc, so I felt like I was prepared. (There was even a speaker at our retreat on Menopause!)
I let the pampering begin early......shopped for cute sweats, nighties, slippers. Bought some magazines and stocked up on books. Planted fresh flowers in the pots I would be staring at from my perch on the couch.
The hopital stay was uneventful..came home the next day needing only Motrin for pain.
Friends brought meals and had them scheduled for 3 weeks...we actually cancelled after the 1st week cause I was in as good as shape as the gals who worked all day and then came home and slaved over a meal for our family! We kept alot of frozen meals on hand and picked up a few quick dinners.
I was fine at home by myself...no problems getting up, walking around. I used bathroom trips, lunch times etc as a schedule to get up and stretch a bit. Drank lots of water...guaranteed a short walk every hour or so.
One week later I was walking the dog, went out of town at the end of the week, spent a couple hours shopping and getting a new hair cut.
The biggest inconvenience has been to remember not to lift anything......I'm now walking 3 miles a day, grocery shopping, traveling..pretty much back to normal..or better than normal!!
A few days on the couch is a small price to pay for a healthy future! Take care!
Unread 04-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Scared!

Jerilp,
It is normal to be nervous. I can honestly say I was too prior to my surgery and did my darndest to try to hide it from my friends and family. But I wouldn't advise anyone to do that. As I would have honestly felt better if I had of released some of my stress by talking about it with them prior to my surgery instead of hiding it. I too was worried that I wouldn't get everything done prior to my surgery date. Being a single parent too I was trying to make all the arrangements and get all the little errands done that I knew I needed to get done as I knew I couldn't drive for awhile and am pretty independent and didn't want to rely on anyone to do any of it for me.
The hospital staff was wonderful once I got to the hospital in making me feel more at ease, especially that nice anesthesiologist (did I spell that right)...as once I got back to pre-op he gave me a shot of to make me relax.
You will be ok...the waiting part is honestly the hardest part. Once your surgery is over with then you are on the road to recovery. I wish you the best of luck and let us know how your surgery goes. We are here if you need us! Take care

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register